Since I've had the s8+, every time I update any apps, which are usually several at once, this phone is almost unusable! Pretty ridiculous for a phone packing this kind of hardware, and I'm getting completely fed up with it! Not to mention the other delays and jitters, like the eternity it takes to switch a YouTube video from portrait to landscape. This crap just shouldn't ever happen on this phone with this hardware.

Anyone else have this issue and figure out a cure? Because I sometimes feel like I want to smash this phone into thousands of tiny pieces. Thanks.
    08-31-2017 10:16 AM
    None of those issues on my phone. Had 9 or 10 updates going okay night and still using the phone. No problems.
    tube517 likes this.
    08-31-2017 10:46 AM
    Yep, I have those same issues as the OP. I've just learned to deal with them. Or I just go back to using my iPhone 7 Plus for a while.
    08-31-2017 11:15 AM
    None of those issues on my phone. Had 9 or 10 updates going okay night and still using the phone. No problems.
    By any chance did you transfer everything when you first got the phone, or did you start totally fresh? I've been contemplating wiping clean and starting fresh, but it's such a hassle, and if it won't make much difference then I won't even bother. Also, are you using the snapdragon or exynos version?
    08-31-2017 01:30 PM
    S8 US unlocked snapdragon. Even though it is time consuming, I am a firm believer in factory reset when it come to phone performance not being up to par. If I feel the need for the reset, I do it as "starting new" without using a backup. Have you tried wiping cache partition? If that doesn't make a difference, bite the bullet and do a reset with clean install. Good luck. Just remember that after you do the reset and reinstall all of your apps, etc, it may take a day or 2 for the battery to settle down. There's a lot of background stuff going on sometime.
    It's a great phone and I hope you get a resolution to your issues. Let us know, OK?
    08-31-2017 09:38 PM
    S8 US unlocked snapdragon. Even though it is time consuming, I am a firm believer in factory reset when it come to phone performance not being up to par. If I feel the need for the reset, I do it as "starting new" without using a backup. Have you tried wiping cache partition? If that doesn't make a difference, bite the bullet and do a reset with clean install. Good luck. Just remember that after you do the reset and reinstall all of your apps, etc, it may take a day or 2 for the battery to settle down. There's a lot of background stuff going on sometime.
    It's a great phone and I hope you get a resolution to your issues. Let us know, OK?
    Yea I have wiped the cache files via recovery a few times. No help. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. Bummer. I'll come back and let you all know how it goes, after I get a chance to do it and let things settle in. I was really hoping to avoid this, but I think it's unavoidable now. Spent too much money on this phone to allow myself to deal with this.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    09-01-2017 01:01 AM
    I transferred everything from my note 5. It's the snapdragon.
    09-01-2017 04:41 AM
    I transferred everything from my note 5. It's the snapdragon.
    Transferred via smartswitch or copy paste/drag and drop via computer and just let Google install your apps after initial setup?
    09-01-2017 05:55 AM
    Transferred via smartswitch or copy paste/drag and drop via computer and just let Google install your apps after initial setup?
    I used the included adapter that came with the s8+
    09-01-2017 06:40 AM
    I used the included adapter that came with the s8+
    That's what I did too. Maybe I transferred something over that's just not playing nice with certain things on my phone. Idk. Thanks anyway.
    09-01-2017 07:25 AM
    No such problems. Anyways, now my apps only update overnight when I'm sleeping. Maybe that's something you should also do. Nothing to gain from updating it while using the phone
    09-01-2017 09:35 AM
    No such problems. Anyways, now my apps only update overnight when I'm sleeping. Maybe that's something you should also do. Nothing to gain from updating it while using the phone
    I have mine set to update automatically and only on WiFi. Please explain how I can access this non-existent setting to set my apps to only update during the times I designate and maybe I'll consider that. Also the last part of your response makes exactly zero sense, but thanks for your input.

/s
    09-01-2017 12:58 PM
    I have mine set to update automatically and only on WiFi. Please explain how I can access this non-existent setting to set my apps to only update during the times I designate and maybe I'll consider that. Also the last part of your response makes exactly zero sense, but thanks for your input.

/s
    You're correct in that there is no setting in Playstore to set a specific time for app updates.
    I disable auto-update and have just gotten in the habit of checking for updates before I go to bed and downloading then.
    Mine update pretty quickly on Wi-Fi , though, so I'm lucky in that respect.
    09-01-2017 06:49 PM

/s
    Here's my screenshot. The apps wait even though theybhave an update pending and I'm almost always connected to WiFi. The lower ones which got updated were done manually by me when I got notified of updates. The remaining ones are waiting.

I thought it was some setting, but apparently there are none. Fortunately for me, I always see them updated when I wake up next morning. Never had an update running in daytime automatically.

Maybe a bug which works out great for me
    Attached Thumbnails Slows to a crawl while updating apps!-2437.jpg  
    09-01-2017 07:58 PM
    Same here, phone is really slow while updating but this has been the same with every Samsung I've had
    09-02-2017 07:21 AM
    Same here, phone is really slow while updating but this has been the same with every Samsung I've had
    How about the YouTube issue, do you also have a bad delay when switching the orientation of the video you're watching? It's not the biggest issue ever, but I find things like this happening absurd with this level of hardware.
    09-02-2017 04:53 PM