08-02-2017 03:21 PM
69 123
tools
    Do you have Verizon WiFi calling?
    Slightly off topic: if I turn on Verizon HD calling and video it prevents using my Verizon caller ID. I've opted for Caller ID.
    07-24-2017 08:07 PM
    I buy from my carrier (T-Mobile). But I root and remove the bloat asap. Plus I use Nova Launcher which takes care of aesthetics. Plus T-Mobile is not to bad when it comes to bloatware...
    07-24-2017 11:52 PM
    Unlocked from Amazon, really easy and because I'm on a SIM only contract, I can upgrade whenever I like
    badcat likes this.
    07-24-2017 11:53 PM
    NM.
    07-25-2017 05:30 PM
    Unlocked. Carrier Splash screens on startup drive me nuts. And the less bloat the better.
    This is why I had a friend unlock my phone and flash it for me. No bloat ware or branded screens anymore. Now I'm officially unlocked to any carrier. I'll probably go back to cricket and call it a day. I can't stand carrier phones. They come preloaded with so much garbage it's insane. Especially sprint. I don't know about the others. I'm sure they're loaded down too. I'm just glad mine has been flashed and it's all gone. Not a trace of it left.
    07-25-2017 09:55 PM
    This is why I had a friend unlock my phone and flash it for me. No bloat ware or branded screens anymore. Now I'm officially unlocked to any carrier. I'll probably go back to cricket and call it a day. I can't stand carrier phones. They come preloaded with so much garbage it's insane. Especially sprint. I don't know about the others. I'm sure they're loaded down too. I'm just glad mine has been flashed and it's all gone. Not a trace of it left.
    T-mobile wasn't bad. The only thing you couldn't remove was the unlock app to unlock the device to use with other carriers and the T-Mobile app. Package disabler took care of that one for me.
    07-25-2017 10:39 PM
    Glad it works for you. For me all that trouble to get rid of a carrier splash screen you only seen on boot .. Not worth :P.
    07-25-2017 11:15 PM
    I usually buy my phones unlocked, so did I for my previous S8 and now the Plus model. Only reason is the ability to not withstand carrier branding and not to be stuck on old software due to carriers, from past experience.
    badcat likes this.
    07-26-2017 06:54 AM
    I usually buy my phones unlocked, so did I for my previous S8 and now the Plus model. Only reason is the ability to not withstand carrier branding and not to be stuck on old software due to carriers, from past experience.
    Samsung is a smidge slow when it comes to updates though. Carriers seem to be getting updates before unlocked models.
    07-26-2017 08:54 AM
    Samsung is a smidge slow when it comes to updates though. Carriers seem to be getting updates before unlocked models.
    Yeah I agree. I believe Samsung delays updates for it's unlocked variants in the US on purpose as it relies on carriers to finish their testing before rolling it out. This obviously isn't the case outside the US.
    JoshDunc likes this.
    07-27-2017 08:23 AM
    I'll cite a real world benefit of purchasing unlocked.
    Have been using unlocked phones for years with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM. Recently moved to an area where AT&T reception was poor and Verizon ruled.
    I got a CDMA kit from StraightTalk, popped the new SIM in, and activated it. My US unlocked S8 automatically configured the apn settings.
    I now have great coverage with Verizon towers using the same phone I had on AT&T a week ago.
    07-27-2017 10:26 PM
    Personally I could care less about sim unlock since I don't change carriers, though it's handy when I travel international once in a while. My main thing is I don't like carrier's to have any say in my phone whether it's firmware or features. That's why I buy and like non carrier phones which happens to also be sim unlocked which is added bonus. If I have to buy from a carrier it will be iPhone or Pixel since they both show the middle finger to carriers.
    Or in very rare instance where the phone is so good and only available via carriers.
    07-27-2017 10:39 PM
    I am curious who opted for the unlocked version or a carrier version and why? My S8+ was bought through AT&T mainly because I have had NIGHTMARES dealing with the phone manufacturers themselves.
    I've switched back to carrier phones (Moto X Pure Edition to Moto Z Force Droid) and don't mind at all. Maybe because Motorola's OS is simply "stock Android" with a few Moto enhancements I can no longer do without.

Also, switching back to carrier phones allows access to insane deals like when I got a regular Moto Z Droid for $120 and a Google Pixel for $240 last Black Friday.
    07-27-2017 11:58 PM
    Been on unlocked phones since Jan 5, 2016.
    I plan on staying on unlocked phones for my upcoming phones as well
    bhatech likes this.
    07-29-2017 07:37 AM
    Been on unlocked phones since Jan 5, 2016.
    I plan on staying on unlocked phones for my upcoming phones as well
    That's the way I am going. Started with the unlocked S7 Edge and now the S8+.
    07-30-2017 02:19 AM
    I just bought my galaxy s8 unlocked today. I intend to use it on Verizon, which means I'll probably not be able to use wifi calling. However the unlocked was on sale for $575 and the Verizon retail price is $750. Seemed like a no brainier.
    bhatech likes this.
    07-30-2017 12:29 PM
    I just bought my galaxy s8 unlocked today. I intend to use it on Verizon, which means I'll probably not be able to use wifi calling. However the unlocked was on sale for $575 and the Verizon retail price is $750. Seemed like a no brainier.
    You can flash the Verizon firmware and Wi-Fi calling will work
    08-01-2017 05:50 AM
    Got my girlfriend an unlocked S8+ and I got a carrier S8 from T-Mobile. So far the only difference is I have a bunch of T-Mobile Bloatware on my phone. Other than that we are both up to date on the same version and same security patch.
    08-02-2017 10:05 AM
    I got the unlocked model, because I believe carriers are dumb pipes and I like my relation with them to pay for bandwidth and not for messing up with phone firmware, stick logos etc. I do know Samsung and LG US unlocked models get updates way slower than carrier models but still I bought the unlocked version because I don't like carriers and their customized phones. That's why I always buy non carrier unlocked models if it's OEM Android phone, Pixels or iPhones.
    Word. Indeed...dumb pipes.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-02-2017 03:21 PM
69 123