Need to help out my tech illiterate grandfather with his S8. A number of events led up to this question.

As of now, I do not know if he has enabled the feature which requires him to enter a pin before powering down the device. I will not find out until I reach my grandparents' house in few days, by which time I'd like to be prepared with all the possible solutions.
    As of now, the phone is not connected to the internet and my grandfather has been locked out of the phone(no fingerprint/pin available)
    To my knowledge, to access recovery mode, one needs to hold down Bixby + Vol Up + Power button. Correct me if I am wrong. These are my questions.

1. Is the feature which requires the pin/pattern to be entered before powering down the device a feature that is enabled by default, or one that must be manually enabled?

2. Does restarting the phone require a pin from the power menu require the pin/pattern?

3. Can I enter recovery mode through the restart option in the power menu? That is, during the restart cycle, after the device has powered down, can I hold down Bixby+VolUp+Power immediately to enter the recovery?

4. How do I perform a hard reboot on the device? Power button + volume buttons for 20-30 seconds?

5. During a hard reboot, after the device has powered down, can I enter the bootloader by immediately holding down Bixby+VolUp+Power?

6. Are there any other methods to factory reset the phone which do not require unlocking the phone and connecting to the internet?
    07-22-2017 04:51 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Here's the hardware key method for a factory reset: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34251 That shouldn't require a PIN/password to execute. However, after the reset, you will be prompted to enter the Google account name/password that was previously associated with the phone, which is Google's Factory Reset Protection feature. Hopefully, your grandfather remembers that information.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    07-23-2017 01:00 PM