After numerous embarrassing moments of pocket dialing or pocket messaging, I tried to figure out what the heck is going on.

After some investigation, it seems to be stemming from AOD staying active, even when in a pocket. Notifications on the AOD can still be accessed which wakes up the phone, then the chaos begins. The movement in my pocket is sufficient to replicate double tapping the notifications.

To be sure, I covered the top half of the phone and the AOD screen will dim all the way down, but not shut off. Tried the same thing for the home screen and a couple other apps, same result.

Is this a bug or do I have some other setting overriding the function? I believe the sensor if fine because the screen will shut off immediately when covered during a phone call, and auto-brightness works fine.
    08-31-2017 11:52 AM
    I carry my S8+ in my shirt pocket and notice that there is sufficient light to keep AOD on unless I hold the phone against my shirt. Then it takes a few seconds for AOD to turn off. That being said, I've also had it do the same you're seeing, when I know it was shut down. I have turn off in pocket turned on. Don't see this all the time, but yeah, there is something that kicks it awake from time to time. Have no idea what though.
    08-31-2017 12:06 PM
    This sounds like a Smart Lock issue, not an AOD issue. Do you have Smart Lock "On-body detection" enabled? If so, disable it. What is happening is, if you enable, "On-body detection," your phone doesn't lock which can then lead to "butt dialing/messaging" problems.

Also, you can disable AOD always on function.

Go into your AOD settings, and turn off, "Show always." You can then set the time when AOD is on. Mine is from late evening to early morning.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-31-2017 06:13 PM
    This sounds like a Smart Lock issue, not an AOD issue. Do you have Smart Lock "On-body detection" enabled? If so, disable it. What is happening is, if you enable, "On-body detection," your phone doesn't lock which can then lead to "butt dialing/messaging" problems.

Also, you can disable AOD always on function.

Go into your AOD settings, and turn off, "Show always." You can then set the time when AOD is on. Mine is from late evening to early morning.
    I do not have on body detection turned on. Still, the problem is the screen isn't turning off in conditions where it should; it shouldn't matter if the phone is unlocked or not. Yes, turning off AOD will stop the pocket dialing from happening, but that's not a fix.

But if that's just how it works, so be it. I'm just trying to find out if the screen not turning off is a bug or not.
    09-01-2017 11:25 AM