07-29-2017 12:52 PM
87 123 ...
tools
    I just wanted to share my discovery of a wonderful app called adguard. It's $10 a year and worth every penny in my opinion. My phone would perform great before installing the app but there were times where frames dropped while using chrome and certain apps and the occasional stutter here and there. After installing and enabling adguard (apk system wide version found on their website, not the Google play store version that only blocks ads on the stock browser). My phone flies now and is as smooth as butter. They say that the side effect is battery drain, however I tested that and my battery drained 13% over and 8 hour period of non use versus 11% prior to installing the app. That translates to 6% additional battery drain over a 24 hour period minus any battery drain saved from ads not loading while browsing, which is a pretty sweet trade off IMHO.
    James8561 likes this.
    07-24-2017 10:41 AM
    I don't do subscriptions except for one which is digitally imported radio. Any app other than that needs to be a one time fee and that's it or else they do not get my business
    07-24-2017 10:44 AM
    I don't do subscriptions except for one which is digitally imported radio. Any app other than that needs to be a one time fee and that's it or else they do not get my business
    I'm with you. No subscriptions.
    uncaged74 and jlost like this.
    07-24-2017 10:46 AM
    Not to derail this thread from the OPs subject, but with one-time fee apps, you run the risk of the app getting abandoned after a few years. I haven't heard of that happening with subscription based apps. $10 per year is not much considering the benefit that the OP receives (assuming that the OP isn't paid by the app maker).
    07-24-2017 11:13 AM
    I'm with you. No subscriptions.
    I use adhell for system wide ad blocking with no subscription.
    burrzoo likes this.
    07-24-2017 12:33 PM
    I have a VPN that blocks ads when browsing. My apps don't have ads.
    burrzoo likes this.
    07-24-2017 12:34 PM
    I have a VPN that blocks ads when browsing. My apps don't have ads.

Name?
    07-24-2017 06:29 PM
    I bought the lifetime license for all my phones and computers. I got my licenses during Christmas when they had the half price sale. No subscriptions. Ever.

Adguard is the best thing to ever happen to cellphones!
    sd13 and James8561 like this.
    07-24-2017 06:36 PM
    I just tried out adhell since it's free and it's working great so far. I have to compare the battery drain between adhell and adguard but other than that, they both work as advertise.
    07-25-2017 12:02 AM
    Name?
    Private Internet Access.
    07-25-2017 01:02 AM
    Yup. I use the firewall to block any app I want to throttle. The data usage gets confused in the device, but I can check at network level anyway. I like the app, the devs are super helpful and it works like a charm. I don't begrudge them a yearly few bucks to keep my phone safe and efficient.
    I get better battery life as all apps are blocked and can't connect to the internet.
    sd13 likes this.
    07-25-2017 01:31 AM
    I use PIA as a VPN too. It blocks a lot of ads, but not all of them.

I have yet to find a solution that blocks all ads (like a rooted ad blocker does.)
    07-25-2017 07:20 AM
    Block This! at block-this.com is another free, good VPN ad blocker.

Do any of the other ad blockers talked about here block ads in Terrarium TV?
    07-25-2017 01:35 PM
    My plus flies with out any added apps has been this way from day one.
    07-25-2017 01:40 PM

adguard has a lifetime licence option.
    07-25-2017 01:52 PM
    My Note 4 for what it's worth is flying pretty damn good for its age.

I'm pretty sure the S8 is flying high without the use of this app.
    07-25-2017 06:50 PM
    am I missing something? adguard says it only blocks ads in the Samsung internet browser...so I really don't see the benefit to a subscription to do something that the browser does already with a free add-on.
    bchain996 likes this.
    07-25-2017 07:10 PM
    am I missing something? adguard says it only blocks ads in the Samsung internet browser...so I really don't see the benefit to a subscription to do something that the browser does already with a free add-on.
    There's a VPN version of it not found in the play store.
    https://m.adguard.com/en/install.html
    Tim1954 likes this.
    07-25-2017 07:25 PM
    As Brat said, the play store doesn't have the good one as it would block all google revenue earning ads and that would be a conflict of interest.
    The VPN one is brilliant, the only things it can't block is those five second videos on YouTube. It's on all my devices. It's the only app I sideload.
    07-25-2017 10:11 PM
    Google doesn't allow many of the good adblockers in the play store such as Adguard Pro and Adaway. Because of this, you have to go to their websites and download the app and install it.

Adguard Pro removes ads in any app and browser that you use. There are some ads that it can not remove but that all depends on how the sites serve up those ads. Some sites have gotten smart and learned they can defeat any adblocker just like Facebook.

Adaway is another great ad blocker but that requires a rooted phone to use. I use that on my Note 5 today and it's free.
    07-26-2017 01:44 AM
    I have installed adguard after seeing you guys raving about it and its been great UNTIL I visited a newspaper site and got a pop up " "You are selected to win one of ten I phones" and it also stated the carrier that I use!!

SO annoying and I never click on it and have to close the browser down.

I'm no tech guru, have very limited knowledge, how can I get rid of that pesky horrible false competition pop up coming up? Would appreciate any help.

Using Samsung browser and downloaded adguard.

Thanks in advance
    07-26-2017 02:35 AM
    I have installed adguard after seeing you guys raving about it and its been great UNTIL I visited a newspaper site and got a pop up " "You are selected to win one of ten I phones" and it also stated the carrier that I use!!

SO annoying and I never click on it and have to close the browser down.

I'm no tech guru, have very limited knowledge, how can I get rid of that pesky horrible false competition pop up coming up? Would appreciate any help.

Using Samsung browser and downloaded adguard.

Thanks in advance
    Did you go to adguard.com/apk to download the Adguard app?
    07-26-2017 04:51 AM
    I've been using DNS66 from the fdroid site. It has the usual adaway host files in there already, but you can also add your own as I have done. It's free and doesn't need root and am very happy with it. I must also give the new Firefox focus browser a mention. It's lightweight, blocks ads and trackers etc. Definitely recommend trying it out.
    07-26-2017 05:27 AM
    Did you go to adguard.com/apk to download the Adguard app?
    Thanks for your reply, appreciated

No, sorry I should of said that, I downloaded it via the browser that took me to the play store, I did look at the site and pricing but wanted to try it out before commiting to buying which I would gladly do if it stops that annoying false competition thing taking over my browser.

I'm very wary of downloading from any website unless I fully trust it, I'm probably being over paranoid.

I went to download another ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, does adguard do the same ? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)

Really appreciate your time.
    Attached Thumbnails Adguard makes this phone as smooth as an iPhone 7!-w3lu2709v9zy.jpg  
    07-26-2017 05:36 AM
    Thanks for your reply, appreciated

No, sorry I should of said that, I downloaded it via the browser that took me to the play store, I did look at the site and pricing but wanted to try it out before commiting to buying which I would gladly do if it stops that annoying false competition thing taking over my browser.

I'm very wary of downloading from any website unless I fully trust it, I'm probably being over paranoid.

I went to download another ad blocker app and it asked me to let into certain areas of my phone that I didnt have a clue if it was safe to agree to. Sorry not being very clear, can't remember exactly ......

Will post a pic of what I'm talking about, does adguard do the same ? Its just I'm not tech savvy and my instinct is to be aware (especially on the net)

Really appreciate your time.
    You know it's not the same product right?

The play store app you downloaded is just a web browser extension, not the system wide VPN..

And Adguard is reputable.
    07-26-2017 05:48 AM
87 123 ...