08-02-2017 03:21 PM
69 123
tools
    That's not the same device as my note 5 or carrier. Btw how do I fix a constant reboot on a rooted note 5? so glad I'm a phone addict or else I'll be stuck with this phone.
    Oh I guess I misunderstood your statement. Well of course I have the S8+ :P.
    07-23-2017 09:03 PM
    Oh I guess I misunderstood your statement. Well of course I have the S8+ :P.
    As do I technically. it's sitting safely in my mailbox. Now time to order a lifepoof case !!!
    07-23-2017 09:05 PM
    How many times are you guys rebooting your devices to get annoyed by a 2 second startup logo or jingle? I've had this phone for going on 2 months and I've restarted it maybe twice.
    JoshDunc and Amy wineBerry like this.
    07-23-2017 09:10 PM
    How many times are you guys rebooting your devices to get annoyed by a 2 second startup logo or jingle? I've had this phone for going on 2 months and I've restarted it maybe twice.
    That's my thought lol I only see a logo or jungle during an update.
    TylerLV76 likes this.
    07-23-2017 09:13 PM
    I mean to each his own but at some point these things start to get really petty lol.

At least they don't have the carrier name in the notification bar like iPhones do. Ya know, just in case you forgot who you pay your bill to each month.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-23-2017 09:16 PM
    I mean to each his own but at some point these things start to get really petty lol.

At least they don't have the carrier name in the notification bar like iPhones do. Ya know, just in case you forgot who you pay your bill to each month.
    Heck I can deal with a logo or jingle on power up. I am, however, very happy it has no branding on the aesthetics of the device. Lol
    TylerLV76 likes this.
    07-23-2017 09:19 PM
    Heck I can deal with a logo or jingle on power up. I am, however, very happy it has no branding on the aesthetics of the device. Lol
    Exactly! And with the ability to flash the unlocked software and any other carrier software, at this point it doesn't really matter what phone you get. I can have a Verizon phone tomorrow, unlocked on Tuesday and back to T-Mobile on Wednesday.
    JoshDunc and badcat like this.
    07-23-2017 09:21 PM
    Exactly! And with the ability to flash the unlocked software and any other carrier software, at this point it doesn't really matter what phone you get. I can have a Verizon phone tomorrow, unlocked on Tuesday and back to T-Mobile on Wednesday.
    Yup! Exactly!
    07-23-2017 09:23 PM
    Yeah I only reboot once a week so that is why it really doesn't bother me. I start the phone and then go do something like grab a drink or w/e so I usually don't even see it .
    07-23-2017 09:31 PM
    There's a jungle on an update?
    07-23-2017 09:33 PM
    Yeah I only reboot once a week so that is why it really doesn't bother me. I start the phone and then go do something like grab a drink or w/e so I usually don't even see it .
    Well when you have a self rebooting phone as I stated it reboots on its own
    07-23-2017 09:35 PM
    Well when you have a self rebooting phone as I stated it reboots on its own
    Well yeah but your phone isn't an S8 and also that is an issue that isn't the norm :P.
    07-23-2017 09:36 PM
    I went with unlocked, simply to be free of Verizon bloat.
    badcat likes this.
    07-23-2017 09:40 PM
    Carrier. Never going to deal with Samsung except as a last resort.
    07-23-2017 10:37 PM

At least Apple doesn't bend over to carriers like Samsung does and treats them the way they should. Apple's software experience is same across all carriers, around the world. People are not just complaining about boot logo and sound, it's also firmware, carriers disabling features that are in other firmwares etc.
    Agree at least you can flash the unlocked firmware on any carrier device so if someone is bothered they can easily get on to unlocked firmware or buy the unlocked version. But if I have to pay same amount I'll gladly choose the unbranded version over the carrier version.
    07-23-2017 10:58 PM
    I always buy unlocked outright devices and never had issues. Samsung has done the right thing by me with all my phones.
    badcat likes this.
    07-23-2017 11:34 PM
    I have an unlocked S8 on Verizon prepaid and VoLTE is working. It's worked on the last two unlocked phones I've had.
    Do you have Verizon WiFi calling?
    07-24-2017 12:04 AM
    That's cool. I still just find it easier to go through Verizon. The few apps installed don't bother me. The boot screen doesn't either since it's only on a reboot .
    No worries. I was just providing information. 😊 Since I'm on prepaid I don't get much else feature wise but I don't need much else besides minutes, texts and data.
    07-24-2017 06:07 AM
    I put the unlocked firmware on my S7Edge. I'm considering doing it on the S8+ because VZW wants to charge me for spam call screening. I can live without VVM and WiFi calling as long as VoLTE works.
    badcat likes this.
    07-24-2017 06:08 AM
    Do you have Verizon WiFi calling?
    No I do not. At least not that I can tell. I don't see anywhere in my account to enable it either. But I'm not certain if that is because I'm a prepaid customer or if it's a limitation of unlocked devices. Prepaid customers get very few extra features compared to post paid customers.
    07-24-2017 06:11 AM
    ...Apple's software experience is same across all carriers, around the world .
    And has been for 10 years.
    07-24-2017 06:14 AM
    As another reference point that having the branded/locked version is not a guarantee for getting updates, I also have the ATT branded LG G6 and its still on the MARCH security release.
    Yes but that is LG I had v20 they aren't releasing monthly security updates with LG. Samsung has always been better when it comes to security patches compared to lg. Go to LG forums it's quite normal to only receive quarterly or less with any LG phone no matter what carrier or unlocked
    DamianP likes this.
    07-24-2017 07:18 AM
    Doesn't matter just flash the firmware to the carrier of your choice they're all unlocked, least here in the US.
    07-24-2017 01:00 PM
    I went unlocked a few years ago and currently use Cricket Wireless. The wife and I only pay $70/month for both of our phones and that is with unlimited talk/text, and a 8 gigs worth of data (four for each of us - I'm not a heavy phone user and I don't even come remotely close to touching that 4gb, I may get 1gb on a high use month). I don't have a S8, but still have my old S4 and just ordered a Honor 6x. I'm not a big phone person, so I don't need high end phones and look more for battery life. As to why we went unlocked, it's because we save quit a bit of money per month. We are currently paying a bit less than half of what we used to pay using AT&T. Cricket uses AT&T's networks, so our coverage is fine for talk/text and data. Back when the main carriers used to offer free phones for using their service, we used them. When that stopped, we switched over because we cannot afford to pay $800 for new phones, etc.
    Ca_lvn likes this.
    07-24-2017 01:02 PM
    I went with carrier. First, I got my phone quicker. Second, the Verizon bloatware isn't that bad and I can uninstall or deactivate most of it, and with 64GB internal memory, I still have plenty of space for apps. Third, I get all of the bells and whistles, like WiFi calling, video calling Advanced Calling (VoLTE), and relatively quick and RELIABLE updates. If my phone breaks, It's easier to get it replaced/repaired. I've never understood the dislike people have for certain carriers. I've always gotten reliable service and devices with Verizon. I could care less that I see the Verizon logo on boot up. What I care about is reliable service wherever I go.
    Almeuit likes this.
    07-24-2017 05:47 PM
69 123