I reserved the Essential - ready to ship - but... I'm on the fence... Thoughts?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for the Essential phone a while back. In the mean time, I got this S8+. I got an email saying I can buy the Essential now.

The little geek on my left shoulder is saying... "buy it"

The self-control fairy on my right shoulder is saying... "hold out, hold out"

They have a decent 15-day return policy. Looking at it now though, I'm not sure I want it. I'm not sure I want to take the risk either.

Any thoughts?

kalpit18

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for the Essential phone a while back. In the mean time, I got this S8+. I got an email saying I can buy the Essential now.

The little geek on my left shoulder is saying... "buy it"

The self-control fairy on my right shoulder is saying... "hold out, hold out"

They have a decent 15-day return policy. Looking at it now though, I'm not sure I want it. I'm not sure I want to take the risk either.

Any thoughts?
Essential phone could be a hit or miss but s8+ for sure is a good phone. Wait for the next generation of essential phone and see how this one performs until then.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Buy it..I bought the black moon version and ready to move on to the new flagships. Selling my S8 and U11, done with them and ready for fall flagships.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree the S8+ is awesome. But whatever works best for you. I just don't think the Essential can measure up

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Wait for it,...wait for it,......the thing that will separate the Essential from the rest is durability and the connector system. Today the Essential might be on par with the S8 but once we start getting hardware made specifically for the essential that will be the game changer in my opinion

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They just don't have a track record yet for me to take the dive. I want to but with the Pixel 2 being so close I am most likely just going to wait for that.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in same boat and pulled the trigger. Ready to try something new and the essential looks awesome. If they can indeed update it at the rate one would expect with stock Android I might abandon Samsung. Then again note 8..... Damn I have a problem

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the email, but I just couldn't do it! Just got an S8 and a Pixel XL (Pixel via trade) and I'm gonna hold for other phones, Pixel 2? V30? Mate 10? So much is coming!

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I agree the S8+ is awesome. But whatever works best for you. I just don't think the Essential can measure up

It can measure up in different ways for different users.
Many phones can.
If the s8 is a better choice for you, great.
It just isn't for everyone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I view the essential as a downgrade.

You will be moving to a phone without an AMOLED display and smaller battery, I expect lower battery life.
You give up wireless charging.
You give up a headphone jack.
You give up water/dust resistance.
You give up Bixby(may honestly not matter)
You give up expandable storage.

You get the same SOC and RAM.
You get more internal storage.

Then there is the different software on it, and different physical design, both of which are preference and can be changed with a different case or phone launcher anyway.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I decided no. Came close. I also just watched a first look review. I have my eye on the V30 or Pixel 2.

I hate to say it but I don't think the Essential will take off. I love the idea of a new player but it seems like it can't be done. Has any phone been successful at this in the past 5 years? The OnePlus doesn't seem to be very popular, especially this last one. Remember the Robin? Even the Pixel isn't a massive seller.

It does look like you can be popular in China and move into the U.S. market. Huawei is making its way in slowly. It can withstand the slow growth because it has its sales all over the world to bolster the company. Essential does not. Essential has plans for a docking station and more add-ons but I have a feeling that will never materialize.

Feel free to correct me though.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I decided no. Came close. I also just watched a first look review. I have my eye on the V30 or Pixel 2.

I hate to say it but I don't think the Essential will take off. I love the idea of a new player but it seems like it can't be done. Has any phone been successful at this in the past 5 years? The OnePlus doesn't seem to be very popular, especially this last one. Remember the Robin? Even the Pixel isn't a massive seller.

It does look like you can be popular in China and move into the U.S. market. Huawei is making its way in slowly. It can withstand the slow growth because it has its sales all over the world to bolster the company. Essential does not. Essential has plans for a docking station and more add-ons but I have a feeling that will never materialize.

Feel free to correct me though.
Almost everyone loved the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, they were almost out of stock for months after their pre orders went live. But you are probably right about the Essential, it's just not what every user Essentially needs.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Almost everyone loved the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, they were almost out of stock for months after their pre orders went live. But you are probably right about the Essential, it's just not what every user Essentially needs.

Good one. "Essentially needs"

All the initial reviews are not raving about it like the Pixel. The one thing I find most appealing, more so than the screen itself, is the materials. I like the durability factor. Not enough to buy it though.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Good one. "Essentially needs"

All the initial reviews are not raving about it like the Pixel. The one thing I find most appealing, more so than the screen itself, is the materials. I like the durability factor. Not enough to buy it though.
Thanks for noticing the joke 😀. Yes, the titanium is quite appealing to me, but that's about it, no waterproofing, no headphone jack, and no AMOLED are a deal breaker for me personally.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Way too many exciting phones coming out soon to take a chance on the Essential phone. I'll wait for Note 8, iPhone 8, Pixel XL 2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek