Unlocked or Carrier?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am curious who opted for the unlocked version or a carrier version and why? My S8+ was bought through AT&T mainly because I have had NIGHTMARES dealing with the phone manufacturers themselves.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I did carrier due to lack of updates with lasts year nightmare with the s7 models. I don't really trust the unlocked models anymore got burned with last year's model

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I got the unlocked model, because I believe carriers are dumb pipes and I like my relation with them to pay for bandwidth and not for messing up with phone firmware, stick logos etc. I do know Samsung and LG US unlocked models get updates way slower than carrier models but still I bought the unlocked version because I don't like carriers and their customized phones. That's why I always buy non carrier unlocked models if it's OEM Android phone, Pixels or iPhones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Carrier version. I want VoLTE to work on Verizon. Plus it was just easier to go through Verizon.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Unlocked version as I use a MVNO network on T-Mobile.

My earlier phones were Nexus 6, IPhone 6s and OnePlus 3T. Realized a disadvantage of going for an unlocked Samsung phone in US. First, updates are slower than on carrier phone which is surprising.
Second, if there are issues with the phone, the carrier would check and replace of required. Here I have to go through Samsung and they don't have a donor phone policy. It's the same with Oneplus.

There are many advantages of having an unlocked phone and I think that far outweighs the cons

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the unlocked S8+.

It was a no brainer decision for me after buying the unlocked S7 Edge. I will continue to buy the unlocked models each and every year.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I got the unlocked S8 (best buy) on sale for $624 (sold my S6 unlocked for $200 same day,)

I don't buy carrier locked phones cause prepaid spoiled me, my money is never consistently the same every month so when I can't pay my bill for a day or 2 I don't get late fees or hidden fees or anything, I just pay it and it's back on.

Also don't like bloatware, my phone is clean and I love that

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked. But the YouTube Tech Guy is stating ALL S8's are the same model number, no longer different phones based on carrier.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked. But the YouTube Tech Guy is stating ALL S8's are the same model number, no longer different phones based on carrier.
They all have different firmwares. Verizon has Verizon crap, T-Mobile as TMobile crap, AT&T has don't know what because it has the worst nowadays. So they are all different phones out of the box.

You can flash firmwares across all the phones because they are all same model. Meaning if you have a carrier phone and want to flash an unlocked US firmware you can do that and same other way round.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I am curious who opted for the unlocked version or a carrier version and why? My S8+ was bought through AT&T mainly because I have had NIGHTMARES dealing with the phone manufacturers themselves.
I got the unlocked S8 plus. Love it so far on ATT. I'm ok so far giving up wifi calling and VoLTE . I like no bloat and some of the Samsung branded features(integrated caller ID and search within the dialer).

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Things have changed unlocked is receiving updates now at least within a months time
Unlocked version hasn't had an update in a month and a half and no word on when it may be coming. I wouldn't say things have changed just yet. They received one update on time so far.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I was on Cricket and tempted by the unlocked model. Then I saw the deal Sprint was running and got half off the s8 plus. I pay like $5 a month for the phone and my bill is like 70 a month for unlimited. Pretty stoked and service is good where I live in Arkansas. 🤗

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
As another reference point that having the branded/locked version is not a guarantee for getting updates, I also have the ATT branded LG G6 and its still on the MARCH security release.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlocked S8 on Verizon prepaid and VoLTE is working. It's worked on the last two unlocked phones I've had.
That's cool. I still just find it easier to go through Verizon. The few apps installed don't bother me. The boot screen doesn't either since it's only on a reboot :).

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
That's cool. I still just find it easier to go through Verizon. The few apps installed don't bother me. The boot screen doesn't either since it's only on a reboot :).

But the boot screen is such an embarrassment its like saying hey everyone look at me. I have (********)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But the boot screen is such an embarrassment its like saying hey everyone look at me. I have (********)

Haha I know for some they can't stand it. I used to be bad about certain bloat and whatnot but as the years have gone on .. I have grown not to care. As long as it isn't some insane major change.. an app or two and a "Verizon" logo for 10 seconds on startup? Ehhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech