Galaxy S8 spying on me through photos?

A

AC Question

I took a photo of a friend of mine in a Packers t-shirt. An hour later, I get an email "Hey Packer fans!" I take a picture of my daughter without her braces outside a dental office and I get offers on dental insurance. What is going on?

Is there a setting I can turn off to keep some privacy?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I took a photo of a friend of mine in a Packers t-shirt. An hour later, I get an email "Hey Packer fans!" I take a picture of my daughter without her braces outside a dental office and I get offers on dental insurance. What is going on?

Are they being saved to Google Photos?

Atomic Belly Lint

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
Oddly, two emails came from Playstation and had a large "P" next to them. I don't have a playstation. The Packer ad also had the same P next to it (indicating who sent it) but it was from Packer Backers.

Atomic Belly Lint

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
Not that I can tell. Just switched from Iphone and still learning "android." Not regretting the decision to switch in any way. I've had it for a week and am pretty used to it, just can't find all the settings and HATE the bloatware and carrier hijacking of the voicemail app.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

Go to you apps permissions page and check all the apps that has storage permission and camera permission. Try to disable them for apps you don't really use.
54a549ed5194964e599db7cba6230c38.jpg

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
FWIW I've never had this happen to me. I do get ads shown to me on Facebook after doing a Google search for something, but that has more to do with Google and Facebook, and less to do with my phone. If you're getting email marketing, it's very hard for me to understand how the data could have been extracted from your phone's photo gallery and propagated to whatever marketing service is doing this. Not saying it's impossible, just a little beyond what I understand to be most tech companies' current marketing ability.

Maybe try turning off your Gallery's image analysis feature (that's the feature which classifies your pictures as, e.g. "food," "wildlife," etc.). Then see if you get fewer marketing emails. And what others have said about disabling app permissions is also good advice.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
There is a location service setting to turn off, I used to get the same thing, would walk in a grocery store and get a notification for add a picture or something, I don't remember what I changed, I think it was the Mod here that gave me direction.

Atomic Belly Lint

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all! As I said, I switched from iPhone and say what you want about iPhone, but the one thing I miss is their refusal to alter the functions of their phone for carriers. The native voicemail app is disabled so I have to pay Sprint for voicemail (all the carriers do it). They do have a free version, but they serve ads on it. WTF. I bought the phone from Samsung and already pay for service, so what gives them the right to disable functions and hold them for ransom?

Anyway, that and Samsung Pay popping up while I'm in a store to tell me I can use the app in "store's name" has made me suspicious of what could be coincidental junk mail. But still, how random is Packer Backer sending me an email within 30 minutes of a photo?

I'll check all my settings. Thank you all for your help.

Wow. I feel better.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all! As I said, I switched from iPhone and say what you want about iPhone, but the one thing I miss is their refusal to alter the functions of their phone for carriers. The native voicemail app is disabled so I have to pay Sprint for voicemail (all the carriers do it). They do have a free version, but they serve ads on it. WTF. I bought the phone from Samsung and already pay for service, so what gives them the right to disable functions and hold them for ransom?

Anyway, that and Samsung Pay popping up while I'm in a store to tell me I can use the app in "store's name" has made me suspicious of what could be coincidental junk mail. But still, how random is Packer Backer sending me an email within 30 minutes of a photo?

I'll check all my settings. Thank you all for your help.

Wow. I feel better.
i suggest Google voice for your voicemail. It's free and easy to set up. No ads and is cross platform, use it anywhere. I use it and it's great.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site

This has been a helpful thread to read. Thanks for the discussion. I haven't noticed any such issues on my phone, but I felt compelled to add one comment to the discussion based on the initial question:

Go Pack!

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
gj cluttering the thread with fud and generic solutions for a problem that hasn't been confirmed. Still waiting on op, need to find out where these packer emails came from. Rarely does malware from an app lead directly to an email In fact it is kind of unheard of. Web ad's tailored via cookies and IP locations, or actual popups from the infected application itself, but not through your email box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith