Weird change on my S8 - Thoughts?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I have been complaining about the very DIM notificaiton LED on the S8.
I have seen others complain about the same, so it was obviously the design not
my specific phone.

I chatted Samsung to complain, blah blah blah etc.
This would have been about a week ago.

So I am sitting here working. I have my phone on the wireless charger, and I see it's done charging and the GREEN light is dimly lit as usual. I take my phone off, send a couple emails, texts, etc. Put it back on the wireless charger, and low and behold. After a few minutes, the green notificaiton light for fully charged is brighter than ever. Just like on my previous phones. I can see it. So I think I am going nuts, and send myself an email to get my Blue notificaiton.
Sure as ****! It is now lighting up nice and bright!

Am I crazy? Could this happen without an update?

Anyone else experience this change? It happened right about 11:30pm Eastern Time

I would love to hear if anyone else notices their notification lights brighter.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, Seriously not going nuts here.
It's back to DIM again! I have done nothing different, I sat here watching it blink nice and brightly blue
and without me doing anything, it just went back to a DIM blue again.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Check those​ apps, work great at my S8+.
b6ddbabc8e7d7f82077a595a9a4c5210.jpg
f92ccfd54df62b58af77255a2122ff27.jpg

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Very familiar with them, but not interested in 3rd party apps to correct an issue.

I am looking for an answer as to why the notification brightened up and then went back to it's DIM ways again not 10 minutes later...
I'm pretty sure Samsung had other priorities on their to-do list then about the brightness on notification lights like hoping it doesn't spontaneously combust lol. If third party software fixes the issue then in pretty sure the answer your looking for is a software issue, glitch, bug, overlook etc what ever you wish to call it I'm glad mine don't have the problem but then again I rarely pay attention to the charging light or any notification light unless I'm someplace where sound/vibration is totally off . It could be something as stupid as phone goes into sleep mode that dims it even if it wasn't intentional. Good luck to you with it hopefully it'll get worked out for u.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Samsung had other priorities on their to-do list then about the brightness on notification lights like hoping it doesn't spontaneously combust lol. If third party software fixes the issue then in pretty sure the answer your looking for is a software issue, glitch, bug, overlook etc what ever you wish to call it I'm glad mine don't have the problem but then again I rarely pay attention to the charging light or any notification light unless I'm someplace where sound/vibration is totally off . It could be something as stupid as phone goes into sleep mode that dims it even if it wasn't intentional. Good luck to you with it hopefully it'll get worked out for u.

It was a known change on all S8 and S8+ phones. it's not a physical issue with the phone itself, it was just the way it was manufactured.
For some reason Samsung lowered the brightness of the Notificaiton LED and didn't provide a setting to increase or decrease brightness.
So no, it's not something I am going to live with and use some bloat 3rd party crap with ads that i have to pay for to remove said ads.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Very familiar with them, but not interested in 3rd party apps to correct an issue.

I am looking for an answer as to why the notification brightened up and then went back to it's DIM ways again not 10 minutes later...

I just downloaded the app mentioned above and it works well.

I also use an Adguard Pro on my phone so I have not seen any ads in the app.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the app mentioned above and it works well.

I also use an Adguard Pro on my phone so I have not seen any ads in the app.

I figured it out. It's the ambient light sensor. In low light the notification led is dim, in bright light it's bright.
I'm going to wait and hope Samsung inputs a setting to allow us to override the ambient sensor for the led like they do for the screen brightness

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

So this app works well with the S8+ ? I used this app a long time ago, but then as Android and Samsung became more sophisticated the developer was having a hard time working around issues. How's the battery drain from it? I should still have rights to the paid version.

I will never understand why Samsung doesn't offer more functionality with LED control.

Now that I have the AOD version which shows all notifications (S7E didn't) I don't really need the LED.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They are trying to do away with the LED notification, they left it on just because people still want it. AOD will show your notifications. It could be the ambient light sensor. Make sure nothing is covering it, and also disable battery saving mode.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
They are trying to do away with the LED notification, they left it on just because people still want it. AOD will show your notifications. It could be the ambient light sensor. Make sure nothing is covering it, and also disable battery saving mode.

Read 2 posts up. Already stated it's the Ambient light sensor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2