Any regrets after purchasing the S8 or S8+?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I use to change phones 3 or 4 times a year. But the technology is so superior I've lost the lust for the newest and greatest.

What's the Note going to give me besides the stylus--which I love.

A smaller sealed battery, a better camera which I don't need, extra memory which is wasted, and the same method of casting to my TV. Extra productivity: I don't see it coming. We'll see.

Same thing I thought. Smaller battery and more Ram you won't use. I think I will pass on the Note this time.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Wondering out loud here...For all S8 and S8+ owners in the room... Do you have any regrets now - after several months in - having purchased the phone? Do you still love it, or wish you had held off for another phone (Note 8? G6?).

Sound off!!
Absolutely no regrets. I've been an LG guy since the Optimus G, but Samsung went software nav this year so I gave it a go. The S8 is my first Samsung device and I'm loving it. And my Nova/Action Launcher rotation is fantastic. I have a Pixel/Nexus setup respectively.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
yep. awful device. already had to have it replaced under warranty. battery sucks and dont ask me what im doing on my phone because all i do it talk and text and twitter. it sits on my desk at work and drains. shuts off randomly

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
yep. awful device. already had to have it replaced under warranty. battery sucks and dont ask me what im doing on my phone because all i do it talk and text and twitter. it sits on my desk at work and drains. shuts off randomly
How did your replacement device fare? Better I hope.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
battery wise not good at all. its still the same. i even disabled all of the verizon apps and stuff i didnt use. but its weird because random apps will pop up on my device. like this verizon security protection app just popped up out of no where and cant be disabled or deleted. never had this happen on any of my verizon devices before

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
battery wise not good at all. its still the same. i even disabled all of the verizon apps and stuff i didnt use. but its weird because random apps will pop up on my device. like this verizon security protection app just popped up out of no where and cant be disabled or deleted. never had this happen on any of my verizon devices before
No clue man. Especially if you've disabled bloat. How's reception where you work? The building I work in gets no reception at all and the WiFi is terrible. I just throw my phone in airplane mode and check it periodically. Also, does your battery drain away from work the same way?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No clue man. Especially if you've disabled bloat. How's reception where you work? The building I work in gets no reception at all and the WiFi is terrible. I just throw my phone in airplane mode and check it periodically. Also, does your battery drain away from work the same way?
Definitely weird for sure. I haven't disabled anything really and have zero issues with my Verizon S8+.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

my reception at work says 4-5 bars all the time but the data takes a while to load which i thought was weird. it loads fine at home with 4-5 bars though. wifi at work is ok not the best. but no not at all if im home its fine. like right now im at 54 percent. if i was at work i would have to charge it because it would be at less than 20 percent before i left at 7

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Something is definitely off. Especially if your device says it has 4/5 bars and still struggles with data. But that's what it sounds like, your phone it's constantly struggling to pull down reception. I'm guessing it's not a rouge app, if everything was on your previous device. Damn man, I'm at a loss. Sorry about your experience.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Something is definitely off. Especially if your device says it has 4/5 bars and still struggles with data. But that's what it sounds like, your phone it's constantly struggling to pull down reception. I'm guessing it's not a rouge app, if everything was in your previous device. Damn man, I'm at a loss. Sorry about your experience.
Well technically signal alone doesn't guarantee good data speeds.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Well technically signal alone doesn't guarantee good data speeds.
I thought it would with a provider with the reputation that Verizon has. I've been wrong before. But do you agree? He's battery is draining because of network issues? That's pretty much my best guess. I can't imagine he got two phones with the same issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would with a provider with the reputation that Verizon has. I've been wrong before. But do you agree? He's battery is draining because of network issues? That's pretty much my best guess. I can't imagine he got two phones with the same issue.
Yeah when it comes to data speed and such there are a lot of factors. He may have a good signal to the tower but the tower can be slammed and so data won't be fast. It sounds like his phone struggles more at work to probably sync and normal stuff.

The biggest test would be keep it on LTE at home without WiFi and see if the big drain continues in a known "good" signal area that he normally doesn't have issues with.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
my reception at work says 4-5 bars all the time but the data takes a while to load which i thought was weird. it loads fine at home with 4-5 bars though. wifi at work is ok not the best. but no not at all if im home its fine. like right now im at 54 percent. if i was at work i would have to charge it because it would be at less than 20 percent before i left at 7
Download LTE discovery from the play store and check your db rating while at work. Don't go by the bars, get the actual level.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
None, that is until the Note 8 comes out, then I might have some regerts, uh regrets. :)
Lol i think of that guy every time I see this post topic
d843ec10dd7197cd915635121247bc20.jpg

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You definitely had a bad one, sorry to hear about that. Mines not doing that, but between April 19th and today, it did randomly freeze momentarily 3 times during nothing special and restart itself.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
What other providers is everyine with. I wonder if some providers have more issues than others, or perhaps same type of issues . I've got tmobile, ordered the 8+ from them. No real issues other than the three times random restart, and I do have spotty connection on my 48 mile commute

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What other providers is everyine with. I wonder if some providers have more issues than others, or perhaps same type of issues . I've got tmobile, ordered the 8+ from them. No real issues other than the three times random restart, and I do have spotty connection on my 48 mile commute
I'm on Tmo as well. I also had issues on AT&T (before I switched) in the same building I mentioned earlier.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
thanks so much guys. i will try your suggestion and report back after a day or so and let you guys know if there are any changes

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Get Package Disabler from the Play store to disable apps you don't want. Be sure to disable DT-Ignite to prevent automatic installation of more Verizon junk.