I've noticed that on almost every app on my Galaxy S8+ that shows images (Instagram, Twitter, even the Google Play Store) shows the pictures in a low quality/ pixelated state. However, they look normal in my gallery and Google photos, and when I go to the chrome version if Instagram they show up fine. They also appear fine when I view them from a different kind of phone. Why do photos appear pixelated in my apps on my Galaxy S8+, and is there any way to fix it? Thanks.
    08-14-2017 08:54 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34311
    08-15-2017 01:57 PM
    I wiped the cache partition, however it didn't help with the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    08-15-2017 04:11 PM
    What's the resolution on your phone set at maybe it's too high for the apps?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-15-2017 04:15 PM
    What's the resolution on your phone set at maybe it's too high for the apps?
    Pixelation comes from resolution that's too low, not too high. If a photo has lower resolution than the screen, it should still display about the same as it would if the screen were set to the picture's lower resolution.
    08-16-2017 06:22 AM
    Social media apps will typically reduce the size and quality of any image posted. You're just not going to see full-resolution pix in an Instagram post.

But it does sound odd that they appear better on other phones. Maybe the other phone's screen resolution is less than the S8's, so the pixelation isn't noticeable?
    tube517 and SDTRMG like this.
    08-16-2017 11:32 AM
    Pixelation comes from resolution that's too low, not too high. If a photo has lower resolution than the screen, it should still display about the same as it would if the screen were set to the picture's lower resolution.
    I can see how this might happen, though. If the screen's resolution is set really high, the system may still try to display a low-res image (like a thumbnail) so that it's still the same size as other images -- but if the resolution of the screen is really high, that means the low-res image will look more pixelated, since it's essentially blowing up that image to the proper size. It's like trying to watch an SD (480p) video full screen on a 1080p (or worse yet, 4K) screen -- it'll look blocky.
    08-16-2017 09:56 PM
    I can see how this might happen, though. If the screen's resolution is set really high, the system may still try to display a low-res image (like a thumbnail) so that it's still the same size as other images -- but if the resolution of the screen is really high, that means the low-res image will look more pixelated, since it's essentially blowing up that image to the proper size. It's like trying to watch an SD (480p) video full screen on a 1080p (or worse yet, 4K) screen -- it'll look blocky.
    If a small low-res image is displayed on a large screen, it'll look blocky regardless of what resolution the screen is set to. So the only way the screen's resolution would matter is if (as you suggest) the higher resolution makes the phone decide to make the image physically larger. But there's no reason for that--a higher screen resolution should either have no effect on the image size, or if anything should make the image size smaller, not larger.
    08-17-2017 06:06 AM
    Hey! I don't know if you still have this problem but I was going through the same thing and finally somewhat fixed it.
    Here's the solution:

- Go to Settings
    - Go to Apps
    - On the top right corner, press the button with the 3 dots
    - Go to special access>optimize battery usage>press apps not optimized and switch to all apps
    - Find all the apps with the low resolution problem and switch it off

It doesn't fix it completely but it makes a huge difference, also, I turn off app power monitor in settings>device maintenance just in case. Hope this helps a bit!

edit** I have a s6 so I don't know if the settings are any different in s8+ but I hope you get the idea
    09-15-2017 03:22 AM
    Hello!

I have a Samsung Note 8 and I had the same problem, but I fixed it. I am not sure if the set up works the same for all Samsung Galaxy cellphones.

Here's what I did

Go to your Messages Settings.
    Under Settings go to Chat Settings
    Chat Setting you'll see Image Size
    Under Image Size you'll have five selections.

Best available
    Original
    Large 50 percent
    Medium 20 percent
    Small 10 percent

I picked Original. But you can choose the size of your choice.

Under Multimedia Limit you'll have 2 choices.

Automatically accept all
    Automatically accept files less than 9765 MB in size.
    I chose Automatically accept all

Good luck! 😊

Marie
    11-29-2017 11:20 AM
    I've got this same problem here on a Galaxy S8+, but none of what you guys did worked for me. Does anyone have another solution? I'm really disappointed.
    01-13-2018 10:40 AM
    if this has to do with things like snapchat, instagram storeys, etc. it's the apps and not the phone, on android those companies decided to take a screenshot of the photo instead of uploading the photo, this reduces the quality. people on ios don't have this problem.
    01-13-2018 03:06 PM
    Unfortunately, not with the quality of pictures taken with our devices, that actually seems normal to me. What we say is that every internet loaded image, both our friend stories and feed looks awful. I've noticed that is also happens on album artworks on Spotify, app icons inside the Play Store and images from Twitter. Sad, sad, sad.
    01-13-2018 04:37 PM