Thoughts from a Nexus user?

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
After almost five years of using Nexus devices (N4 and N6), I am getting a galaxy s8. Can any former Nexus user reflect on their time with their galaxy s8/s8+, what they like and dislike? Did you guys try to make your phone look like stock android, or just gave up on the idea and embraced Samsung's Touchwiz? Are you using Samsung apps, or went back to Google's (e.g. calendar, clock, etc..)

Any feedback would be appreciated as I get mentally prepared for this transition!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for the S8, but for the Note 5. TW is still, for me at least, something I ma not a fan of. Aesthetically, it is getting better, and the S8 may be better still. The S8 is a device I might consider when it's time to upgrade later this year, but I am still not sure about Samsung in regard to being a future phone.

For the Note 5, TW still has some of it's own icon designs, so that coupled with Google, and then 3rd party apps, there is a look that isn't quite uniform. The overall response from the phone is ok. Some apps lag in opening from time to time, but it's nothing to be that concerned over. I'm sure the S8 with newer hardware and a slightly different version of TW will be a different story.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I came from a Nexus 6. I had custom roms and themed the phone to my liking. The phone was lag free, gave good battery life and I liked it when I had it.

After that I had an iPhone 6s for 3 weeks and then a OnePlus 3T (stock) for 4 months.

Coming to the Samsung, the last Samsung I had was the S2, which was in 2012.

The TouchWiz is a huge improvement when I compare with the S2. It's not a fair comparison though.

Compared to stock Android, I think TouchWiz had some good features and some drawbacks as well. The ease of setting themes, fonts etc helps set the interface the way one wants without spending too much time on it. Some nifty features like calling the contact by lifting the phone to the ear, swiping right or left to call or message, the edge panels, Samsung pay from the bottom of the homescreen, screenshot methods and easy share... The list of good features are long. I've used it for just a month now, and I haven't experienced any lag as yet.

So yes, I don't miss stock Android except for the notifications system.

I would have loved to have some gestures from the Oneplus though.

And.... I use Nova launcher on all my Android phones, so yet again the customization of Android comes to the rescue

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Some random feedback after receiving my device on Monday. Maybe it will help a fellow Nexus user thinking about getting a Samsung phone.

Customization
I'm laying low with customization: no Nova launcher or google now launcher, sticking with touchwiz as it is for now just to see how it goes.

Messenger app
I'm ok with the stock messenger app. Not doing a lot of text messages, but I like that some conversations can be pinned to the top.

Samsung apps
Ditched a lot of them for google's - calendar, keyboard, etc. Kept the stock clock. Could have given Samsung calendar a try if it were not for google's reminders, which appears only in google calendar.

Bixby
I have not tried nor activated it. So far I'm happy with google assistant if I need to set up a reminder or an alarm. May give it a go just for the sake of making use of that hardware button. Ideally though the hardware button could be remapped to use google assistant.

Weather widget
I like the Samsung weather widget, which I heard is not available if you switch launcher (haven't tried). The main reason I like this widget is that it gives air quality information.

App drawer
I don't like horizontal scrolling. Probably something I will get used to relatively soon.

Do not disturb
I'm very disappointed in the DND implementation. On my Nexus I had three different schedules for DND to automatically turn on: weekday evenings, weekend evenings and university lectures. Now I just have to stick to the same evening schedule for all days of the week and that's it. Also, on the Nexus I could turn on DND for one or two hours. This is no longer possible here, I will have to turn it off manually. This is my biggest complaint so far.

Smoothness
All smooth, except for some freezing on Chrome. couldn't scroll down one particular website - happened two or three times already, always with the same website. Never happened on my Nexus.

Samsung pay
Fantastic

Biometrics
Haven't registered any biometrics, not sure I want to even try after what I've been reading. Also, i don't like to have my screen locked, and from my understanding if I want to use samsung pay with the fingerprint, then there has to be a secure lock screen in place.

edit: to set up a new biometric, you first have to set up the secure lock screen. However, you can then return to an unsecure lock screen and keep the biometrics stored for some other purpose - i.e. samsung pay. I'm trying out the iris scanner with samsung pay, it seems quite fast from my limited testing in my living room.

Hardware
Gorgeous. I was hesitating getting an S8+ given that I come from a Nexus 6, but I'm happy with a small form factor for now. Using my N6 feels weird already.

Display
Beautiful. I kept the FHD+ resolution.

Edge Display
Using the edge display for my contacts so far, will think about adding other things. Not using edge lighting.

AOD and LED notifications
Not using notification LED, using AOD. I thought I would miss how its done on the N6 (just waking up when you pick up the device, or flashing from time to time when a new notification has arrived), but I think Samsung's implementation is better - except that I can't interact with notifications from AOD as in the N6.

Notifications
I don't think notifications can be done as well as in stock android. However so far I'm fine with them on the S8.

Battery life
Too early to comment. But only lost about 5% last night in standby mode (roughly in 6 hours). Was expecting worse. Not expecting great things however with battery life, but will let things settle and reflect on this in a few weeks.

Rooting
I already miss adblock, but won't try to root as it probably will be difficult to handle samsung pay and all my banking apps.

App shortcuts
I miss them dearly!

That's all I can think of right now!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Some random feedback after receiving my device on Monday. Maybe it will help a fellow Nexus user thinking about getting a Samsung phone.

Customization
I'm laying low with customization: no Nova launcher or google now launcher, sticking with touchwiz as it is for now just to see how it goes.

Messenger app
I'm ok with the stock messenger app. Not doing a lot of text messages, but I like that some conversations can be pinned to the top.

Samsung apps
Ditched a lot of them for google's - calendar, keyboard, etc. Kept the stock clock. Could have given Samsung calendar a try if it were not for google's reminders, which appears only in google calendar.

Bixby
I have not tried nor activated it. So far I'm happy with google assistant if I need to set up a reminder or an alarm. May give it a go just for the sake of making use of that hardware button. Ideally though the hardware button could be remapped to use google assistant.

Weather widget
I like the Samsung weather widget, which I heard is not available if you switch launcher (haven't tried). The main reason I like this widget is that it gives air quality information.

App drawer
I don't like horizontal scrolling. Probably something I will get used to relatively soon.

Do not disturb
I'm very disappointed in the DND implementation. On my Nexus I had three different schedules for DND to automatically turn on: weekday evenings, weekend evenings and university lectures. Now I just have to stick to the same evening schedule for all days of the week and that's it. Also, on the Nexus I could turn on DND for one or two hours. This is no longer possible here, I will have to turn it off manually. This is my biggest complaint so far.

Smoothness
All smooth, except for some freezing on Chrome. couldn't scroll down one particular website - happened two or three times already, always with the same website. Never happened on my Nexus.

Samsung pay
Fantastic

Biometrics
Haven't registered any biometrics, not sure I want to even try after what I've been reading. Also, i don't like to have my screen locked, and from my understanding if I want to use samsung pay with the fingerprint, then there has to be a secure lock screen in place.

edit: to set up a new biometric, you first have to set up the secure lock screen. However, you can then return to an unsecure lock screen and keep the biometrics stored for some other purpose - i.e. samsung pay. I'm trying out the iris scanner with samsung pay, it seems quite fast from my limited testing in my living room.

Hardware
Gorgeous. I was hesitating getting an S8+ given that I come from a Nexus 6, but I'm happy with a small form factor for now. Using my N6 feels weird already.

Display
Beautiful. I kept the FHD+ resolution.

Edge Display
Using the edge display for my contacts so far, will think about adding other things. Not using edge lighting.

AOD and LED notifications
Not using notification LED, using AOD. I thought I would miss how its done on the N6 (just waking up when you pick up the device, or flashing from time to time when a new notification has arrived), but I think Samsung's implementation is better - except that I can't interact with notifications from AOD as in the N6.

Notifications
I don't think notifications can be done as well as in stock android. However so far I'm fine with them on the S8.

Battery life
Too early to comment. But only lost about 5% last night in standby mode (roughly in 6 hours). Was expecting worse. Not expecting great things however with battery life, but will let things settle and reflect on this in a few weeks.

Rooting
I already miss adblock, but won't try to root as it probably will be difficult to handle samsung pay and all my banking apps.

App shortcuts
I miss them dearly!

That's all I can think of right now!
Textra can pin messages too. Just found out about an hour ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane