Do you use the always on display?

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Recently I did a test and with aod I got around 5.45 hr on screen time but with aod
turned off I got 7.30 hr, to me that's a big diffrence and I'm thinking I should just keep it off, I wish Samsung would optimize it better though or add an option so it only turns on when it detects motion like in Motorola phones and then turn off after 4-5 seconds.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I think I get better battery life with it on. Theoretically its meant to, as the clock doesn't use much power with only a few pixels lit up. As opposed to waking up the device to check the time.
I have all my apps sleep with the screen off and so I get great battery life. The display goes off when it detects it's face down, or in my pocket and adjusts brightness to ambient light. I reckon it's one of the best functions in later versions!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Thorough the device manager... On the bottom on the battery screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170804-194629.jpg
    Screenshot_20170804-194629.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 50

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Always keep it on 24/7 including the home button. Just too valuable to turn off. I don't use a background and just use the simple white digital clock with all black behind it. It seems to help the battery a little having no background I've found. I hate the way Moto do it and only activates with motion. I like the way you can hold the notifications etc to see if they're worth opening but I can't stand the Moto Display not being always on but I think you're right and they should at least give you that option like Nokia/Microsoft did with Glance where you could activate it for a few seconds by waving your hand over the proximity sensor. I think Moto should also give that option to gave Moto Display on at all times too lol. That's the only thing that's stopped me trying the Moto Z phones

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Thorough the device manager... On the bottom on the battery screen
Sorry for the perhaps dumb question, but what is the Device Manager? Do you mean the settings? If so, where? I don't see it under Battery in the Settings. Or is it a separate app?

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for the perhaps dumb question, but what is the Device Manager? Do you mean the settings? If so, where? I don't see it under Battery in the Settings. Or is it a separate app?
To clarify, I don't see a place that says Always Sleeping Apps on my phone.
And I always use the AOD btw.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Settings...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170804-224854.jpg
    Screenshot_20170804-224854.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20170804-225009.jpg
    Screenshot_20170804-225009.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 42

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My S7 running the same version with same update doesn't have that function either, but the S8 does... Not sure why...

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I like and use AOD, but hate how Samsung does not allow the screen to turn off in pocket with AOD activated. Even with the setting set to turn the screen off when in pocket, the screen does not turn off. My leg accidentally starts or turns off my music, opens apps, tries to respond to notifications, etc. I am not sure why they cannot program the proximity sensor to work properly to turn everything off when in pocket, etc. There is another thread somewhere involving that problem. Otherwise, AOD is great.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I like and use AOD, but hate how Samsung does not allow the screen to turn off in pocket with AOD activated. Even with the setting set to turn the screen off when in pocket, the screen does not turn off. My leg accidentally starts or turns off my music, opens apps, tries to respond to notifications, etc. I am not sure why they cannot program the proximity sensor to work properly to turn everything off when in pocket, etc. There is another thread somewhere involving that problem. Otherwise, AOD is great.

Uh? Whenever I take my S8 out of the pocket, the display is off and turns on in a second or two after it's in my hand.

You probably should enable this:

Settings->Display->Keep screen turned off

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Uh? Whenever I take my S8 out of the pocket, the display is off and turns on in a second or two after it's in my hand.

You probably should enable this:

Settings->Display->Keep screen turned off

I have that setting set, as noted. It takes at least a couple of minutes before AOD turns off in your pocket. Try blocking the sensor and see how long it takes to turn the screen off.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have that setting set, as noted. It takes at least a couple of minutes before AOD turns off in your pocket. Try blocking the sensor and see how long it takes to turn the screen off.

You cannot activate the display or unlock with AOD. So, not sure where the OP issue is. Because AOD does not turn on the display even without this setting on or off.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No he's right. I've got the setting turned on to prevent the screen turning on in my pocket but it still activates the screen if you press a button but a pop-up appears saying the screen will turn off in 5 seconds. It happens a lot and I can feel the phone vibrating with touches on my pocket and if it's dark I can also see the light from the screen in my pocket

Attachments

• 3353.jpg
    3353.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 28

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
No he's right. I've got the setting turned on to prevent the screen turning on in my pocket but it still activates the screen if you press a button but a pop-up appears saying the screen will turn off in 5 seconds. It happens a lot and I can feel the phone vibrating with touches on my pocket and if it's dark I can also see the light from the screen in my pocket

So, we are talking two things here.

AOD itself doesn't activate the display. As you said, other actions, like "press a button" can activate the display. Totally different conversations.