Waited on Note 8 before I decided to go with S8+

CTREV21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys!

Well after all the hype for the Note 8 I finally made a trip to the local Best Buy to really see which way I wanted to go.

I basically am running a Note 5 (2015) and also have an iPhone 6 laying around from upgrading my son this year.

After playing with the Note and S8+, I basically had to choose to make on my upgrade. Don't get me wrong, the Note 8 is an excellent phone but the cost difference for me just didn't justify the purchase at this time. Doesn't mean I won't have one down the road it just means I decided on a different approach.

Basically as much as I love the S Pen, at this point I only use it sparingly. Out of the 7 Android phones I've owned only 2 were Notes. (1 and 5). So it basically came down to a few things. Screen size was so close I took that out as 6.2 to 6.3 was minimal and yet bigger than my 5.7. Both have 64GB with SD Card. OS is a none issue. Virtually same screen specs. The 6 to 4 GB ram was something to think about but I haven't had any issues with my current Note 5 with too much lag on a two year old phone.

I almost always rock a clear to smoke case so color was important to me. Sorry to say black is not my color and the Orchid grey is just not to my liking. This probably helped me the most.

So my plan basically came to this: Purchased the S8+ in Coral Blue and trade in the iPhone 6 collecting dust. Keep my Note 5 as a backup for now. Either trade in Note 5 once new colors are introduced in 6 months or so or hold out for the Note 9 and then trade in the G8+ and sell my Note 5 outright or keep the G8+ as spare and trade in the Note 5 for the S9+ or Note 9 next year.

Either way I think I have a strong plan which was easy with the Samsung zero percent finance plan for 24 month even though I'll have it paid off in less than 6 months.

Looking forward to getting all set up by next weeks end!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
It seems you've done your homework before choosing :)

When choosing the s8 or s8+ I looked at similar specs to you.

The size of the s8+ was too big and didn't bring that much to the table apart from a slightly larger battery. The s8 hit the sweet spot for me.

I've not owned a Note series phone so I recently visited my Samsung Experience Store with an open mind to use the working Note 8 demo model.

Basically I feel samsung played a little safe with this with it being a re badged s8+ with s pen and improved camera set up.

For me it's just too big but I understand why it's as such.

I buy my phones sim free and unbranded and the cost of just under £870 - $1123 is a little heavy imo.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Mo' battery and less price for very similar devices. If you don't need the pen, the camera lens alone does not seem worthy enough to spend more for less battery. JMO.

Not expecting too many to jump from the 8+, or if people compare the two devices and choose the 8+ due to less cost and more battery.

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
that makes me feel better. thanks.
i had to get a new phone 6 weeks, or so, ago and got the s8+. TWO of them as it turned out.
I was holding out for the note 8 or maybe even the pixel xl2.
I had the first 3 notes. when the 4 came out, I figured I'd skip it, and wait for the 5. then the note 5 had no removable battery and no micro SD card. so I got a Motorola - - I won't do it again.
I think the s8+ is going to carry us for 2 years. I may have replace the battery as it ages. that and general sluggishness was why I killed the mxpe... I officially hate moto

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
That's why I am keeping my s8 vs the note I don't use the spen and the camera isn't a big deal breaker for me either. You're getting 95% of the note with a great deal.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not an that impressed with the Note 8. I feel like Samsung shot their load with the s8 due to the note 7 issues. They came out with a fully loaded phone and really didn't hold anything back for the note. And it has a smaller battery. That's a huge deal.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
that makes me feel better. thanks.
i had to get a new phone 6 weeks, or so, ago and got the s8+. TWO of them as it turned out.
I was holding out for the note 8 or maybe even the pixel xl2.
I had the first 3 notes. when the 4 came out, I figured I'd skip it, and wait for the 5. then the note 5 had no removable battery and no micro SD card. so I got a Motorola - - I won't do it again.
I think the s8+ is going to carry us for 2 years. I may have replace the battery as it ages. that and general sluggishness was why I killed the mxpe... I officially hate moto
I had the MXPE as well. Hot running, battery draining mess with anything using the gpu, but the stereo speakers were nice.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I cannot justify the Note 8; mainly because I rarely used the SCPen in my last Note handsets and also I just don't think it's enough of an 'upgrade' from an S8+

Like my British counterpart @bandofbrothers2112, costs over here in the UK can be daft and c£900 for a mobile phone is just outright daft now IMO

I have x2 business SIM only contracts with Three and the last time I bought a phone via a contract was 2010 and it was a Note 3 or 4 (IIRC) via O2 and it was a waste of £££ TBH

The S8 / S8+ and Note 8 releases are too close for me as well, doesn't leave enough time for the honeymoon period of the aforementioned handsets to wear off and for the Note 8 to have that wow factor!

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
The high price of the Note 8 and the low price of the S8 these days makes it really a difficult sell unless you need the S Pen or the dual camera. Or if you just are a fan of the Note series.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The note 8 is expensive right now and I'm sure only those who really used the note line will get it. If you have an s8 or s8+ it really makes no sense to venture into the note 8.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Just left Best buy and after holding the Note 8 was underwhelmed. I'm glad too because I'm very impulsive and buy things I like right away. I am a huge note fan and I have gotten one on launch day since 2012. Am I the only I that hates the shape of it? It reminds me of a Sony Xperia. i prefer the design of the S8 +. never thought I would ever say that. I know the Note performance wise and feature wise is great but I couldn't get passed the reversion back to rectangular Xperia like feel.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Note always maintained rectangular profile and that makes it look professional and special. I loved it and pre-ordered one.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I am not an that impressed with the Note 8. I feel like Samsung shot their load with the s8 due to the note 7 issues. They came out with a fully loaded phone and really didn't hold anything back for the note. And it has a smaller battery. That's a huge deal.

I agree. If the Note 7 wasn't nixed I'm not so sure they would have came out with the S8 Plus, would have just stuck with S8 possibly. They needed a large screen model phone.

It does make me wonder how Note 8 sales will be affected with the cheaper S8 Plus as an alternative.

I pre-ordered the Note 8 because I have a mint condition S7 Edge for the trade in program. I want the SPEN!!!!

I said I wouldn't but I just couldn't resist it! I need the spen!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I am a huge fan of Note. Was planning to preorder on day one but here I am sitting with S8 Plus finding it very hard to pay up to $1000 after taxes in the US and dump a perfectly perfect S8 Plus phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I am a huge fan of Note. Was planning to preorder on day one but here I am sitting with S8 Plus finding it very hard to pay up to $1000 after taxes in the US and dump a perfectly perfect S8 Plus phone.

I know. I said the same thing too. This stuff is like crack though!