General question about Security on Android phones

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I am fairly new to Android (switched from iPhone in Oct 2016) so I admit this is kind of a newbie question. I now have an s8, and I'm wondering about the general approach to phone security. On iPhone I used Find my iPhone to locate it if it was lost and for other general security things, etc. Should I be using an app like ESET mobile security (or another one) to protect my phone from viruses, hacks, in case of theft, etc.? Or does everyone just use Google passwords, lock screen etc., and trust the carrier and software security updates?

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
These replies and links are helpful, especially with regard to finding a lost phone. Are most content with Samsung/Google security against viruses, hacking, etc.?

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I personally never use anti virus on phones, Samsung does have a built in scanner under device maintenance. Google releases security updates every month, but it's up to the phone manufacturer and carrier to release it. Unfortunately not all companies push them out that frequently, Google, BlackBerry and a few others are good at the monthly updates. Things are only as secure as you make it, strong passwords, turn on the device wipes after 15 failed password attempts and don't install apps from other sources (stick to play store and Samsung store. Staying away from sketchy websites is also a good idea. No platform is 100%, all you can do is help minimize the risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12