Do I Need a Screen Protector if I Get a Galaxy S8 or S8+?

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have dropped my galaxy s8 with a case on it at least a dozen times. I am sure if something where to have come in direct contact with the actual screen it would have shattered but it hasn't cracked yet. I don't notice any scratches even though I know there are some light scratches on the screen. I have a screen protector I didn't like sitting there wanting to be used however I continue to go WITHOUT a screen protector. I would go with a case that has good coverage on the top and bottom edges and say that you can successfully use your s8 without a screen protector.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Unfortunately I'm not getting any clarity on this question. With some saying it scratched easily and others saying they are scratch-free I'm wondering if there is a problem with Gorilla Glass quality consistency?

I'm thinking if I get the S8+ I will not put on a screen protector.

Good choice. Don't waste your money. You don't need it. Just take care of your phone and don't put it in a pocket full of sand and you'll be fine.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
If it makes you feel safer putting on a screen protector, I say go for it. Get a basic Zagg one and a solid case like Supcase or Otterbox. Something with shock protection. I was actually advised against getting a tempered glass protector. My S7 Edge rocked a basic Zagg screen and a Supcase holster case and it suited me just fine. I basically have the same setup on my S8+ though the Zagg tends to peel a little on the corners when I snap on the case.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess since you are putting it in your front pocket, just keep your front pocket clean and you're good. But if you are like me who put the phone on a bag together with other items you'll need screen protector. Or at least a pouch where I put my phone before putting it inside my bag.
1f712da8ae77185fe2c4c69527681233.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Having sifted through this forum and others concerning this topic my conclusion is that Samsung must have used substandard Gorilla Glass on some production runs. It would be interesting to gather the manufacturing dates on the phones with scratches and see if there is any date correlation.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Having sifted through this forum and others concerning this topic my conclusion is that Samsung must have used substandard Gorilla Glass on some production runs. It would be interesting to gather the manufacturing dates on the phones with scratches and see if there is any date correlation.

It amazes me how everyone is so quick to blame the product vs taking the time to scrutinize their own handling of said product. "Substandard gorilla glass"...? What?? That logic makes no sense unless definitive proof if it being the case can be found and provided to all of us here in the forums with ZERO scratches since day one with this device. Otherwise, I'll be content with the knowledge and experience I have with how people mishandle their devices and are quick to blame the manufactures involved vs their own mistreatment of said device. God forbid anyone blames themselves for the damage. Amazing.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It amazes me how everyone is so quick to blame the product vs taking the time to scrutinize their own handling of said product. "Substandard gorilla glass"...? What?? That logic makes no sense

A batch of sub standard Gorilla Glass would explain those people that are handling their S8 the same way they've handled their previous phones yet are seeing scratches on their S8's after no scratches on their previous Galaxy phones. How else would you explain it?

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S8+ since April and I have no scratches. I tried various screen protectors but just didn't like them with the curved display. I do have the Qmadix liquid screen protector on my phone though. This was just to give me a slight piece of mind since this is my first time ever going without a screen protector of any kind whether plastic or tempered glass.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
A batch of sub standard Gorilla Glass would explain those people that are handling their S8 the same way they've handled their previous phones yet are seeing scratches on their S8's after no scratches on their previous Galaxy phones. How else would you explain it?

Ok then I'll believe that when the definitive proof of this mythical "substandard batch of gorilla glass" is provided. Until then, see my previous posts. I go by facts. No time for speculation.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a very touchy subject, hence the 3 or 4 previous threads. I got my s8 plus the day after release, and i have zero scratches. my front left pocket us designated for my phone, nothing else, not even a microfiber cloth. I'm very conscious of my posture i.e. I don't squat down suddenly without removing the phone from my pocket, and i never ever do the back pocket thing. I work part time at Wal-Mart, in electronics, and you would be amazed at how many people have totally destroyed their phones, simply from neglect. just take care of it and you should be fine.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
This is a very touchy subject, hence the 3 or 4 previous threads. I got my s8 plus the day after release, and i have zero scratches. my front left pocket us designated for my phone, nothing else, not even a microfiber cloth. I'm very conscious of my posture i.e. I don't squat down suddenly without removing the phone from my pocket, and i never ever do the back pocket thing. I work part time at Wal-Mart, in electronics, and you would be amazed at how many people have totally destroyed their phones, simply from neglect. just take care of it and you should be fine.

Exactamundo. Take care of it and you'll be fine. Treat it like crap and it'll look like crap. Simple stuff.

rpoli86

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I've already replaced my GS8+ twice. First time it fell out of my basketball shorts pocket, smashed on concrete. Screen was completely shattered. Next time I cracked the screen, it simply fell off a side table onto a hardwood floor, cracked the entire corner of where the front facing camera is.

Not very happy with the frailty of this phone. Spent $400 already replacing them. Only good thing is now I have 2 extra chargers and headphones lmao

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I've already replaced my GS8+ twice. First time it fell out of my basketball shorts pocket, smashed on concrete. Screen was completely shattered. Next time I cracked the screen, it simply fell off a side table onto a hardwood floor, cracked the entire corner of where the front facing camera is.

Not very happy with the frailty of this phone. Spent $400 already replacing them. Only good thing is now I have 2 extra chargers and headphones lmao

"Frailty"? You dropped an all glass phone on concrete and hardwood lol what do you expect to happen?

lkshields6

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
YES!!! I bought my S8 on 7/29, no screen protector and a minimal case. On 9/2 I dropped the phone- it was in my lap while getting out of the car and it hit the parking lot pretty hard- not surprised the screen pretty much shattered. Thank god I paid for Geek Squad- because the model is so new, I didn't have to pay the co-pay. With new phone in hand, I bought a screen protector and had it installed at Best Buy, but kept the minimal case. Less than a week later, I dropped the phone from about waist high onto a smooth stone floor. Even with the screen protector on, the corner shattered. Now, these are both clearly my fault, however I've had probably close to a dozen different smart phones, including the S7 edge with the same curved screen, and I've never cracked a screen. The fact that I've done it twice on the same model phone seems telling. Good luck!

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
YES!!! I bought my S8 on 7/29, no screen protector and a minimal case. On 9/2 I dropped the phone- it was in my lap while getting out of the car and it hit the parking lot pretty hard- not surprised the screen pretty much shattered. Thank god I paid for Geek Squad- because the model is so new, I didn't have to pay the co-pay. With new phone in hand, I bought a screen protector and had it installed at Best Buy, but kept the minimal case. Less than a week later, I dropped the phone from about waist high onto a smooth stone floor. Even with the screen protector on, the corner shattered. Now, these are both clearly my fault, however I've had probably close to a dozen different smart phones, including the S7 edge with the same curved screen, and I've never cracked a screen. The fact that I've done it twice on the same model phone seems telling. Good luck!

My girl has the s7 edge and the screen shattered from a short drop. You just got lucky, that's all. The s8/+ isn't any more/less fragile than previous all glass phones. Drop it on hard surfaces and either get lucky or it shatters. Nothing "telling" about it.

psco2007

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Great protection

I'm using a leather flip case without screen protector and have no scratches.
I agree Many people say you don't need any protection.
I do a lot of work outdoors and my previous phone had an Otter box case.
The phone fell out of my pocket and the case didn't protect it at all.
I bought the Ocase for my current phone and it is great.

Attachments

• IMG_20180226_140312_2551.jpg
    IMG_20180226_140312_2551.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 20

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I have only had the S8for couple days but I've always had OtterBox commuter cases on all my phones. I have dropped every single one of them multiple times on hard floors . I've had them bouncing across a concrete driveway on all corners and I have yet to scratch or break a screen.
My belief is a good rugged case makes the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo