When do you think Galaxy S8/S8+ will get Android Oreo?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
We always get the story of "faster updates" but it never happens. Probably get it early next year if not my December.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
This is probably my last chance for Samsung as the cutting edge hardware and out out of date software combo is getting a little old. Let's not forget the S8 did not even ship with the latest version of nougat at the time and is still stuck on 7.0!

LG are no better and the noises re the V30 and Oreo are not positive either, so I am not samsung bashing here.

Google have (apparently) tried to make this easier so if it does not land till spring 18 that will it for me. This could be the year I switch to the pixel or back to iOS.

tuckertje01

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Frankly I couldn't care less. My phone is in perfect working order, battery gets me through a whole day and then some. Hence I'm not in a hurry for a firmware update...

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
There is one huge thing I am looking forward to, LDAC support. I have a pair of sony headphones ready to take advantage of it. Can't wait.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking Jan/Feb time frame depending on device. For the record, Samsung is not the last to send out OS updates. For WiFi only devices it rolls out updates by device and region, so some devices will get it before others. For LTE devices, the carriers have a say in the matter, since they own their respective networks. Carriers are really only worried about network security and performance. If the update negatively affects either of those, then the network in question will not release the update until the fixes are made.

fminusfminus

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a XL with Oreo, and even though the phone was almost a year old, after the update the phone ran A LOT faster. Much faster than my brand new note 8. I could care less about the new features

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I too would have liked to have seen 7.1 ship on S8+ now that the Note does.

In the past I thought, oh Apple is good at updates. But then they are always buggy too - never touch the dot zero - it's always been the last update that cleans the mess up.

iOS 11 has had four updates in as many weeks. And Apple closed access to 10.3 if you want to downgrade.

Grass in the other pasture is always greener.

TennisGuy45

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm a recent Windows Phone convert.

We were spoiled on Windows as you could opt in to the "Insider" Program and choose if you wanted to take part in alphas, betas, and pre-release.

Heck I was getting updates monthly.

Is the lack of updates from these phone manufacturers their way of imposing "forced obsolescence" to get people to upgrade more often?

I dont like the Pixel hardware as much as the Galaxy line but if Samsung screws us just to get more frequent upgrades then next year I'll move over to a Pixel device.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If the trend of Feb/March does continue then I think I'm done too. Thing is the others are no better so that just leaves the pixel or jumping over to iOS.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
SamMobile reported recently that Samsung might start the Oreo beta program on 10/31. Last year's beta program lasted until December and Nougat rolled out end of December/early January for international variants of the S7 series.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
The holes in XP could never fully be patched and secured. The way Oreo 8.1 is built from the ground up will be more hardened.

the next OS update for S8 series will be 8.0 or likely 8.1, not 7.1+

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze