I'm scared that my S8 might be a fake.

SHoTaS

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
I had this phone for 2 weeks, didn't experienced problems, but first thing i did was do some benchmarks and check if they are simillar with other people's S8's. My S8 scored on antutu 174k first time. But only now I considered of doing it again and I was shocked by the results S8 scored 114k and antutu had a strange name showing not an "SM-950F" but a full name with symbols.So is there any chance of this being a fake one. Screenshot_20170720-004248.jpg

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I don't know if there is such a thing as a fake S8. Who would be making it? If the phone has a valid IMEI number, which I assume it does or your couldn't use it, then its a valid device. Remove antutu and enjoy the phone.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
You can get S8 clones from China that look just like the S8. Some even disguise the about device section to further mimic the real thing.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Buying from a reputable source should alleviate some of the worrry. I got mine through Verizon. They should have a pretty solid supplier.

Axidrain

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I had this phone for 2 weeks, didn't experienced problems, but first thing i did was do some benchmarks and check if they are simillar with other people's S8's. My S8 scored on antutu 174k first time. But only now I considered of doing it again and I was shocked by the results S8 scored 114k and antutu had a strange name showing not an "SM-950F" but a full name with symbols.So is there any chance of this being a fake one. View attachment 264126
Try running the benchmark after a restart. Running the benchmark a few times to get an average is also a good practice.

mase123987

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The fact that your screenshot is the correct dimensions, tells me that it is most likely real. Every fake I have seen makes it look like the correct screen size but is the wrong ratio once you turn it on.

Also, speed tests on phones are garbage.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Are the fakes running Samsungs front end? All the fakes I have seen try an look like some other phone on the outside, but there is no reason to go beyond that because once you see the software the phone is paid for.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Geez, you got me worried now. I'm gonna stop listening to you guys :)

Few years ago my buddy got a fake S4 off the internet, looked identical to the real thing, had the same software, but the sticker under the battery didn't look right. Upon inspection it had a lower MP and terrible camera, clearly had a slower processor, had less internal storage, and the screen wasn't as bright.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
You can always contact Samsung and check the device ID. If it came in the right box and was purchased from a retailer it should be legit, the fakes get sold on eBay and websites I would never trust.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can throw in the IMEI into an ESN checker like on Swappa. It should come back as an S8 for such a famous phone.

My prototype HP wasn't in the list but the ESN still checked so if no model comes back...

Axidrain

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's just something to do with how many apps are currently running in the background when you were doing this benchmark run. Also. Heat plays an important role too. The processor throttles at high Temps