I've had it after only a month! Moving on to Pixel 2 or LG V30 when they come out

robmidi

May 3, 2017
Visit site
I've been following this thread now for months. My wife and I currently have Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. We are due for new phones in September and plan on going with the S8, however, I fear we may have to engage the services of a cuddling Center in order to overcome the apparent faults with this device!

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I've been following this thread now for months. My wife and I currently have Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. We are due for new phones in September and plan on going with the S8, however, I fear we may have to engage the services of a cuddling Center in order to overcome the apparent faults with this device!

Nah, you'll love it. It's one of the best devices ever released. But not without faults, like any other phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a day old :p.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The question is how can you make sure you don't fall for the same pitfall as the s8? What if you also see no complaints on FPS from v30.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The question is how can you make sure you don't fall for the same pitfall as the s8? What if you also see no complaints on FPS from v30.

The problem is I might not see complaints as there weren't any major ones on the S8. But odds are in my favor here - every other FPS I have used, including on Samsung tablets, has been quite good. Also - I will be paying keen attention to it in the first week (inside return window).

I have to wait and see what these new phones are like when they actually come out.

On the verge of doing a reset on this S8....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The problem is I might not see complaints as there weren't any major ones on the S8. But odds are in my favor here - every other FPS I have used, including on Samsung tablets, has been quite good. Also - I will be paying keen attention to it in the first week (inside return window).

I have to wait and see what these new phones are like when they actually come out.

On the verge of doing a reset on this S8....
I don't remember if I mentioned this in this thread or not but I like to train the same finger multiple times on the same sensor which I believe helps increase its accuracy

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like it isn't working right and should of been swapped out with a new one after purchase. I have several Samsung devices and the finger print scanners work as well as any other phone. I worked for Verizon so I've seen hundreds of phones unlocked via finger print as I frequently helped customers set it up.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I like you can't stand it or get used to it. It rarely works and I am someone who sits on a desk 8 hours a day so my phone is on the desk and don't want to keep lifting it to touch the fingerprint sensor so here is what I did as no other phone has the features I want right now, great camera and wireless charging and small size ( I have the S8)

1) Enable the PIN lock

2) Register your fingerprint and IRIS scanner even though we won't use them much but just for the heck of having it all complete

3) Set the phone to lock after 30 mins rather than instantly, that way, you only need to enter the PIN once in 30 mins of unattended access which is not that bad

4) Enable secure location so it doesn't lock the phone in your car or while at home or work

This way, when I want to access my phone, it's not locked and goes straight to the home screen, yes there is an option for that I forgot where it is but it allows you to bypass the lock screen to have to swipe up even and go straight to your homescreen provided the phone is not locked (as in past 30 mins of not using it).

Now, when you do want to lock your phone instantly, simply press the power button once and it's locked and now requires a PIN or fingerprint or your eye.

That is all great advice, enable secure location and change to a 30 minute lock and you just cut down your usage of the FPS by a lot.. Sure is a lot easier than getting rid of a phone that you otherwise like

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I don't mind the location as much as I used to, and it works first go every time I use it. Take others advice and set your fingers up in multiple different positions multiple times per finger and that will help considerably. If you've done this already, then you either think you've done it but really didn't do a very good job, or you got a bum unit and need it replaced. There's nothing wrong with the functionality of this FPS at all...

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
PaulQ:
Having also came from the Mate 9 and G6 I feel your pain. Nobody really understands what a fast fps sensor is until theyve used a device like the Mate 9 and nobody really understands how a perfectly placed fps makes the device much more enjoyable.

The position of the fps on the S8 series is awkward to say the least. It forces you to position your hand in an unnatural way. It's accuracy is affected by that since your finger is slightly angled and doesn't always land flush on the sensor. I've gotten mostly used to it but this fps isn't anywhere near the same class as the Mate 9 in regards to speed or accuracy.

Unfortunately it looks like Samsung is going to stick with the placement so the only options are try and get used to it, use another security feature, or abandon the device.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
This is a rediculous work around for multiple reasons.
Hmmmm, 1st, this is not a work around. This is what I have on my S8 Plus and many other phones I owned (S7 Edge, Pixel XL, Nexues 5x and Nexues 6P).

Please enlighten us why this is a rediculous setup to have your smart watch smart unlock your phone. And please please don't give me BS answer about security response. I know what is good for my phone and my information on it better than you do.

This setup might not work for you for "security" reasons but I think you are coming of as arrogant to call it rediculous.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I mean there's like 3-4 other ways to unlock your phone.. if it's that much of a problem use one of the other methods. boom problem solved. ;)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Having also came from the Mate 9 and G6 I feel your pain. Nobody really understands what a fast fps sensor is until theyve used a device like the Mate 9

Bingo! It was so amazing. I don't know how they did it. You literally just touch it and you're in. Not only that, the screen came on instantly.

The puzzling thing is that Huawei did it... why in the world wouldn't Samsung be able to do it? Samsung!

and nobody really understands how a perfectly placed fps makes the device much more enjoyable.

I think a lot of people can relate to this because the S8 is the first time it has been placed in such a terrible place. I think most people get that the placement sucks. I could deal with the placement if it worked. Yeah, it's annoying but acceptable given the rest of the phone.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm, 1st, this is not a work around. This is what I have on my S8 Plus and many other phones I owned (S7 Edge, Pixel XL, Nexues 5x and Nexues 6P).

Please enlighten us why this is a rediculous setup to have your smart watch smart unlock your phone. And please please don't give me BS answer about security response. I know what is good for my phone and my information on it better than you do.

This setup might not work for you for "security" reasons but I think you are coming of as arrogant to call it rediculous.

What you suggest is a work-around. It works around the fact that the FPS is a poorly designed pain in the butt. Your suggestion, that someone just go out and purchase ANOTHER product and strap it to their body all day, just to easily access their cell phone, is ridiculous. Now, YOU may use that set-up. You may like it. However; that doesn’t mean it’s a good suggestion. Not everyone wants a smartwatch on all day, buzzing you and annoying you. Plenty of people already wear nice watches, Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. Why would they take those off for a crap gadget, just to access their phone? See, just because there IS a solution doesn’t mean it’s a GOOD solution.

Oh yeah, it's also not secure. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. It matters to me, it matters to my employer, and it matters to my clients.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
What you suggest is a work-around. It works around the fact that the FPS is a poorly designed pain in the butt. Your suggestion, that someone just go out and purchase ANOTHER product and strap it to their body all day, just to easily access their cell phone, is ridiculous. Now, YOU may use that set-up. You may like it. However; that doesn’t mean it’s a good suggestion. Not everyone wants a smartwatch on all day, buzzing you and annoying you. Plenty of people already wear nice watches, Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. Why would they take those off for a crap gadget, just to access their phone? See, just because there IS a solution doesn’t mean it’s a GOOD solution.

Oh yeah, it's also not secure. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. It matters to me, it matters to my employer, and it matters to my clients.
The person posted this announce with his phone already has a smart watch. I shared how I use my phone. Up to him to decide what he wants to do. It's a free country we live in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12