This is strange. I noticed that my unread counts are suddenly not working only for my messaging app. I use the stock messaging app. It has worked just fine until recently. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Tesla Unread to no avail. Is anyone else having this issue with the stock messaging app? I've been holding of on switching to Apex because it's notifier doesn't support badge unread counts for Facebook but I think I'd rather have it for my messages. Lol. Maybe it's time for me to switch back to Apex.

Anyway is anyone else noticing this with Nova? I'm not on Beta anymore.
    07-26-2017 10:50 AM
    Nova/Tesla unread are working fine here. I'm getting the correct unread counts.

Have you tried toggling the items of / on in Tesla? Checked the permissions are still valid?
    07-26-2017 12:47 PM
    Yes, I did all that. Not sure what the problem is. It had been working just fine. It's only for the messaging app that it's not working. It shows badges for everything else. In the meantime, I've installed Apex and set that all up. I'm going to rock Apex for a while. I'm thinking I might uninstall and reinstall the Nova apps and see if that helps.
    07-26-2017 01:28 PM
    Could be the icon pack. I came across one I really liked but the unread badges stopped working at one point. Don't remember if it was a Nova update or an icon pack update.
    07-26-2017 01:39 PM
    I have been using the stock icon pack. I had been using 3rd party icon packs for years but when I got the S8+, I decided to rock the stock icons for a bit.
    07-26-2017 01:52 PM
    Nova/Tesla Unread working with stock messaging app S8. Maybe clear cache?
    07-26-2017 03:56 PM
    Nova/Tesla Unread working with stock messaging app S8. Maybe clear cache?
    Yes, it does work with the stock email app. At least, it does for me.
    07-26-2017 04:05 PM
    I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nova, Nova Prime and Tesla Unread. Still no bubbles for my messages app. So strange because it had been working fine since I got the phone.

Anyway, I've migrated to Apex, which has been updated a few times recently and unread badges are working with Facebook now with Apex so I think I'm staying put for a while. To anyone who hasn't used Apex, it is basically identical to Nova in terms of functionality. It actually has a few animations and features that I prefer over Nova.

1. Pinch to show screens is better. It is like the old Android and shows all of the screens instead of just making them slightly smaller and letting you scroll through them, which is pointless IMO.

2. You can swipe up and down on folders to open apps. I have my social folder set so I swipe up to open Facebook and swipe down to open Instagram. With Nova you can only swipe up.

3. The home page scrolling animations are slightly different looking and I prefer them over Nova.

So only slight differences but it's enough for Apex to have the edge for me. I do think Nova is slightly smoother. Hard to explain exactly what I mean but I do think it is smoother than Apex.
    07-27-2017 07:56 AM
    I've found that if I turn off advanced messaging, my unread counts work fine with Nova but as soon as I turn it on, the badges go away. I'm with AT&T. Can someone who is running Nova on AT&T S8 or S8+ test this for me? Can't figure out why this is happening.
    burrzoo likes this.
    08-27-2017 09:31 AM
    Strange but I think I've got it sorted. I had to turn advanced messaging off, shut the phone down and clear the cache. Turn it on and then re-enable advanced messaging and now it seems to be working. So strange.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-27-2017 10:23 AM
    I just tried it too. I'm on an AT&T S8+ with Nova Prime/Tesla Unread and turned on Advanced features and it all worked A-OK. Note though that I have Not used the stock messages app except for a little on Day 1. Using Textra.
    Glad you got it all sorted out! These little things can drive you nuts! Lol!
    08-27-2017 10:55 AM
    I just tried it too. I'm on an AT&T S8+ with Nova Prime/Tesla Unread and turned on Advanced features and it all worked A-OK. Note though that I have Not used the stock messages app except for a little on Day 1. Using Textra.
    Glad you got it all sorted out! These little things can drive you nuts! Lol!
    I literally spent like an hour trying to figure this out. Glad my persistence paid off. I had been using Apex but the revamp is still a bit glitchy and needs work.
    08-27-2017 02:54 PM
    Now it's not working again. WTH? Lol. So strange. If I turn Advanced Messaging off, the badges work just fine. I'm at a loss. Third party messaging apps work but not the stock messaging app.
    08-28-2017 07:59 AM
    Now it's not working again. WTH? Lol. So strange. If I turn Advanced Messaging off, the badges work just fine. I'm at a loss. Third party messaging apps work but not the stock messaging app.
    You jinxed me! Now my messaging app is doing the same... No notification badges, stock messaging with Nova and Tesla Unread. Guess I'll play with it after work tonight. Did you find a solution?
    08-31-2017 12:38 PM
    You jinxed me! Now my messaging app is doing the same... No notification badges, stock messaging with Nova and Tesla Unread. Guess I'll play with it after work tonight. Did you find a solution?
    Misery loves company..

The only solution (that isn't really a great solution) I know of is to disable Advanced Messaging in your messenger app settings. When I've done this, the badges work flawlessly. I want to be able to use advanced messaging so I've switched to Apex Launcher, which is almost the same. The only problem with Apex, is that they are still working on updates and while the badge unread counts work well for messages, it is inconsistent or nonexistent for other apps. I used Apex for quite a while and like it a lot but I just hope the developer continues to update. There was a 2 or 3 year period where the app wasn't update at all. There have been several updates this year but it still needs a little bit of improvement.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-31-2017 01:04 PM