Showing My Personal Business

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I use my phone 98% as my personal computer and as such I have somethings I enjoy that I don't want to share with others. So what I do since I can only read them when I am on the stationary bike or going to bed I bookmark them but again I don't want anyone to know of the bookmarks.

However, now that I switched to the Samsung S8+ it's showing my business. When I open a browser it shows the recent bookmarks which is the last thing I want. I Google it and not coming with anything of help. I did find by clearing browser history seems to fix it for now, and then eventually it does it again and so on. I would think there is a setting that tells the phone to stop doing that but yet to find it assuming it even does.

Please help.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use my phone 98% as my personal computer and as such I have somethings I enjoy that I don't want to share with others. So what I do since I can only read them when I am on the stationary bike or going to bed I bookmark them but again I don't want anyone to know of the bookmarks.

However, now that I switched to the Samsung S8+ it's showing my business. When I open a browser it shows the recent bookmarks which is the last thing I want. I Google it and not coming with anything of help. I did find by clearing browser history seems to fix it for now, and then eventually it does it again and so on. I would think there is a setting that tells the phone to stop doing that but yet to find it assuming it even does.

Please help.
If you're using chrome, try incognito mode. That's how I keep my Christmas shopping hidden from my browsing history on Amazon.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
You could enable secure folder and run the samsung browser in there. It's a different app than the one you are using now. An entirely different instance.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
In addition to "Christmas shopping," there's a few normal uses for incognito mode too. I steal free news from the New York Times this way, since they can't use cookies to limit me to 10 free articles. I know, I know, I'm a terrible person and such.

As @johnnyshinta said, secure folder is a good way to keep your private stuff private. Basically it's a phone within a phone, and nothing inside secure folder can access anything outside secure folder. You actually put a separate copy of every app you want to use inside this folder, and it will never see anything outside that folder. I use it to access my work email and chat services, because my employer's IT policy requires me to give them permission to wipe my phone if I choose to sign into my email via Microsoft Exchange. By using secure folder, all they can do is wipe the contents of said folder. My company's data also remains secure, since the folder is protected by a separate password. Which is good, since I won't get fired for letting trade secrets get out if ever drunkenly pass my phone to a corporate spy at the bar, or something. :)

I mention all that to remind you that "phone within a phone" doesn't equal privacy. It's a start, since people who know your password won't be able to access secure folder (as long as you set a separate password), but if you log into your Google account or something, your browsing history will show up on any device that is logged in to your Google account. Also, once you unlock secure folder it stays unlocked for a preset amount of time, and the default value is 15 minutes. So incognito mode is still a good idea, whether or not you use secure folder. You can even set a separate password for it, and have your own private bookmarks. If you want to talk about deep cybersecurity, remember that technically your ISP still has a record of what websites you're visiting on WiFi, and T-Mobile/Verizon/Whatever knows where you browser on their LTE networks. But worrying about that is probably overkill.

I guess it's a matter of who you're keeping stuff private from. If it's a wife, girlfriend, mom, etc. then I'd say that incognito mode is the way to go. If you're just worried about some Joe Schmoe picking up your phone and seeing your browsing history, just encrypt your device (and maybe SD card), and you're good to go. Like you, I prefer to keep my browsing history private from the outside world, but I don't really care if my wife sees it since I don't celebrate Christmas. So this is about as far as I go.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Or you can go into developers option and toggle "do not keep activities" on. That way the device "forgets" your Xmas shopping as soon as you turn the screen off..... ;-)

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't celebrate holidays tell people to get off your back - your business is not their business's!! I hope oh wait isn't there a secure Internet broswers like Edge? I know it's 30% faster than Chrome and has better security

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just curious... How often do you go Christmas shopping? ������

Well there is Christmas in July to get one in the mood...for the upcoming holiday season. :p

To the op, use the secure folder & clear the cache/history if you have privacy concerns.

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
You people are a bunch of angels; I say that for my reasons for wanting this has nothing to do with Christmas or any kind of holiday shopping. Anyway, I am very familiar with the incognito setting but the problem is I make a lot of bookmarks for the subject in-hand and because of that they are easily accessible and due to how the Chrome works they find their way at the bottom of the Google homepage as suggested/recent bookmarks.

So anyway, the "Secure Folder" was the best suggestion due to the circumstances. If it wasn't for the bookmarks then incognito would have been the ideal solution.

Thanks for all the replies; it's true what they say about this place. Going to like it here.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
have you tried a different browser? there are lots of good alternatives. if your primary browser is chrome use the Samsung. however, if you log in with the same account it will always show. make sure you have do not track, cookies off, ect. what I do is use my Samsung browser fo everything but chrome for all my private stuff, but I use a different email and duckduckgo as my search. another option is to use a second email address. I use one specifically for Craigslist so they never get my real info.
just remembered, many keyboards have text recognition so be sure to turn that off. I believe Gboard does automatically when in incognito.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital