Adguard makes this phone as smooth as an iPhone 7!

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I have installed adguard after seeing you guys raving about it and its been great UNTIL I visited a newspaper site and got a pop up " "You are selected to win one of ten I phones" and it also stated the carrier that I use!!

SO annoying and I never click on it and have to close the browser down.

I'm no tech guru, have very limited knowledge, how can I get rid of that pesky horrible false competition pop up coming up? Would appreciate any help.

Using Samsung browser and downloaded adguard.

Thanks in advance :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have installed adguard after seeing you guys raving about it and its been great UNTIL I visited a newspaper site and got a pop up " "You are selected to win one of ten I phones" and it also stated the carrier that I use!!

SO annoying and I never click on it and have to close the browser down.

I'm no tech guru, have very limited knowledge, how can I get rid of that pesky horrible false competition pop up coming up? Would appreciate any help.

Using Samsung browser and downloaded adguard.

Thanks in advance :)

Did you go to adguard.com/apk to download the Adguard app?

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using DNS66 from the fdroid site. It has the usual adaway host files in there already, but you can also add your own as I have done. It's free and doesn't need root and am very happy with it. I must also give the new Firefox focus browser a mention. It's lightweight, blocks ads and trackers etc. Definitely recommend trying it out.

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Did you go to adguard.com/apk to download the Adguard app?

Thanks for your reply, appreciated

No, sorry I should of said that, I downloaded it via the browser that took me to the play store, I did look at the site and pricing but wanted to try it out before commiting to buying which I would gladly do if it stops that annoying false competition thing taking over my browser.

I'm very wary of downloading from any website unless I fully trust it, I'm probably being over paranoid.

I went to download another ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, does adguard do the same ? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)

Really appreciate your time.

Attachments

• w3lu2709v9zy.jpg
    w3lu2709v9zy.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 56

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

No, sorry I should of said that, I downloaded it via the browser that took me to the play store, I did look at the site and pricing but wanted to try it out before commiting to buying which I would gladly do if it stops that annoying false competition thing taking over my browser.

I'm very wary of downloading from any website unless I fully trust it, I'm probably being over paranoid.

I went to download another ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, does adguard do the same ? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)

You know it's not the same product right?

The play store app you downloaded is just a web browser extension, not the system wide VPN..

And Adguard is reputable.

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
You know it's not the same product right?

You did read my post right?

Repeat

I went to download ANOTHER ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, DOES ADGUARD DO THE SAME? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)*

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
You did read my post right?

Repeat

I went to download ANOTHER ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, DOES ADGUARD DO THE SAME? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)*

Another adblocker from the playstore? You could download candy crush and ask the same question. There is a reason Google doesn't allow the full Adguard in its playstore..

I encourage you to reach out to the dark side just this once. I can sense your ad anger, it makes you stronger, gives you focus.. Sideload the app and your journey will be complete.

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I encourage you to reach out to the dark side just this once. I can sense your ad anger, it makes you stronger, gives you focus.. Sideload the app and your journey will be complete.

Hahaha love your reply, class, put a wee smile on my face, genuine thanks to you ☺ and thanks for your patience.

My reply was in relation to nexusgirlx's asking if I had went directly to the adguard website to download it, which I hadn't.

All that I'm asking is if I go to the adguard website to download will it ask for many permissions (like the pic posted) that I don't have a clue about..... I could be signing up to give all that I own to someone and I genuinely wouldn't know ??????.... I AM that clueless.

In fairness to the other app that I was going to download, it is open source .... which I'm led to believe makes it more transparent....but once again I don't know what exactly that means?

Sorry I know I'm hard work, just green as grass and very wary of downloadkng anything .... as you have probably worked out hahaha ... but thanks to you and I mean that sincerely and other people ....... something is telling me that you guys are legit and it will be ok to download adguard, suppose I was just looking for reassurance.

Thanks

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

If you want Adguard Pro to actually block ads everywhere on your phone including ads in apps, you will need to download Adguard from the Adguard website. It is 100% safe to go their website to download the app.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
That pic is to download adhell, not Adguard.. and you are right, it's asking a suspicious amount of permissions..

I have Adguard installed, the real deal from their site and the only permission the app asks for is storage.

Can't attest to adhell legitimacy since I've never used it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I do agree that many of these apps request access to things that the app should never have access too. I've actually stopped the install of some apps when they requested access to my camera, pictures, mic, contacts and other things when it was something as simple as a weather app or something similar. There was no way these apps needed that access and I will never risk my privacy just to be able to use a free app.

As for Adguard, it will only ask your permission to start a VPN which is required to be able to block the ads in apps. They also have a support forum on their website. I've posted on their forums before when ads weren't being block in some apps. Within an hour, they had a filter update that made sure the ads were blocked in those apps. This is why I will always support them. Great support.

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I know the pic was from adhell, that's why I wrote :

"I went to download another ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, does adguard do the same ?"

Thanks you have really helped and I'm going to give.. it a try, if it's any good will gladly pay. just wanted reassurance.

Bye for now, take care

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Google doesn't allow many of the good adblockers in the play store such as Adguard Pro and Adaway. Because of this, you have to go to their websites and download the app and install it.

Adguard Pro removes ads in any app and browser that you use. There are some ads that it can not remove but that all depends on how the sites serve up those ads. Some sites have gotten smart and learned they can defeat any adblocker just like Facebook.

Adaway is another great ad blocker but that requires a rooted phone to use. I use that on my Note 5 today and it's free.

Am I understanding this right. There is a Pro version that works with any browser?

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I just downloaded the trial version of Adguard because it claimed to use all browsers. Next I tested it on TMZ because it is infested with junk. Embedded ads still showed but were not distracting. Similar to the procedure Google is trying to promote with certain media providers.

So far I'm impressed.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded the adguard apk and have been toying around with the free trial version. So far, I am IMPRESSED! Has made my Samsung browser experience even better, faster and peppier too.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Waiting to see if it terminates all popups--like the kind Android Central uses periodically in its browser version. If so, count me in.

I'm an outlier: I prefer to pay for my apps and reward the creator(s). Hey, these guys-and gals-deserve to be paid. Not crazy about auto renewing subscriptions except for things like a music service. But stuff like Evernote deserve it.

So if Adguard works as they claim they got my subscription.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a VPN version of it not found in the play store.
https://m.adguard.com/en/install.html
Installed now going to test it out and see how it performs
af3ce89bc1b01ceabe64068a28ef8c3d.jpg