S8 vs Iphone 8

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Not going to lie .. I wiped my S8+ and am using a friends iPhone 7 Plus. I am not sure I am going to last after tonight. Not that it is horrid or anything but I am just used to certain tweaks on Android such as notifications per app at the top left, signal info, bandwidth monitor, easier integration with things like LastPass, etc.

Nothing major or super game breaking but I miss my few things really bad lol. iMessage still is fun though. I was just able to get a video of my nephew from my mom in full quality.
iMessage and FaceTime are tough to lose as someone who previously had iPhone. it's not a complete deal breaker but I'd defenitely love to have those on Android.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also it doesn't matter what keyboard I use on Android, I've tried them all and imo nothing beats typing on the iPhone keyboard. Again, not a deal breaker, but it's something I miss
I personally hate the Apple keyboard, but loved Gboard on iPhone for the short time I did that. Then Gboard came to Android and I stopped hating Google briefly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also it doesn't matter what keyboard I use on Android, I've tried them all and imo nothing beats typing on the iPhone keyboard. Again, not a deal breaker, but it's something I miss

That I disagree on. I have zero issues using Gboard on Android.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally hate the Apple keyboard, but loved Gboard on iPhone for the short time I did that. Then Gboard came to Android and I stopped hating Google briefly.

I cracked .. Few hours on iPhone and I can't handle it :-x. I am powering my S8+ back up right now.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
That I disagree on. I have zero issues using Gboard on Android.
I do like Gboard. That's what I use. It's the closest thing to typing on an iPhone. If you had typed on iPhone for the past 7 years like me you'd agree haha. Gboard is the best keyboard on Android though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do like Gboard. That's what I use. It's the closest thing to typing on an iPhone. If you had typed on iPhone for the past 7 years like me you'd agree haha. Gboard is the best keyboard on Android though.

I have :p. I used iPhone 6 Plus for 4 months or so. I just used it again today.

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I went from iPhone 5S to the 7S and hated the 7 and 2 days later bought the S8+ and I am no longer an iPhone fan and converted from an Android hater to a lover. 😍

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll get an iPhone 8. I like having an android phone and a iPhone to move between.
My experience with Samsung is they bog down after about 18 to 24 mos. If you buy a new phone every year it's not a problem.
I've heard the iPhone 8 is supposed to blow circles around the S8 speed wise although I don't see how but that's what I read from a reported leak. It was pretty impressive to what the numbers reportedly said vs the S8. Remains to be seen though.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
My experience with Samsung is they bog down after about 18 to 24 mos. If you buy a new phone every year it's not a problem.
That goes with any phone including iPhones. If you try to update the iOS version a 3rd time you will start noticing some slowdown and lag. 2 iOS version (equal 2 years) or 2 years with the same or 1 Android upgrade on a different phone, that's about how it works now

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That goes with any phone including iPhones. If you try to update the iOS version a 3rd time you will start noticing some slowdown and lag. 2 iOS version (equal 2 years) or 2 years with the same or 1 Android upgrade on a different phone, that's about how it works now
The nice thing about ios is you don't have to take updates.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
The nice thing about ios is you don't have to take updates.
That's a fair point but the problem is if you ignore them too long and you get left in the dust as far as features. Im not disagreeing that iOS devices have more longevity but the fact is companies don't want you holding your phones longer than 2 years anymore, and if they can keep you from holding it longer than 1 year that's even better.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's a fair point but the problem is if you ignore them too long and you get left in the dust as far as features. Im not disagreeing that iOS devices have more longevity but the fact is companies don't want you holding your phones longer than 2 years anymore, and if they can keep you from holding it longer than 1 year that's even better.
That's my complaint w Samsung. Like virtually everyone was pissed about Note 4 update that killed battery life among other things. Planned obsolescence. If the Note 8 is priced over a grand it should work well for more than 2 years.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
That's my complaint w Samsung. Like virtually everyone was pissed about Note 4 update that killed battery life among other things. Planned obsolescence. If the Note 8 is priced over a grand it should work well for more than 2 years.
Yeah, it should. But that digs into their pockets if you hold onto the phone longer than 2 years. Actually keeping a phone for even 2 years is a pretty long time nowadays. It sucks man but unfortunately that's just the way it goes and as long as their are people who jump ship to a different phone every 6 months it will just continue

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
And honestly you can't call Samsung out and not call Apple out because every September they come on stage and take a gigantic crap on their phones from last year to get people to purchase the "new one" that has very few actual benefits over the one they already have.