Google Backup Disabled by Admin? Check yours

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: backup to google drive disabled by your admin

Welcome to Android Central. Have you gone online and made sure your S8 is shown as an Active device on your Google account? Are you properly signed in to Google on your phone? Can you access Drive from your phone?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

ameneses54

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, it's yes to all your concerns and question. I even have the message in the Google drive app that my phone has not been backed up!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Where are you seeing this error message, and what's the exact wording?

Go to Settings>Security​, and tap Clear Credentials.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This is already being discussed here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=826442&p=5928411&viewfull=1#post5928411

FWIW, I have the same backup disabled message, yet when I check in Google Drive > Backups, I see that backups are indeed being made.

Edit: This is not specific to the S8/S8+. There is also a thread at CrackBerry, where the same is happening to some with KEYone's. I suspect it's an Android N thing.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing on my S8 plus. My note 8 will arrive soon and i plan on setting it up as a clean fresh new phone (no smart switch) so it will be interesting to see what shows on the new phone (after signing into my google accounts)

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue with the new Essential phone that I received. It is the unlocked version from Essential. There should be no reason for it. I have a Pixel XL as well and, when I set it up initially, all of my apps and wifi info was installed with no issues at all from the 6P I had prior. That didn't happen when I set up the Essential. I just had my contacts and the bare bones apps. Nothing else would auto-install.

glenikins

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site

Same problem here with my S7 Edge. Only just noticed. I tried turning off "Back up my data" to Google and back on again, and thought it had worked but a few seconds later the "Google account" entry re-appeared with the greyed out "Back up to Google Drive - Disabled by your admin" behind it. There's a little info button to click but that does nothing.

I did have a corporate e-mail account set up in my e-mail client on the phone and wondered if that was the reason. I've deleted that too and re-started the phone. Still no luck.

anon(485744)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am also having the issue. I have no interest having my data on the Samsung servers. Samsung is a South Korean company. I have no idea where they are storing my data, how the are protecting it, and what is the fair use policy governing my backup. Google already knows more about me than I do. Having my phone content backed up to their servers is not adding much.

Since I can't disable or uninstall a certain set of Samsung supplied apps, I have done what I could to render them harmless by withdrawing permission of them to modify or access anything. I just hope that flipping those switches does exactly what they are supposed to.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's the same on my US unlocked S8+ and exactly the same on my T-Mobile Note 8. I think this might be normal if you are using Samsung backup? Not sure though but someone suggested that somewhere else that I was reading up on.

thurask

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I had to set up a new S8+ today for someone, and out of the box this issue came up.

What I did that might have resolved it was to update Google Play Services. The version on the device before updating manually was 11.5.09. I used this APK, the latest stable version 11.5.17: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...s-11-5-17-440-169142033-android-apk-download/

After installing that and toggling the Cloud and Accounts > Backup and Restore > Google Account > Back up my data switch it seems to work now.

My personal S8+ is on the beta version of Play Services (11.7.30) and it has the same effect. My latest backup in the Drive app is from about ten minutes ago, so I think it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21