Verizon Galaxy S8 Any difference purchasing unlocked vs Verizon carrier?

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Looking to purchasing an S8 on Samsung website.
There offer unlocked or Verizon.
Would I lose any features if I purchased the unlocked version?

Thanks

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Horses for courses. Locked phones are just that. Locked. You get bloatware. Your updates will depend on the network provider.
Unlocked, you can put any sim into it, if you don't like a network, change. If you go abroad, just get a local prepaid and away you go.

GRUNT11B

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Carrier device has been getting updates faster then unlocked. As far as bloat it can be disabled or deleted. I prefer Verizon cause I can upgrade faster and the insurance is easier to use and better than what Samsung offers.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, Verizon version will allow you to use wifi calling, so if you are traveling internationally and have access to WiFi, you can make calls using your normal plan minutes. The unlocked version will not let you do that.

In contrast, the unlocked version should allow you to use mobile hotspot for free, so that you can share your phone's internet connection with other devices such as tablets, laptops , etc. The Verizon version will not let you do this for free - you have to sign up for an additional monthly plan.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
So I guess it is a trade off then between locked and unlocked. I almost went to AT&T, but Bestbuy talked me out of it because of coverage in my area.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
In contrast, the unlocked version should allow you to use mobile hotspot for free, so that you can share your phone's internet connection with other devices such as tablets, laptops , etc. The Verizon version will not let you do this for free - you have to sign up for an additional monthly plan.

That depends on your plan. I think most of the newer plans include hotspot for no additional charge.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m/support/mobile-hotspot-faqs/&token=6KRE-s_i

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Went with unlocked S8 on Verizon. Everything works fine with no Verizon bloat. All I did was put SIM card from my Note 5 in the S8.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
It has also been my experience as someone who has an unlocked version that there can be issues getting services from Verizon MVNO's like Total Wireless, red pocket, boom etc. If I had known about this I would've bought a Verizon model which can be activated on any of the carriers anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Horses for courses. Locked phones are just that. Locked. You get bloatware. Your updates will depend on the network provider.
Unlocked, you can put any sim into it, if you don't like a network, change. If you go abroad, just get a local prepaid and away you go.

If you go aborad with a Verizon version you can use any SIM as well -- Just FYI.

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Ah so, it must vary with country and network. In Australia you get locked into one, you are locked and have to pay to get unlocked. You get all the bloat and if you go overseas, you have to pay for international roaming. Vodafone doesn't even roam within the country, so if you don't have a tower, you are fresh out of luck. In general, unlocked devices are more reliably updated here in my experience...

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Updates are literally a week or 2 behind hardly a long wait . The only features that you will miss out on compared to the Verizon model is WiFi calling and visual voicemail which I simply remidied with Google voice. The benefits to the unlocked are just that, no bloat, pure Samsung software (no carrier has had their hands in the software tweaking things) because they all do that to some extent . And you can use it on any carrier . There benefits and negatives to both you will have to weigh the options and decide. I went unlocked because Verizon bloats the phone it and locks out some features of the unlocked device that I wanted. Samsung cloud,device maintenance app, and no bloat ware . It works great and battery has been excellent we got the July updates and the nav bar update 2 weeks behind Verizon and I'm perfectly ok with that. 👍

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah so, it must vary with country and network. In Australia you get locked into one, you are locked and have to pay to get unlocked. You get all the bloat and if you go overseas, you have to pay for international roaming. Vodafone doesn't even roam within the country, so if you don't have a tower, you are fresh out of luck. In general, unlocked devices are more reliably updated here in my experience...
Well that's how it can be in the states. Usually once paid off you request it be unlocked.

Verizon got some spectrum awhile back and part of the agreement to get that spectrum is their phones be unlocked right away. It would be nice if we could say Verizon was being nice but they kind of were forced to since they wanted that spectrum :D.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
you lose Verizon voicemail (and notifications) so you have to hit "1" and listen or get a 3rd party voicemail. can't download it. YouMail is a decent sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969