08-03-2017 08:05 AM
58 123
tools
    Who here is using Bixby rather than GA? I decided to go all in instead of trying to use Bixby for certain things and GA for others. I knew I would favor GA because it's familiar.

I found that Bixby is very capable but a bit clunky. It has to launch apps and can't provide information in its own interface. So getting directions means waiting for Bixby to launch the app find home start routing and then present an ETA. not the end of the world and I'm sure it'll improve. Other things that GA can't do like scrolling, swiping, and turning settings on and off are awesome.

Thoughts?
    07-25-2017 04:40 PM
    Who here is using Bixby rather than GA? I decided to go all in instead of trying to use Bixby for certain things and GA for others. I knew I would favor GA because it's familiar.

I found that Bixby is very capable but a bit clunky. It has to launch apps and can't provide information in its own interface. So getting directions means waiting for Bixby to launch the app find home start routing and then present an ETA. not the end of the world and I'm sure it'll improve. Other things that GA can't do like scrolling, swiping, and turning settings on and off are awesome.

Thoughts?
    Theres so many of these threads already.
    07-25-2017 04:46 PM
    You have to use both to get maximum benefit

Bixby is good for adjusting settings on the fly and I use GA for general queries still and for opening and using Google maps and making appts.
    07-25-2017 04:47 PM
    In in the UK so still have a wait to get Bixby Voice here but I'm looking forward to trying it. I know I can set location based reminders with Bixby just now via the app but can this be done using voice commands too? eg "Bixby, remind me to pick up milk when I leave work".
    Also can Bixby Voice be used to start gps navigation on 3rd party apps like Waze or TomTom Go instead of Google Maps?
    07-25-2017 05:00 PM
    Theres so many of these threads already.
    Ok then maybe a mod can merge them
    07-25-2017 05:40 PM
    So if you want a movie review or the starting time of a baseball game you can use Bixby? If so, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    07-25-2017 07:10 PM
    So if you want a movie review or the starting time of a baseball game you can use Bixby? If so, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    Bixby and GA are used for totally different things.
    07-25-2017 09:08 PM
    Ok then maybe a mod can merge them
    That would be what the little triangle with the ! is for, to Report a thread or post and ask that it be merged, or whatever. I looked at the 3 current Bixby threads, and there is enough difference that I don't think a merge is needed or beneficial.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:31 PM
    Bixby is taking over lol. On the threads that is lol. I don't mind all the bixby thtrads so I don't think it needs to be merged. We all are just learning about bixby. Why not have a lot of threads right now.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:42 PM
    Why not have a lot of threads right now.
    Because that gets confusing, the same things are discussed over and over and it makes learning anything for new users that much more difficult. Creating threads just to create threads is counterproductive.
    TylerLV76 likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:46 PM
    Because that gets confusing, the same things are discussed over and over and it makes learning anything for new users that much more difficult. Creating threads just to create threads is counterproductive.
    That's the issue. The same thing has been said by the same people multiple times that it becomes as redundant as...

I'm guilty of posting the same comments multiple times because there's so many threads about the same topic.

I was going to post one this morning asking what we could hope for with the future of Bixby but then I saw just how many threads there were and skipped it.
    PJRed2008 likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:57 PM
    there's so many threads about the same topic.
    And that's why the Mod team likes to see reports so we can evaluate, discuss and act if warranted.
    07-25-2017 10:10 PM
    And that's why the Mod team likes to see reports so we can evaluate, discuss and act if warranted.
    I use tapatalk almost exclusively. No report button that I see unfortunately.
    07-25-2017 10:11 PM
    I use tapatalk almost exclusively. No report button that I see unfortunately.
    From the menu there is a report button. Always been there :P.
    07-25-2017 10:13 PM
    From the menu there is a report button. Always been there :P.
    This menu?

Edit: I just looked everywhere in tapatalk and I don't see a report option anywhere. Is this gonna be like Google photos where you got to keep the good features and I get stuck with the hand me down version?

07-25-2017 10:13 PM
    I'll have to leave tapatalk to my fearless Team Leader as I use a laptop most of the time, or Internet on my S8+. You can also PM any Moderator to report a thread, post or user.

And, now that I've taken the thread off topic, we shall return to our Bixby discussion
    07-25-2017 10:29 PM
    This menu?

Edit: I just looked everywhere in tapatalk and I don't see a report option anywhere. Is this gonna be like Google photos where you got to keep the good features and I get stuck with the hand me down version?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5c4a161613.jpg
    Highlight the OP. Then do it .
    07-25-2017 10:33 PM
    Well looky there I learned a new trick today lol. Ok back on topic...

Bixby, it's there.
    07-25-2017 10:34 PM
    I see the report button in the official android central app. I guess I'll find someone else's thread next time.
    07-26-2017 02:51 AM
    Bixby and GA are used for totally different things.
    Respectfully, what are the different use cases. I'm genuinely interested.
    07-26-2017 10:43 AM

Bixby is good for adjusting settings on the fly and I use GA for general queries still and for opening and using Google maps and making appts.
    This
    jacker likes this.
    07-26-2017 10:49 AM
    Respectfully, what are the different use cases. I'm genuinely interested.

This. Bixby is local to the phone, GA is everything else.
    jacker likes this.
    07-26-2017 10:51 AM
    I don't really use either. I've got an echo and find it mostly annoying.
    for one thing, unless you live and work in solitude you're intruding on others, and I don't want everyone around me knowing everything I'm doing... I'd be perturbed by my wife constantly talking to her phone, I can barely get a word in as it is.
    I do think they may figure out the correct way to do this, but I'm not going to tell them because I'm their customer not their employee.
    I've found none of them to be accurate enough or give me enough information. I can tap a query in faster anyway.
    I can see finding settings being easier since they've fragmented the menus so much... it's like windows vs Mac in the late 90s. Mac had stuff spread all over the place, chooser, some other thing. windows control panel. simple is better.
    07-26-2017 01:29 PM
    With Waze coming to Android Auto today, I have a clear winner in the AI category.
    07-26-2017 01:35 PM
    So far Bixby is a mixed bag for me. When it works, it's good, but sometimes it just don't work, and in many places it's still half baked! I have no doubt it will someday be something but someday is NOT today!
    07-26-2017 01:58 PM
58 123