I don't know why people don't credit this enough. The face Scanner is amazing. It unlocks my phone as long as there is some light in the room 99% of the time. Whether it's at my desk or I'm driving or walking outside it doesn't fail. You have to take a realistic scan just like how you would look at the phone and then it should be successful almost every time. I don't even use the fingerprint scanner that much now.

I can see why apple saw this and decided to make it a full fledged feature in the next phone. If Samsung can use infrared on their next phone for nighttime usage, then this is how I would like to unlock the phone in the future. It simply works for me every time!
    08-05-2017 01:56 AM
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the face scanner could be fooled in that you could show it a photograph of the registered face and it would unlock...not good news if this is true.
    08-05-2017 02:25 AM
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the face scanner could be fooled in that you could show it a photograph of the registered face and it would unlock...not good news if this is true.
    That's been fixed.
    08-05-2017 03:07 AM
    I wear glasses so face scanner works so much better than iris for me.
    08-05-2017 05:44 AM
    I don't even consider using it since I use my phone a lot at night and it depends on light being present to work. FPS and Iris Scanner work in absolute darkness however so that's the 2 options I choose of the 3 (when I'm not using Smart unlock/trusted devices that is)
    deadbeatles likes this.
    08-05-2017 05:48 AM
    Yeah cause if you lost your phone total strangers carry portraits of you to unlock your phone with.
    08-05-2017 05:50 AM
    I've NEVER had even one successful attempt at using the face scanner no matter the lighting
    deadbeatles likes this.
    08-05-2017 05:51 AM
    I've NEVER had even one successful attempt at using the face scanner no matter the lighting
    Ummm. You may want to consider a replacement. That's not normal
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    08-05-2017 06:05 AM
    I don't even consider using it since I use my phone a lot at night and it depends on light being present to work. FPS and Iris Scanner work in absolute darkness however so that's the 2 options I choose of the 3 (when I'm not using Smart unlock/trusted devices that is)
    I've found that the opposite works for me. Iris does not work in the dark (probably the glasses thing) but, strangely, face recognition always does because the display light usually gives off enough light to shine on my face for it to work.
    08-05-2017 06:09 AM
    Ummm. You may want to consider a replacement. That's not normal
    This is my second S8 and hasn't worked on either one. Had to turn face recognition off on the first one just to get fingerprint and iris scanners to work reliably. My windows 10 laptop face recognition works good, so must not be my face.
    deadbeatles likes this.
    08-05-2017 07:35 AM
    Portraits do not fool the face Scanner. And if you seriously can't get it to work, try scanning your face further away from the phone.
    08-05-2017 08:12 PM
    I find face scanning faster than iris scanning. Also theres a setting in face scanning to make it harder to use image to fake the scanner.

It's so fast that I thought my screen lock is disabled.
    burrzoo likes this.
    08-05-2017 10:02 PM
    Yeah cause if you lost your phone total strangers carry portraits of you to unlock your phone with.
    So you've never heard of homes that have been broken into where items such as phones and wallets containing photos have been stolen or nosey friends or family members that would have access to photos and the users phone? No, would never happen
    08-06-2017 05:34 AM
    I find face scanning faster than iris scanning. Also theres a setting in face scanning to make it harder to use image to fake the scanner.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9318c0ceb2.jpg
    Hmmm I don't have that option. Yet another thing Verizon removed I guess. Smh
    08-06-2017 07:24 AM
    It's not very secure. I prefer iris scanning.
    08-06-2017 09:34 AM

That setting isn't available on my device, but I'm not sure if it's due to Verizon removing it or the security settings from my work email that removed it.
    08-06-2017 09:36 AM
    Does using facd scanning chew up more battery? Is something on more than normal so that the device is ready to scan?
    08-06-2017 10:02 AM
    I don't use it as I don't have anything on my phone to worry about.
    08-06-2017 11:34 AM
    So you've never heard of homes that have been broken into where items such as phones and wallets containing photos have been stolen or nosey friends or family members that would have access to photos and the users phone? No, would never happen
    Yes but what are the chances they break in, get all that stuff, AND wait for you to get home just so that they can get your phone as well?
    08-06-2017 12:21 PM
    Is it really worth using the Face Scanner when you still need to use Fingerprint or Iris to unlock all secure apps anyway? It just means you end up depending on all 3 biometric unlock tools and only 2 are secure enough to be taken seriously
    08-06-2017 12:30 PM
    That hoax was debunked. aside from that, I don't know many strangers walking around with pictures of me lol.
    08-06-2017 12:42 PM

Don't have that option either. What carrier you with?
    08-06-2017 01:54 PM
    worked fantastically the first two days (release day) then I loaded the update. it hasn't worked since, despite several more updates. (a VZW s8 and unlocked s8+)
    08-06-2017 04:01 PM
    I don't know why people don't credit this enough. The face Scanner is amazing. It unlocks my phone as long as there is some light in the room 99% of the time.
    You're lucky. Mine works about 50% of the time as long as I'm standing in one spot in my house and nowhere else. Right in that spot it works ok. It opens the phone unexpectedly no matter what the angle is between the phone and my face. And again it happens about 50% of the time I'm standing in that spot in my house and pick up the phone.

The only thing that consistently works is the fingerprint scanner. Face scanner works when I get lucky. I don't expect it so it kind of surprises me when it happens. The iris scanner has never worked for me and is just another "feature" of the phone that I can and (and apparently will) never use.
    08-07-2017 01:40 PM