I'm an AT&T customer but am considering purchasing an unlocked Galaxy S8. In the past I've always gone the way of the carrier Androids because of the lack of updates on the unlocked versions. My friends with AT&T S8s have been getting fairly regular updates. How about those with the factory unlocked S8s? How have those updates been rolling out? The price on the unlocked S8 looks great too! $574.99 at Best Buy.
    08-25-2017 02:57 PM
    i bought an unlocked S8 about a month ago at Best Buy. Right now my phone is on the July 1 2017 android patch. I don't know what the latest carrier patch is, but I imagine that the unlocked will get them a lot slower.
    badcat likes this.
    08-25-2017 03:09 PM
    I'm an AT&T customer but am considering purchasing an unlocked Galaxy S8. In the past I've always gone the way of the carrier Androids because of the lack of updates on the unlocked versions. My friends with AT&T S8s have been getting fairly regular updates. How about those with the factory unlocked S8s? How have those updates been rolling out? The price on the unlocked S8 looks great too! $574.99 at Best Buy.
    I am also on the July patch. I got the June patch the same day I recieved the phone. So far the patches have been running about 4 or 5 weeks behind the release date. We'll see if Samsung can keep that up. If they can maintain that update schedule I'll be ok with it. I'm still waiting on the August patch.
    08-25-2017 03:16 PM
    I've been happy with my unlocked S8+, running on the Rogers network. So far, I've been getting the monthly patches about a week after my Priv. I received the August update about a week ago.
    08-25-2017 04:42 PM
    I have my S8 since about 3 months (got it unlocked from best buy)

I haven't gotten any updates besides the july patch and the hide buttons update

still waiting for the august security patch and i'm not even waiting for 7.1x because of prior experience with the S6 I predict they'll skip straight to 8.0 in late feb
    08-25-2017 06:07 PM
    I have an unlocked Galaxy S8 (Dual Sim version) and I got the August update on like the 10th of August)
    08-25-2017 08:28 PM
    Unbranded s8 bought from Samsung.

On 1st July 2017 security Patch.

In the U.K Networks are sent the Android updates first for testing before being signed off and then Samsung can push it out to Network supplied branded phones so historically this has delayed updates.

Those with Unbranded phones can get updates faster as there's no involvement via the Network.
    08-26-2017 12:51 AM
    On July patch on my unlocked S8. Guess on the US, the unlocked version gets the update last!!! Might be some deal with the carriers.

Should ideally be the other way round. But I bought a Samsung fully expecting not to get any updates. Coming from a Nexus, this feels weird, but it's what it is
    08-26-2017 01:54 AM
    Bought unbranded in Canada from Samsung and carrier unlocked using the code included with my shipping notice. Security patch Aug 1. Build AQH1. I think I get updates soon as they are released to Canada. Seems like every couple weeks lately.
    08-26-2017 09:25 AM
    Does unlocked support WiFi calling on T-Mobile?
    08-26-2017 03:32 PM
    I'm about 95 percent sure it does. Samsung unlocked versions usually support Tmobile wifi calling. I'm not for certain but should be no different with the Note 8.

The unlocked s8 is supposed to get updates faster. If this continues with the Note 8 and s9 then I might purchase the unlocked Note 9 next year. I was going to go unlocked this time but figured I should sit back and see how it goes. Tmobile is good about updates.
    08-26-2017 08:21 PM

I can confirm WiFi calling definitely works with tmobile on the U.S. unlocked GS8/GS*+. I have been using WiFi calling on my U.S. unlocked GS8+ for a month now with no issues.

Also, to stay on topic, mine is on the July patch.
    cert15z and srgonu like this.
    08-26-2017 09:38 PM