09-02-2017 12:17 AM
88 1234
tools
    PaulQ:
    Having also came from the Mate 9 and G6 I feel your pain. Nobody really understands what a fast fps sensor is until theyve used a device like the Mate 9 and nobody really understands how a perfectly placed fps makes the device much more enjoyable.

The position of the fps on the S8 series is awkward to say the least. It forces you to position your hand in an unnatural way. It's accuracy is affected by that since your finger is slightly angled and doesn't always land flush on the sensor. I've gotten mostly used to it but this fps isn't anywhere near the same class as the Mate 9 in regards to speed or accuracy.

Unfortunately it looks like Samsung is going to stick with the placement so the only options are try and get used to it, use another security feature, or abandon the device.
    08-06-2017 11:03 AM
    Have fun!
    08-06-2017 11:35 AM
    Get a smart watch, pair it with the phone and enable smart unlock. DONE. You don't need to use FP unless you are away from your watch.

Have had this setup for over a year now. LOVE IT.
    This is a rediculous work around for multiple reasons.
    08-06-2017 01:02 PM
    This is a rediculous work around for multiple reasons.
    Hmmmm, 1st, this is not a work around. This is what I have on my S8 Plus and many other phones I owned (S7 Edge, Pixel XL, Nexues 5x and Nexues 6P).

Please enlighten us why this is a rediculous setup to have your smart watch smart unlock your phone. And please please don't give me BS answer about security response. I know what is good for my phone and my information on it better than you do.

This setup might not work for you for "security" reasons but I think you are coming of as arrogant to call it rediculous.
    08-06-2017 01:17 PM
    I mean there's like 3-4 other ways to unlock your phone.. if it's that much of a problem use one of the other methods. boom problem solved.
    robmidi likes this.
    08-06-2017 02:05 PM

I now hate this fingerprint sensor and that emotion is bleeding into the whole phone.
    It is the doorway to the phone that you use all the time to get into the phone and actually use it. It's critical. It's Samsung! The major player! Shocking.

It's totally hit and miss for me. It's frustrating. It takes me multiple taps almost all the time. It's slow. It's ruining my experience with this phone.
    Feel exactly the same, totally ruined an otherwise very good phone for me.

The note 8 looks set to repeat the mistake too!
    08-06-2017 04:08 PM
    Having also came from the Mate 9 and G6 I feel your pain. Nobody really understands what a fast fps sensor is until theyve used a device like the Mate 9
    Bingo! It was so amazing. I don't know how they did it. You literally just touch it and you're in. Not only that, the screen came on instantly.

The puzzling thing is that Huawei did it... why in the world wouldn't Samsung be able to do it? Samsung!

and nobody really understands how a perfectly placed fps makes the device much more enjoyable.
    I think a lot of people can relate to this because the S8 is the first time it has been placed in such a terrible place. I think most people get that the placement sucks. I could deal with the placement if it worked. Yeah, it's annoying but acceptable given the rest of the phone.
    08-07-2017 01:36 AM
    Hmmmm, 1st, this is not a work around. This is what I have on my S8 Plus and many other phones I owned (S7 Edge, Pixel XL, Nexues 5x and Nexues 6P).

Please enlighten us why this is a rediculous setup to have your smart watch smart unlock your phone. And please please don't give me BS answer about security response. I know what is good for my phone and my information on it better than you do.

This setup might not work for you for "security" reasons but I think you are coming of as arrogant to call it rediculous.
    What you suggest is a work-around. It works around the fact that the FPS is a poorly designed pain in the butt. Your suggestion, that someone just go out and purchase ANOTHER product and strap it to their body all day, just to easily access their cell phone, is ridiculous. Now, YOU may use that set-up. You may like it. However; that doesn’t mean it’s a good suggestion. Not everyone wants a smartwatch on all day, buzzing you and annoying you. Plenty of people already wear nice watches, Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. Why would they take those off for a crap gadget, just to access their phone? See, just because there IS a solution doesn’t mean it’s a GOOD solution.

Oh yeah, it's also not secure. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. It matters to me, it matters to my employer, and it matters to my clients.
    08-07-2017 07:40 AM
    What you suggest is a work-around. It works around the fact that the FPS is a poorly designed pain in the butt. Your suggestion, that someone just go out and purchase ANOTHER product and strap it to their body all day, just to easily access their cell phone, is ridiculous. Now, YOU may use that set-up. You may like it. However; that doesn’t mean it’s a good suggestion. Not everyone wants a smartwatch on all day, buzzing you and annoying you. Plenty of people already wear nice watches, Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. Why would they take those off for a crap gadget, just to access their phone? See, just because there IS a solution doesn’t mean it’s a GOOD solution.

Oh yeah, it's also not secure. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. It matters to me, it matters to my employer, and it matters to my clients.
    The person posted this announce with his phone already has a smart watch. I shared how I use my phone. Up to him to decide what he wants to do. It's a free country we live in.
    B Hoste likes this.
    08-07-2017 08:01 AM
    Do we need to take a break?
    08-07-2017 08:02 AM
    Yes. enough already. we get it!
    08-07-2017 08:33 AM
    The person posted this announce with his phone already has a smart watch. I shared how I use my phone. Up to him to decide what he wants to do. It's a free country we live in.
    Yep, your right. Come on everyone, Russia is a free country.
    08-07-2017 09:06 AM
    That sucks that it isn't working well for you. I agree, definitely a deal breaker if it doesn't work right. I don't like the placement of the FPS but I've gotten used to it so it feels second nature to me now. Mine works fast and flawlessly and now that I'm used to the location of the FPS, it doesn't bother me anymore. It definitely should be in the center below the camera if it's on the back. Like the LG V20. The next S model will probably have the FPS in the screen on the front.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-07-2017 09:47 AM
    That sucks that it isn't working well for you. I agree, definitely a deal breaker if it doesn't work right. I don't like the placement of the FPS but I've gotten used to it so it feels second nature to me now. Mine works fast and flawlessly and now that I'm used to the location of the FPS, it doesn't bother me anymore. It definitely should be in the center below the camera if it's on the back. Like the LG V20. The next S model will probably have the FPS in the screen on the front.
    It Looks like they are now moving the FPS into the screen on the Note 9, because Apple looks like they won't be doing it this year either on their iPhone 8 or whatever.
    08-07-2017 10:04 AM
    It Looks like they are now moving the FPS into the screen on the Note 9, because Apple looks like they won't be doing it this year either on their iPhone 8 or whatever.
    It's all talk at this point. They can say they will do it next year, that's a long way off.

I used to think under the screen was a bad idea because of the inevitable smudge spot forming there but I've changed my mind. If they can put it where the "invisible home button" is on the S8, they've nailed it. (Oh - assuming it actually works!). This gets rid of always having to pick up your phone too.

There's no acceptable excuse for Samsung's placement choice on the S8. Didn't someone say it's because they had to rush it? Is that their excuse? I don't recall.

As soon as one phone succeeds at this, obviously it will just roll forward onto most of the "big guys" in the phone market, if not all.
    Joshua_Muldoon likes this.
    08-07-2017 06:24 PM
    I would like to know how slow is the FPS to the OP? I set mine up and it works instantly every time. IMO, the FPS is in a great spot for the size of my hands and where my finger falls naturally on the back of the phone. With that being said, I would like it under the screen.
    08-07-2017 06:25 PM
    I would like to know how slow is the FPS to the OP?
    I'm the OP.

It's not slow. It doesn't work. Tap, press, press, press.... works. Or tap, press, press, press, press, GRRRRR! Use PIN. I know how to use a FPS.

Once it does, it brings up the home screen in an acceptable amount of time. Not as quick as the Mate 9 but acceptable.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-07-2017 06:30 PM
    This thread seems to have escalated quickly......... I never had issues with either the fps or the iris scanner on my s8+ fact is i used the iris scanner more since it worked in both total darkness and bright sunlight with my normal glasses and polarised ones (both prescription glasses if that matters). I didn't come here to vent from all the bad though i traded mine for a g6 end of story it's not worth all that drama tbh.
    08-07-2017 06:47 PM
    It might help if you bought a case that has 3 separate openings around the sensor/camera area. It sort of gives instant feedback as to where your finger should be.
    08-07-2017 07:12 PM
    It might help if you bought a case that has 3 separate openings around the sensor/camera area. It sort of gives instant feedback as to where your finger should be.
    Already did. Actually, I don't think I've seen a case that doesn't have this? It's really not the placement that is my issue. It's something you can train yourself to deal with.
    08-07-2017 07:19 PM
    Let's just admit it the FPS is in a poor location and not user friendly, it's a Givin with this phone and guessing most likely Samsungs last on the back
    08-07-2017 08:53 PM
    Let's just admit it the FPS is in a poor location and not user friendly, it's a Givin with this phone and guessing most likely Samsungs last on the back
    Yes, but there's a difference between the FPS being in an awkward place, and it not working at all.
    08-07-2017 10:21 PM
    08-08-2017 05:56 AM
    Why do people get so emotional about a location of the FPS, most (I know, not ALL) phones have them on rear. People are upset about moving their finger less then half an inch. Really? It's that BIG of a deal? Really?
    Jona005 likes this.
    08-08-2017 07:55 AM
    Why do people get so emotional about a location of the FPS, most (I know, not ALL) phones have them on rear. People are upset about moving their finger less then half an inch. Really? It's that BIG of a deal? Really?
    Do you have the S8 or S8+? Have you tried a phone with one in a lower spot such as the G6 or Pixel? It is just easier to find without having to look versus it being all clumped with the camera.

Yeah it may not be a big deal to you but some it can be bothersome.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-08-2017 10:33 AM
88 1234