Notifications on Samsung S8

A

AC Question

Hello

I currently have an iPhone 7 and heavily use the notification functionality.

Let's say I'm in meeting and the phone is on the table, locked. If someone sends a me a WhatsApp message, for example, then the phone will buzz and light up for a few seconds and I'll see a new notification on the lock screen showing that I have a WhatsApp message from the sender. The same applies for other applications like email.

I have a Samsung S8 Galaxy and am trying to replicate the same behaviour. The notifying app definitely makes a noise, but the screen doesn't light up to show the details. I have to press the button on the right hand side to view the lock screen notification.

Is this a setting somewhere or a deficiency in Android/S8?

KevinReilly

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi Rukbat

Thanks for answering.

How do you mean a difference in "that particular lock screen"? Do you mean the one that ships with the device? I haven't changed anything.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think what Rukbat means is that some Android devices may have a different lock screen depending on the manufacturer. For instance Google and Motorola both use a stripped down version of Android whereas Samsung and some other OEMs have a skin running on top of Android. Samsung's is TouchWiz and has its own look and feel.

The link is showing that you are free to install a different lock screen if you like to make it work that way you like. With Apple devices you would never see any differences between manufacturers because there is only Apple.

Last edited:

KevinReilly

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Ok great, but isn't this a setting somewhere? I"m really surprised that Samsung would want there to be a third party download for a setting that is pretty basic?

Appreciate the info.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
There isn't. Like a few others have said, each manufacturer on Android puts different unique functions on their phones and isn't always on all Android phones. That's the beauty of Android phones though, if you like a function from another phone or OS and it's not already on your phone then you can easily add it via a 3rd party app or tweak. I jump between phones and OS a lot and I like parts of Windows phones and parts of iPhones that aren't on my Galaxy s8 but I've added them quite simply.

If you have an iPhone but like Always On Display for example, there's no way to have it without changing to a phone that does because Apple are locked down without Jailbreaking. Android doesn't have that restriction

mikefiori1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
in the edge screen settings turn off the edge light notification and then the whole screen will light up and show you the message block on the lock screen. it displays for a few seconds.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I had this same issue and installed the nils lockscreen app. You can also respond or open the notification if you wish without unlocking the phone which I don't believe you could do on IOS.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Notifications are controlled by the app itself. For example, Textra has in it's settings the option to have the screen turn on when I receive a message, or leave it off. Personally I want the screen to remain off, I'll just have it light up by pressing the button when I want to.

Anyway, instead of the above options, I suggest using Lightflow instead. Not all apps has the functionality in customizing notifications like the example I mentioned, and Lightflow can work with it. It has options to light the screen up, as well as change the color of the LED per app. For example I want my SMS to have the LED blink green, purple LED for Viber, red for calls, and yellow for email. Lightflow can change that. It can also do the light up the screen on receiving a notification.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I found out that if you have edge lighting on. The screen won't turn during notification. Of the edge lighting is off, the screen will turn on but the edge of the screen will light up.

Go to settings > display > edge screen. Then turn the edge lighting on.
d62cbe4fea73cc76c010f53ef9a72f94.jpg

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I went to S3 Frontier because my S8plus wouldn't vibrate sufficiently or otherwise alert me to calls and messages. Problem solved.

KevinReilly

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses, but wanted to avoid installing another app.

I found out that if you have edge lighting on. The screen won't turn during notification. Of the edge lighting is off, the screen will turn on but the edge of the screen will light up.

I'm finding the above a bit hard to follow. So you're saying if Edge Lighting is ON, the screen won't turn on during a notification. So I need to turn Edge Lighting OFF?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Turning edge lighting off doesn't make the screen wake when a notification comes in. Not for me anyway when I've tested it

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses, but wanted to avoid installing another app.

I'm finding the above a bit hard to follow. So you're saying if Edge Lighting is ON, the screen won't turn on during a notification. So I need to turn Edge Lighting OFF?
Edge lighting on = lcd screen won't turn on. So turn on the edge lighting.

It makes sense why Samsung did that. Edge lighting will be more beautiful with screen off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers