Samsung Email version 4.1.66.2 causing notification panel issues

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in a different thread, but wanted to get more visibility to it. On July 25, Samsung posted an update to the Email app in the Google Play Store. They have been moving many of their apps into the Play Store and this updated the Email app to version 4.1.66.2.

A day or so after updating, I realized that when I got one email the drop-down notification panel would properly display the email notification. BUT, if I had more than one email, it would not display any information about the emails at all in the notification panel. It would just be blank and I would have to unlock my device and open email to view who they were even from, much less the subject. This was extremely annoying to me and a waste of time. I like knowing who it is from and the subject to determine if I want to read it at that time. And since I use my device for work, this was even more important.

I didn't realize at the time that it was the Email app update, so I removed a bunch of apps, dug far into settings, googled it and I finally ended up wiping/restoring my phone. Once I did that, the notifications were working fine again.

It was after this I noticed a few reviews in the Play Store on the email app complaining about the same thing. I did NOT update to the latest version in the Play Store (4.1.66.2). I'm still currently on version 4.1.53-1 and my notifications are still working fine.

Hoping they don't take much longer to fix it, but I'm going to be careful about updating if/when they do release a fix, to ensure it really does work first.

In the meantime, I used an app to save an apk of the version that I have. Now if I do update in the future and it's still messed up, I can just revert to that apk rather than wiping my phone again. Safety net!

So if you have not yet updated to 4.1.66.2, DON'T unless the display of multiple emails in the notification panel isn't important to you

bigbmc26

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Samething happened to me, it also screwed up email notifications on my Gear S3. They don't so on the watch anymore, at all. I hope they correct it soon, as I really don't feel like resetting my phone.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in a different thread, but wanted to get more visibility to it. On July 25, Samsung posted an update to the Email app in the Google Play Store. They have been moving many of their apps into the Play Store and this updated the Email app to version 4.1.66.2.

A day or so after updating, I realized that when I got one email the drop-down notification panel would properly display the email notification. BUT, if I had more than one email, it would not display any information about the emails at all in the notification panel. It would just be blank and I would have to unlock my device and open email to view who they were even from, much less the subject. This was extremely annoying to me and a waste of time. I like knowing who it is from and the subject to determine if I want to read it at that time. And since I use my device for work, this was even more important.

I didn't realize at the time that it was the Email app update, so I removed a bunch of apps, dug far into settings, googled it and I finally ended up wiping/restoring my phone. Once I did that, the notifications were working fine again.

It was after this I noticed a few reviews in the Play Store on the email app complaining about the same thing. I did NOT update to the latest version in the Play Store (4.1.66.2). I'm still currently on version 4.1.53-1 and my notifications are still working fine.

Hoping they don't take much longer to fix it, but I'm going to be careful about updating if/when they do release a fix, to ensure it really does work first.

In the meantime, I used an app to save an apk of the version that I have. Now if I do update in the future and it's still messed up, I can just revert to that apk rather than wiping my phone again. Safety net!

So if you have not yet updated to 4.1.66.2, DON'T unless the display of multiple emails in the notification panel isn't important to you

I just found a prior version of the APK on Apk Mirror - version 4.1.64.1 that you can try downgrading to if you have already upgraded.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu.../samsung-email-4-1-64-1-android-apk-download/

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had my S8+ for a couple of weeks and as it was setting up it upgraded the mail app... I also had the same issues (as per my post on here) so I emailed the app developers..

Having sent a couple of "dump files" and "emailing logs" from my handset following a test Samsung have found there was an issue which they are going to fix with the next update...

If you use POP3 email like me that is the issue, in my case the emails did not all have "timestamps" so the app treated them as non existent or old mail so did not notify..

As advised by Samsung I testes changing all my accounts that supported IMAP to IMAP accounts and it does cure the issue, but as not all my accounts are compatible I need POP3 ...

In the meantime I am using Maildroid Pro which is excellent and works perfect..

Here is the reply from Samsung..

Dear Customer,

We found root cause of this issue from log. We found sync is ok. but there was no notification.

Because some message have 0 timestamp. so we recognized it is old mail and then no notified it.
Additionally If there is no message in list. There will be no notification even if new mail is arrived.

2017-08-08 18:39:01:434 12469 22797 [tPopSyncCommandsQueue1] PopSync| oldestTimeStamp =1502213825000
2017-08-08 18:39:11:692 12469 22839 [tPopSyncCommandsQueue2] PopSync| oldestTimeStamp =0
2017-08-08 18:39:14:854 12469 22858 [tPopSyncCommandsQueue3] PopSync| oldestTimeStamp =0
2017-08-08 18:39:22:254 12469 22890 [tPopSyncCommandsQueue4] PopSync| oldestTimeStamp =0

Maybe your account have some message which have 0 timestamp message(like 1970 year) or No message in list.
This issue is only reproduced when using pop account. so if possible, you can configure account as Imap protocol. Notification will be work properly.

But we can not send email apk because internal policy. we will upload email apk to play store in next release.
Thank you for helping to solve this issue.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Samsung Email Team

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2