Picks up little scratches easily

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Held under a bright light -- Don't see it.

You pretty much are calling people a liar. You're saying they're biased and therefore must be lying and not telling the truth about them not having scratches. That is fine if you don't want to take their word for it but to sit here and just say people are biased in one forum but yet you can preach many other things elsewhere is definitely not cool at all. Posting like that is not productive at all.

It's okay to warn people about the scratches. People have the right to be informed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's okay to warn people about the scratches. People have the right to be informed.

And I never ever once said you can't warn people about potential scratches. My issue is you're saying because you had scratches that everyone has to have them or they're biased -- That is not cool. That is basically saying they're liars because they say their phone is clear.

If you want to talk about this more send me a PM. It is pretty clear what I meant and what I was talking about.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And I never ever once said you can't warn people about potential scratches. My issue is you're saying because you had scratches that everyone has to have them or they're biased -- That is not cool. That is basically saying they're liars because they say their phone is clear.

If you want to talk about this more send me a PM. It is pretty clear what I meant and what I was talking about.

My original post:

https://m.androidcentral.com/those-who-think-you-dont-need-screen-protector-gs8

Other reports:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/S8-Scratching-easily/td-p/93816

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...2-gorilla-glass-s8-scratches-very-easily.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/6b6ulp/is_it_just_me_or_is_the_s8_scratching/

I was one of the first few to mention it and was trying to warn everyone. The S8 indeed scratches easily and it's a fact. Some refuse to believe it and it's okay, they will get a scratch eventually or already has but overlooking it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You seem to be missing my point so I will lay it out better.

You're allow to post that you think it scratches easily -- That isn't an issue. You're allowed to have your opinion and always will be allowed to have it.

The issue is calling people biased for saying theirs isn't scratched. That is pretty much insinuating that they're lying. That is the part that isn't cool... so please refrain from doing that.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
You seem to be missing my point so I will lay it out better.

You're allow to post that you think it scratches easily -- That isn't an issue. You're allowed to have your opinion and always will be allowed to have it.

The issue is calling people biased for saying theirs isn't scratched. That is pretty much insinuating that they're lying. That is the part that isn't cool... so please refrain from doing that.

I hope that makes it clearer.

I agree. I think we already know these phones are more prone to scratches (at least the outer coating does) and damage and are fragile in some situations (And really didn't need anyone to tell us that).

But my phone is free from scratches in every light, and I think people should know that as well.

Saying people you don't know are all bias because their experience is different from what you know, just means you want to control the narrative, and don't want anyone going against it.

Last edited:

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The might just be scratches in the oleophobic coating. One way to tell is if they mostly disappear when you buff them with a cloth. They come back when you touch the screen though.

Very correct. It's the coating. Not the glass. When you wipe the screen they go away until you touch it again with oily fingers. Rest assured, your screens are fine.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I think we already know these phones are more prone to scratches (at least the outer coating does) and damage and are fragile in some situations (And really didn't need anyone to tell us that).

But my phone is free from scratches in every light, and I think people should know that as well.

Saying people you don't know are all bias because their experience is different from what you know, just means you want to control the narrative, and don't want anyone going against it.

Just saying. SOME owners say the S8 is perfect. The fingerprint scanner placement is perfect, Bixby button doesn't bother them, curved screen doesn't bother them, shape of phone is fine, no scratches on screen at all. Maybe it's true, but you have to admit, some people can be biased because they own the phone and don't want anyone talking bad about it. However SOME are coming out and complaining about these issues and it's important to talk about it so there could be improvements in the future. If a number of owners complain about it, then maybe Samsung R&D will own up and look into it and make improvements.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Very correct. It's the coating. Not the glass. When you wipe the screen they go away until you touch it again with oily fingers. Rest assured, your screens are fine.

You probably don't want to try to buff it out, it's going to look terrible. It's like trying to remove scratches from a PS3 glossy plastic.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Just saying. SOME owners say the S8 is perfect. The fingerprint scanner placement is perfect, Bixby button doesn't bother them, curved screen doesn't bother them, shape of phone is fine, no scratches on screen at all. Maybe it's true, but you have to admit, some people can be biased because they own the phone and don't want anyone talking bad about it.

Okay. That's sounds better. But owners of any phone may react that way. Try going to the G6 forum and saying anything about that phone other than glowing praise lol

But I've also never owned a phone where everyone's experience is the same...ever.

So making blanket statements is probably not the best thing to do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But I've also never owned a phone where everyone's experience is the same...ever.

So making blanket statements is probably not the best thing to do.

This .. 1000%. We all don't do the same things everyday and we all handle phones differently. Some people baby them more whereas others are more rough. Some are caseless and some throw on a bulky Otterbox defender just to protect it.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
This .. 1000%. We all don't do the same things everyday and we all handle phones differently. Some people baby them more whereas others are more rough. Some are caseless and some throw on a bulky Otterbox defender just to protect it.

And sometimes, people may simply get a bum phone, especially if you're an early adopter. It's happened to me. My G4 screen came with a tiny crack in the upper corner that I didn't even notice until days later.So all it took was a drop from my bed to the carpet, and it started to shatter.

If I had freaked out, gone online to warn people about weak G4 screens and got defensive when other people said theirs was fine, it would be a huge misrepresentation on my part.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
OK I'm not using any protection for the face but my S8 plus seems to easily pick up little hairline scratches. Only notice them in sun but annoying nonetheless. I had no such thing with my LGG4 in two years of use.
Same. I haven't mishandled or dropped the phone (yet) and I've got a couple of scratches. It's really only noticable when the screen is off, but still. No clue how it's happening.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Same. I haven't mishandled or dropped the phone (yet) and I've got a couple of scratches. It's really only noticable when the screen is off, but still. No clue how it's happening.

Tiny paticles that you can't even see come in contact with your phone every day. There is a protective layer over your glass screen, so get a good "smartphone approved" glass cleaner and give your phone a good cleaning.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
No scratches under any type of lighting. Will it scratch? Sure under the right circumstances. Will they all scratch? Nope. Am I concerned about it? Not in the least. I'll be done with this phone due to either the Note 8, LG V30 or S8 Active. Based on how careless Ive been with mine lately, I dont think its as big as a problem as some would lead you to believe.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I've started to notice the back scratches... screen is fine but when I pulled the phone out of a mophie case to clean it I had a few back scratches 😣

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've started to notice the back scratches... screen is fine but when I pulled the phone out of a mophie case to clean it I had a few back scratches 😣
That's why I use a back skin on mine. Plus it looks good. I also picked up a new screen protector for my S8 yesterday as I'm not taking any chances on scratches. I found a good one at Walmart by ONN and I ended up getting it for 4.87. Fits perfectly. It's a liquid skin type as I don't like the tempered glass for the S8. The regular price on this protector is 9.99. Its actually got curved edges already so it fits like glove. I highly recommend it. That is if you are going to use a screen protector. I for one definitely do as I'm not taking any chances on my screen.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Having sifted through this forum and others concerning this topic my conclusion is that Samsung must have used substandard Gorilla Glass on some production runs. It would be interesting to gather the manufacturing dates on the phones with scratches and see if there is any date correlation.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
no screen protector, dbrand skin on the back, 🦏 shield on the phone. no scratches at all and I've had the phone one day after release. My left front pocket is exclusive to my phone nothing else goes in it, ever.