New to Android - Adding an outlook contact?!

Bigsro

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
Morning all,

I've recently jumped ship from Windows Phone/Mobile over to a Galaxy S8+.

Loving the hardware and app catalogue so far, but I have stumbled upon a strange issue. Being a windows user, all of my contacts are held in my outlook/MS account.

I added a contact the other day for a work colleague. I since tried to whatsapp said colleague and discovered the contact hadn't actually saved.

After digging through the stock contacts app I managed to get the contact saved through the MS Exchange Active Sync 'location', but I'm unable to add the contact to my 'Outlook' location in the contacts app (where all of my contacts reside). When I try to save I get a pop-up that says 'contact not found' and it doesn't save.

Is this a common outlook/android issue?

Many thanks

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with using Outlook for contact syncing as I save all my contacts to my Gmail account. You can customize which contacts show in the app by going to Menu - Settings - Contacts to display. There you can choose which accounts show up.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. With mine I have Microsoft Exchange when I set it up on my phone I set it to sync mail, contacts, tasks. It saves all my Microsoft Exchange contacts to the phone that way if I add a new one on the work pc they appear on the phone pretty much right away. I have auto sync on most of the day that can be part as well.

Do you have your outlook setup to sync contacts to the phone and do you have auto sync on?

Bigsro

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...

munnarg - I've got my outlook contacts already filtered but thanks.

amyf27 - Yes to both regarding outlook. I just can't add a new contact specifically to outlook. Outlook is set to sync-contacts in both settings > accounts > outlook > sync settings and within the outlook app itself...

There isn't an option within the Outlook app for android to add a new contact (that I can see anyway) but within the stock contacts app I can try and add one but it doesn't save. If I add the contact on my Windows tablet I'm sure it will sync through fine to the S8+...

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...

munnarg - I've got my outlook contacts already filtered but thanks.

amyf27 - Yes to both regarding outlook. I just can't add a new contact specifically to outlook. Outlook is set to sync-contacts in both settings > accounts > outlook > sync settings and within the outlook app itself...

There isn't an option within the Outlook app for android to add a new contact (that I can see anyway) but within the stock contacts app I can try and add one but it doesn't save. If I add the contact on my Windows tablet I'm sure it will sync through fine to the S8+...

The Outlook app for Android doesn't have the option to add contacts -- it just syncs them from your outlook.com (or similar) account.

Re the stock contacts app -- did you use the Import/Export option to add the contacts? if so, changes will not sync back to your account.

Did you add the outlook.com account as an email account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463