Hello

I currently have an iPhone 7 and heavily use the notification functionality.

Let's say I'm in meeting and the phone is on the table, locked. If someone sends a me a WhatsApp message, for example, then the phone will buzz and light up for a few seconds and I'll see a new notification on the lock screen showing that I have a WhatsApp message from the sender. The same applies for other applications like email.

I have a Samsung S8 Galaxy and am trying to replicate the same behaviour. The notifying app definitely makes a noise, but the screen doesn't light up to show the details. I have to press the button on the right hand side to view the lock screen notification.

Is this a setting somewhere or a deficiency in Android/S8?
    08-05-2017 11:47 AM
    It's not a deficiency, it's a difference - in that particular lock screen. Unlike the iPhone, you're free to go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...1ljKMYIE&hl=en and find a lock screen that works the way you prefer. You're not stuck with the one that came with the phone.
    08-05-2017 01:09 PM
    Hi Rukbat

Thanks for answering.

How do you mean a difference in "that particular lock screen"? Do you mean the one that ships with the device? I haven't changed anything.
    08-05-2017 01:33 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnotifications

Use this app. I wanted that exact same function from the iPhone too so I've been using this app ever since. It replicates it perfectly.

** don't Grant the app Device Admin Permission though as it works flawlessly without it and doesn't work so well if you do for some reason
    08-05-2017 01:47 PM
    I think what Rukbat means is that some Android devices may have a different lock screen depending on the manufacturer. For instance Google and Motorola both use a stripped down version of Android whereas Samsung and some other OEMs have a skin running on top of Android. Samsung's is TouchWiz and has its own look and feel.

The link is showing that you are free to install a different lock screen if you like to make it work that way you like. With Apple devices you would never see any differences between manufacturers because there is only Apple.
    08-05-2017 01:48 PM
    Ok great, but isn't this a setting somewhere? I"m really surprised that Samsung would want there to be a third party download for a setting that is pretty basic?

Appreciate the info.
    08-05-2017 01:50 PM
    There isn't. Like a few others have said, each manufacturer on Android puts different unique functions on their phones and isn't always on all Android phones. That's the beauty of Android phones though, if you like a function from another phone or OS and it's not already on your phone then you can easily add it via a 3rd party app or tweak. I jump between phones and OS a lot and I like parts of Windows phones and parts of iPhones that aren't on my Galaxy s8 but I've added them quite simply.

If you have an iPhone but like Always On Display for example, there's no way to have it without changing to a phone that does because Apple are locked down without Jailbreaking. Android doesn't have that restriction
    08-05-2017 01:55 PM
    Ok, thanks. Is it only the S8 that has this problem or all Samsung phones like S7, A5 and so on.
    08-05-2017 02:24 PM
    in the edge screen settings turn off the edge light notification and then the whole screen will light up and show you the message block on the lock screen. it displays for a few seconds.
    08-05-2017 02:28 PM
    in the edge screen settings turn off the edge light notification and then the whole screen will light up and show you the message block on the lock screen. it displays for a few seconds.
    Hello Mike - how do you mean? I tried this but still have the same problem.
    08-05-2017 04:24 PM
    settings, display, edge screen, slide edge lighting to off.
    08-06-2017 08:56 AM
    I had this same issue and installed the nils lockscreen app. You can also respond or open the notification if you wish without unlocking the phone which I don't believe you could do on IOS.
    08-06-2017 10:22 AM
    Notifications are controlled by the app itself. For example, Textra has in it's settings the option to have the screen turn on when I receive a message, or leave it off. Personally I want the screen to remain off, I'll just have it light up by pressing the button when I want to.

Anyway, instead of the above options, I suggest using Lightflow instead. Not all apps has the functionality in customizing notifications like the example I mentioned, and Lightflow can work with it. It has options to light the screen up, as well as change the color of the LED per app. For example I want my SMS to have the LED blink green, purple LED for Viber, red for calls, and yellow for email. Lightflow can change that. It can also do the light up the screen on receiving a notification.
    08-06-2017 10:40 AM
    I found out that if you have edge lighting on. The screen won't turn during notification. Of the edge lighting is off, the screen will turn on but the edge of the screen will light up.

Go to settings > display > edge screen. Then turn the edge lighting on.
    08-06-2017 10:43 AM
    I went to S3 Frontier because my S8plus wouldn't vibrate sufficiently or otherwise alert me to calls and messages. Problem solved.
    08-06-2017 01:44 PM
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses, but wanted to avoid installing another app.

I found out that if you have edge lighting on. The screen won't turn during notification. Of the edge lighting is off, the screen will turn on but the edge of the screen will light up.

I'm finding the above a bit hard to follow. So you're saying if Edge Lighting is ON, the screen won't turn on during a notification. So I need to turn Edge Lighting OFF?
    08-06-2017 01:49 PM
    correct, turn edge lighting off.
    08-06-2017 03:32 PM
    Turning edge lighting off doesn't make the screen wake when a notification comes in. Not for me anyway when I've tested it
    08-06-2017 04:39 PM
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses, but wanted to avoid installing another app.

I'm finding the above a bit hard to follow. So you're saying if Edge Lighting is ON, the screen won't turn on during a notification. So I need to turn Edge Lighting OFF?
    Edge lighting on = lcd screen won't turn on. So turn on the edge lighting.

It makes sense why Samsung did that. Edge lighting will be more beautiful with screen off.
    08-06-2017 09:10 PM
    Edge lighting on = lcd screen won't turn on. So turn on the edge lighting.

It makes sense why Samsung did that. Edge lighting will be more beautiful with screen off.
    Turn ON or OFF?
    08-07-2017 08:11 AM
    Just go to the settings > lock screen and security > notifications and you should be able to click on what apps you want to show notifications on the lock screen. If your edge lighting works properly (mine does not), you can turn on what apps it works with as well and when the lighting turns on, like with the screen on or off or both.

Why does everyone go to adding apps for basic functions on the phone?
    08-07-2017 08:29 PM
    Just go to the settings > lock screen and security > notifications and you should be able to click on what apps you want to show notifications on the lock screen. If your edge lighting works properly (mine does not), you can turn on what apps it works with as well and when the lighting turns on, like with the screen on or off or both.

Why does everyone go to adding apps for basic functions on the phone?
    It's because the OP wants the SCREEN TO WAKE and show the list of notifications on his lockscreen the same as iPhone does but everyone is advising him how to STOP the screen waking or use edge lighting instead. The only way (to my knowledge) is to use a 3rd party app to do this on the s8. I wanted the same as he does and I installed an app that performs the function perfectly with no negative side effects. As far as I'm aware only a few OEMs have this setting built into the phone already. Huawei being one of them
    08-08-2017 12:10 AM
    If you turn edge lighting off the entire screen will turn on when notifications come in. Simply toggle and try, works for me with all stock apps. with edge lighting on the message appears up top for a second and the edge of the screen lights up. with edge lighting off the whole screen turns on like an iPhone.
    BratPAQ likes this.
    08-08-2017 07:07 AM