Well, how many of us are going to wish we waited for the Note 8

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly how I see it. If the S pen isn't of use to you then the S8 plus will probably be what you want.
The S8+ is the logical choice IMO if the S Pen is not what you're after. It's cheaper and it's identical in most areas.

There was a time when the Note was the undeniable superior device when it came to power since it packed hardware guts that were a notch higher than the S-line phone. But times are-a-changin', so you have to decide if you're really going to use the S Pen. After all, that's how the Note got its name.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are we going to wish we waited for the note 8?. I'm thinking I won't regret getting the S8 plus, I don't think the note 8 will be that huge of an upgrade. I think Samsung overdid themselves on the S8 plus.

The key differences of the Galaxy and Note series usually were: bigger display, bigger battery (hopefully), S Pen features, more RAM. It was meant for power users who demanded a bit more. The S8 still feels like holding a 5.1 inch phone, S8+ feels like holding a 5.5 inch phone, and I'm guessing the Note 8 will feel like the traditional large phablet 5.7 inch (small, medium, large).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
IF the following is correct:

- Same width as 8+
- Even more stretched display with more black bars on sides
- Same chipset
- Smaller battery
- Sharper side curves

Factor in more expensive as a known, I would suggest the vast majority of 8+ owners would be relieved they did not wait.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Well, how many of us are going to wish we waited

With the phones getting so expensive I think more people will start holding onto phones longer.

Can't happen with a sealed battery. You will have to let it go within 2 years of moderate to heavy usage. However, the hardware should be good enough to last for many years.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
IF the following is correct:

- Same width as 8+
- Even more stretched display with more black bars on sides
- Same chipset
- Smaller battery
- Sharper side curves

Factor in more expensive as a known, I would suggest the vast majority of 8+ owners would be relieved they did not wait.

Usually in the past, the Note series have the same processor but 1GB more RAM. There won't be curves like the S7 Edge or S8 because it would affect the usage of the iconic S Pen. Expect the curves to be less pronounced.

BTW rumor has it, the phone will cost $1000. I wouldn't be surprised as the S8+ was already $850 plus tax equals $930.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

@trucksmoveamerica#AC

Technical stuff aside, what would help sales IMHO is not do what Apple is doing by offering more for less (as long as it more than covers the cost to make the phone). The thing about Apple I don't like is everything is costs more than the alternative; MAC Book costs more than most decent laptops; iPad cost more than the alternatives; to get MS Office on a MAC costs more than getting it for Windows. Then again this is based on prices I remember from years ago; I stopped keeping track of this stuff in the last few years so what I know might no longer be true.

Samsung always had offered more than Apple, at a much better price. The Galaxy phones had way more features than Apple, and Apple took forever to include features. Animated live photos on Apple iPhone? Was a big hit and everyone was excited about it. Samsung been having that on the Note 3 and S4 many years ago. Touch 3D? Again, Note 3 and S4 had AirView.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Can't happen with a sealed battery. You will have to let it go within 2 years of moderate to heavy usage. However, the hardware should be good enough to last for many years.
You could send phone in to get a new battery, probably around $100. That's a lot cheaper then new phone.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

I'm guilty of upgrading to the notes also, I am hoping I can resist the urge. The 8 plus is a nice phone. If I do get one, it won't be a Pre-order deal, I'm content enough with the 8 plus I'll wait for a Sam's club Thanksgiving special or some good promo. The S8 series has already has good promos.

If the note 8 has the front embedded FPS, I will probably pass for sure, I'm one that likes the FPS location on the 8 plus.

The Note 8 should have fps on the back like the S8. All leeks are pointing to that direction. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i wish i waited although i love my S8 Plus i kinda wish they implemented the dual camera i really like the portrait mode which i'm assuming note 8 shall have.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm a camera, built in storage and S-Pen guy. So provided none of those disappoint, I'm in. The cost isn't a factor for me as when I decide on a new device, I start budgeting for it.

The S8 is a terrific phone. The Note 8 IS my phone. The only other contender is the next Pixel.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy Note was the phone that made me switch from iOS to Android. I have had 4 Note phones 3,4,5,7. They have been the perfect phone in my opinion. Not having one after turning my Note 7 was brutal. However, I have gotten use to not having the sPen and have been able to try four different Android phones over the past year. The Galaxy S8 + is awesome and I'm actually surprised that I am not excited for the Note this year. Normally I would be watching YouTube leak videos and anticipating it. However, not this time knowing that for $1000 I won't be getting much more than what I have in the S8+. The dual camera could be a few things, wide angle, zoom, or monochrome lens. I have a great dual camera on my Mate 9 and a great camera in my S8+. That leaves the sPEN. It would completely have to do more than what it has been doing to get me to spend another $1k. It's not out of the realm of possibility that I would get one, but maybe after a few months and not at launch.

batya7

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Love my Note 4 - use S Pen feature frequently. But screen has a weak area where the magnet from phone cas was located. So I would love :-* to have the Note 8 (and get a non-magnetic clasp phone case). BUT no $$$.

Naturally my Note 4 is finally paid off (30 months!) so of course, the battery is failing and I'm walking around with electric plug charger, making sure to sit near power outlets. :(

A new battery is a necessity. Does anyone have good experience with non-OEM replacement battery available on Amazon?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm fine with my S8+. I still have an old Note 5 that works completely well for anything I would use a Note for.

The S8 is the phone I plan to use for the next year. I went overboard buying multiple phones over the past few years. Time to settle down and buy one every year.

Same here. I got the s8 Plus so I'm in no hurry to order the Note 8. If there is a sale on the Note 8 in a few months then I might by one. If it's the tmobile or unlocked version I might break and buy it. Otherwise I might get the Tabs3 when it goes on sale again just to get an spen.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Usually in the past, the Note series have the same processor but 1GB more RAM. There won't be curves like the S7 Edge or S8 because it would affect the usage of the iconic S Pen. Expect the curves to be less pronounced.

BTW rumor has it, the phone will cost $1000. I wouldn't be surprised as the S8+ was already $850 plus tax equals $930.
Note 7 had the same curve as the S8 and S8 plus. I hated the curve on the s7 edge. It was just way too much. It looked good but interference with typing sucks.s8 is perfect curve

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

Same here. I got the s8 Plus so I'm in no hurry to order the Note 8. If there is a sale on the Note 8 in a few months then I might by one. If it's the tmobile or unlocked version I might break and buy it. Otherwise I might get the Tabs3 when it goes on sale again just to get an spen.
That Tab 3 looks amazing. I wish I could buying one.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Around Xmas and Thanksgiving time there are always amazing sales in the notes. I'll wait for one of those if I get one. Not going to spend full retail on one.