Overheats when outside after 5 min on camera (but not surprised)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I was a little disappointed because the iPhone lasted longer but I'm sure Samsung is being very careful about their phones getting hot.

Filming outside in 100-degree heat, camera shut down because the phone was too hot after less than five minutes. It was mostly continuous filming. Got warning, camera stopped.

Switched over to an iPhone - it went almost 10 minutes and it shut down due to heat as well.

My GS8+ has the most minimal case I could possibly get. Just a thin plastic layer. The iPhone case was a little more substantial but nothing heavy duty.

I'm just curious now because I have never had a camera shut down like this. I've also filmed inside for quite a bit longer. How does using the camera generate excessive heat? Is it just because of the screen being on? Looks like Apple hasn't figured out how to handle it either.

Not a deal breaker. This is not something I do very often. Glad I know the limit now.

Last edited:

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
There is nominal cpu use.. the screen probably generated more heat.. but also the case is absorbing so much light, try getting a white or mirror finish case for it.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There is nominal cpu use.. the screen probably generated more heat.. but also the case is absorbing so much light, try getting a white or mirror finish case for it.

That's an interesting point about the case. I'll keep that in mind.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I was a little disappointed because the iPhone lasted longer but I'm sure Samsung is being very careful about their phones getting hot.

Filming outside in 100-degree heat, camera shut down because the phone was too hot after less than five minutes. It was mostly continuous filming. Got warning, camera stopped.

Switched over to an iPhone - it went almost 10 minutes and it shut down due to heat as well.

My GS8+ has the most minimal case I could possibly get. Just a thin plastic layer. The iPhone case was a little more substantial but nothing heavy duty.

I'm just curious now because I have never had a camera shut down like this. I've also filmed inside for quite a bit longer. How does using the camera generate excessive heat? Is it just because of the screen being on? Looks like Apple hasn't figured out how to handle it either.

Not a deal breaker. This is not something I do very often. Glad I know the limit now.

I dont think its normal...i live in india...which gets very hot in summer..but never had that issue with my any phone in years...iam now using LG G6 and honor 8 pro...no issues on these phones yet...thou i have seen my wifes s7 edge camera shut down coz of heat but that was at night...i guess samung needs to sort things out

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I dont think its normal...i live in india...which gets very hot in summer..but never had that issue with my any phone in years...iam now using LG G6 and honor 8 pro...no issues on these phones yet...thou i have seen my wifes s7 edge camera shut down coz of heat but that was at night...i guess samung needs to sort things out
Well as stared his iPhone did it as well. I get India can be hot but there are varying degrees of hot. Such as heat in Vegas is different then heat in Florida.

Phones are nothing more then computers.. tax them a bunch and cause heat and also be in a really hot area it will cause it to go into cool down mode. This isn't new to tech ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair