Did you wish the s8 had a flat screen?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Annoyed with the edge displays personally, even a regular flat S7 has narrow enough bezels it's difficult to hold onto without a case and not accidently press things. Yes I can rest it in my hand fine while looking down, but gripping it to hold it level with my arms or holding it above me is annoying. This is an issue when I'm in a recliner, in bed, taking photos of things above me, etc. I also don't like how videos wrap around the edges or some app interfaces.

Than I'm a big Note fan, use them to jot down quick notes and sketch/paint in art programs. It's ridiculous to me that a device with the S Pen has curved edges because I can't write on a curve making it difficult to draw/paint edge to edge within a program.

It is what it is though, I still think Samsung makes the best phones.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Come on, be truthful and not biased. Did you think it would've been better with a flat glass screen, usability wise? This is the first year Samsung didn't offer a flat screen. As phones get curvier, I start to miss the good old flat glass, to me it looks nice (saw a regular S7 recently and it looked great). I think Samsung DID make a flat glass screen S8 but trashed it because it didn't look good.

Yes please!!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not a fan of curved screens (that is being kind). Never mind the fact that it is pretty much damn near impossible to find a good fitting tempered glass screen for it. I made several attempts to get one for my wife's S7 and there were halos, dust would get under because they couldn't use a sealer layer across the whole screen, etc... I even tried plastic and those were just as big a pain.

With so many moving to curved screens now, I am disappoint.

Oh, by the way, the regular S7 screen wasn't flat either. the center part of the screen bulged out ever so slightly.... so all the headaches of the Edge screen without any of the benefits (if you can call them that).

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The edge screens look sexy AF. Honestly though, I don't use the edge swipe thing ever, I think it's a gimmick. I don't really care if my phone has an edge or flat screen but if I the S8 was offered in flat or curved, I'd go with the curved because it looks cooler. Lol. I don't care about screen protectors.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm glad we are at a point of optimum choice in the smart phone world. You want a flat screen, there are plenty. You want a curved design for a different aesthetic, Samsung provides that. Different picture ratios, HD speakers, wild colors, dual cameras, single cameras, and every gimmick you could think of. Why would we want every manufacturer to do the same things the same way?

Last edited:

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
curved! bestskinsever for case (#hatetemperedglass)
loved the slight curve on the BlackBerry Torch 9850, too. Great feel.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad we are at a point of optimum choice in the smart phone world. You want a flat screen, there are plenty. You want a curved design for a different aesthetic, Samsung provides that. Different picture ratios, HD speakers, wild colors, dual cameras, single cameras, and every gimmick you could think of. Why would we want every manufacturer to do the same things the same way?

I guess for some scenarios, not mine though. I want a 2017 flagship phone officially supported by verizon and on dpp. my options are basically one curved (s8) and one flat (moto z2 force).

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of other phones out there that offer a flat screens. Why buy the Samsung and then wish it were different?

well because the reasons I linked above? 2017 flagship hardware has two options with verizon and dpp. one is curved, yhe other is flat.

oh and because its the 8th iteration of a phone that was flat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance