Visit site
The flat screen S8 😉
327b4e12134cdfcc22df154085765d57.jpg
ad8948882b9eb7e6ff8082057c6626d8.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep and a large part of why Ill switch to the unlocked Active.

The S8 Active is on my wish list. Had the previous S6 & S7 Active and they were great, just the screen was too small for me. Looking forward to that SD 835 paired with 4000 mAh battery, AND the completely flat screen. Oh and unlocked AT&T phones work great on T-Mobile.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: finding screen protectors... My main reason for preferring flat as well. The screen is beautiful, though. That's why I was so happy to find a TGSP that worked for me.

I've tried glass AND a wet install screen protector. The problem was trying to get it to work WITH A CASE without falling off. I'm sure they have case friendly protectors now that works (many probably spent a lot with trial and error, to me it was a headache).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Flat screen with 2.5D curves. There is something about the curved edges that makes the whole usage feel more premium. I had the Nokia Lumia 920 and that phone spoilt me lol.

The Galaxy S3, Note 4, S6, S7 had a slight 2.5D curve. I remember the Galaxy S3 looking so cool and beautiful, but still I could install a screen protector. People didn't like the look of the S5 but I actually liked it for some reason.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Annoyed with the edge displays personally, even a regular flat S7 has narrow enough bezels it's difficult to hold onto without a case and not accidently press things. Yes I can rest it in my hand fine while looking down, but gripping it to hold it level with my arms or holding it above me is annoying. This is an issue when I'm in a recliner, in bed, taking photos of things above me, etc. I also don't like how videos wrap around the edges or some app interfaces.

Than I'm a big Note fan, use them to jot down quick notes and sketch/paint in art programs. It's ridiculous to me that a device with the S Pen has curved edges because I can't write on a curve making it difficult to draw/paint edge to edge within a program.

It is what it is though, I still think Samsung makes the best phones.

Well said. Samsung makes the best phones in the world. I think the only reason why the Note and the rest of the Galaxy phones are curved is so that they could differentiate themselves from other phones. Some folks can't tell Smartphones apart from each other. People think my V20 is a Google Pixel/Nexus.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fan of curved screens (that is being kind). Never mind the fact that it is pretty much damn near impossible to find a good fitting tempered glass screen for it. I made several attempts to get one for my wife's S7 and there were halos, dust would get under because they couldn't use a sealer layer across the whole screen, etc... I even tried plastic and those were just as big a pain.

With so many moving to curved screens now, I am disappoint.

Oh, by the way, the regular S7 screen wasn't flat either. the center part of the screen bulged out ever so slightly.... so all the headaches of the Edge screen without any of the benefits (if you can call them that).

You're right about the regular S7. The S6 you could easily install a tempered glass screen protector. The S7 had a 2.5D curve at the edges that went too far, so you would need a plastic screen protector or the ones that glue to the edges. My ZTE Zmax Pro is like the regular S7 with the 2.5D screen going to far onto the screen, but I'm OK using a glued on glass screen protector, there's a rainbow effect but I don't see it unless I tilt it under bright light. Still better than using plastic.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad we are at a point of optimum choice in the smart phone world. You want a flat screen, there are plenty. You want a curved design for a different aesthetic, Samsung provides that. Different picture ratios, HD speakers, wild colors, dual cameras, single cameras, and every gimmick you could think of. Why would we want every manufacturer to do the same things the same way?

Unfortunately choices are getting slim every year. Removable batteries, IR blaster, headphone jacks, and metal back phones are gone. The V30 looks like it's going to be curved with all glass design. To me, it sorta doesn't matter anymore, all of them will perform the same and look the same.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Wow, to me it looks beautiful! I love that flat glass look. You're gonna slap a case on it anyway so it doesn't matter about the back side, who uses the S8 without a case anyway? The S8 Active looks like it already has a case on it. Reminds me of the classic Samsung Galaxy phones, this was how it was supposed to look like without the pressure and demands from the market for pretty phones.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy S3, Note 4, S6, S7 had a slight 2.5D curve. I remember the Galaxy S3 looking so cool and beautiful, but still I could install a screen protector. People didn't like the look of the S5 but I actually liked it for some reason.
I didn't know the S3 had curved edges, the S4 definitely did not. The curved edges on the S7, S6, Note 5, even the iPhone 6 and above felt really premium. Take the iPhone for example, even with the curved edges, you can still apply tempered glass protectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol