08-15-2017 01:34 PM
89 1234
tools
    I am not a fan of curved screens (that is being kind). Never mind the fact that it is pretty much damn near impossible to find a good fitting tempered glass screen for it. I made several attempts to get one for my wife's S7 and there were halos, dust would get under because they couldn't use a sealer layer across the whole screen, etc... I even tried plastic and those were just as big a pain.

With so many moving to curved screens now, I am disappoint.

Oh, by the way, the regular S7 screen wasn't flat either. the center part of the screen bulged out ever so slightly.... so all the headaches of the Edge screen without any of the benefits (if you can call them that).
    You're right about the regular S7. The S6 you could easily install a tempered glass screen protector. The S7 had a 2.5D curve at the edges that went too far, so you would need a plastic screen protector or the ones that glue to the edges. My ZTE Zmax Pro is like the regular S7 with the 2.5D screen going to far onto the screen, but I'm OK using a glued on glass screen protector, there's a rainbow effect but I don't see it unless I tilt it under bright light. Still better than using plastic.
    08-11-2017 08:20 AM
    I'm glad we are at a point of optimum choice in the smart phone world. You want a flat screen, there are plenty. You want a curved design for a different aesthetic, Samsung provides that. Different picture ratios, HD speakers, wild colors, dual cameras, single cameras, and every gimmick you could think of. Why would we want every manufacturer to do the same things the same way?
    Unfortunately choices are getting slim every year. Removable batteries, IR blaster, headphone jacks, and metal back phones are gone. The V30 looks like it's going to be curved with all glass design. To me, it sorta doesn't matter anymore, all of them will perform the same and look the same.
    08-11-2017 08:24 AM
    NO, everyone knows curves are sexy!
    Are you going to make love to it? No, then why does it matter? Usability over looks.
    08-11-2017 08:26 AM
    There are plenty of other phones out there that offer a flat screens. Why buy the Samsung and then wish it were different?
    Because no one could beat Samsung's Super AMOLED and amazing camera experience. Now users have 0 choice with Samsungs and it's take it or leave it.
    08-11-2017 08:29 AM
    Wow, to me it looks beautiful! I love that flat glass look. You're gonna slap a case on it anyway so it doesn't matter about the back side, who uses the S8 without a case anyway? The S8 Active looks like it already has a case on it. Reminds me of the classic Samsung Galaxy phones, this was how it was supposed to look like without the pressure and demands from the market for pretty phones.
    tuckertje01 likes this.
    08-11-2017 08:40 AM
    Wow, didn't know this many people wanted flat screens. Maybe Samsung should start to take "notes" haha!
    08-11-2017 08:47 AM
    The Galaxy S3, Note 4, S6, S7 had a slight 2.5D curve. I remember the Galaxy S3 looking so cool and beautiful, but still I could install a screen protector. People didn't like the look of the S5 but I actually liked it for some reason.
    I didn't know the S3 had curved edges, the S4 definitely did not. The curved edges on the S7, S6, Note 5, even the iPhone 6 and above felt really premium. Take the iPhone for example, even with the curved edges, you can still apply tempered glass protectors.
    08-11-2017 08:57 AM
    I wish Verizon would offer the S8 Active once AT&T's exclusively runs out. Too bad there wasn't a Poll connected to this Thread.
    08-11-2017 09:20 AM
    Wow, didn't know this many people wanted flat screens. Maybe Samsung should start to take "notes" haha!
    They did. They made a flat S6 and S7. People bought the Edge.
    08-11-2017 09:21 AM
    They did. They made a flat S6 and S7. People bought the Edge.
    But didn't the Edge versions have larger screens?
    So it was more of a desire for a bigger screen and people just tolerating the curved edges?
    08-11-2017 09:27 AM
    But didn't the Edge versions have larger screens?
    So it was more of a desire for a bigger screen and people just tolerating the curved edges?
    The s7 Edge had a larger screen and bigger battery. The S6 however, had 3 versions both larger and smaller.

But Samsung also has a research team, and the feedback they got was that people liked the premium looks of the Edge design.

There's a backlash now, but it wasn't always that way. As someone else said, the curved Galaxy how now become the design that distinguishes them from other brands.

Once everyone starts to copy, maybe they'll move back towards flat.
    08-11-2017 09:41 AM
    I absoluteley hate the look of edge screens. I especially hate the warped image at the edges but also the overall looks. That fake bezelless design while there actually still is a normal bezel at the sides. I like flat screens much more. If the S8 had one, I wouldn't be waiting for the LG V30 at the moment.
    08-11-2017 09:48 AM
    I absoluteley hate the look of edge screens. I especially hate the warped image at the edges but also the overall looks. That fake bezelless design while there actually still is a normal bezel at the sides. I like flat screens much more. If the S8 had one, I wouldn't be waiting for the LG V30 at the moment.
    The V30 has a curved design.
    08-11-2017 09:50 AM
    The V30 has a curved design.
    According to the leaks the screen itself is not curved. With curved device bodys I don't have a problem, because they are more handy.
    08-11-2017 09:53 AM
    ...Oh and unlocked AT&T phones work great on T-Mobile.
    Sorta. Last years active had some problems where they tried to reconnect to At&t towers which caused a loss of service until a reboot. They also didnt handle band 12 as well.
    08-11-2017 10:01 AM
    I wish they would have picked either the new aspect ratio OR the curved screen. I hate the combination.
    08-11-2017 10:38 AM
    I wish they would have picked either the new aspect ratio OR the curved screen. I hate the combination.
    I'm happy with the new aspect ratio. Without it, this phone would look like an S7 Edge retread. Ew...
    08-11-2017 11:14 AM
    I'm happy with the new aspect ratio. Without it, this phone would look like an S7 Edge retread. Ew...
    I like the aspect ratio. I like the curves. I just don’t like them together lol. I thought the note 7 was perfect with the subtle curves and old aspect ratio.
    08-11-2017 11:15 AM
    I like the aspect ratio. I like the curves. I just don’t like them together lol. I thought the note 7 was perfect with the subtle curves and old aspect ratio.
    Note 7 was one beautiful phone.
    08-11-2017 11:40 AM
    S7 Edge might be one of the ugliest phones of all time
    08-11-2017 01:33 PM
    I don't care for the curved screen.
    08-11-2017 04:33 PM
    I take the case off my s8 maybe once a day or every other day to give it a little clean. When I see it as it was designed to be used I think Wow, it really does look great for a phone. Then I soon remember why it's in a case because almost instantly I start getting false touches with the palm of my hand and the phone is sliding out of my hand like a wet bar of soap. Sure it looks great but it's just not practical and way way waaaay too vulnerable and fragile without a case. Kinda pointless tbh.
    08-11-2017 04:39 PM
    Note 7 was one beautiful phone.
    THIS! I've become a serial phone switcher and the note 7 was the first phone in a while that had me wanting to keep using it for at least full year or more. It was perfect for me.
    08-11-2017 05:58 PM
    I take the case off my s8 maybe once a day or every other day to give it a little clean. When I see it as it was designed to be used I think Wow, it really does look great for a phone. Then I soon remember why it's in a case because almost instantly I start getting false touches with the palm of my hand and the phone is sliding out of my hand like a wet bar of soap. Sure it looks great but it's just not practical and way way waaaay too vulnerable and fragile without a case. Kinda pointless tbh.
    And yet you bought one. To Samsung that's all that matters. You voted yes with your wallet.
    Norg likes this.
    08-11-2017 06:38 PM
    Yeah, I do.
    08-11-2017 10:29 PM
89 1234