S8+ Longterm Durability (My Experience)

cedjunior

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Despite the fragile feel of this phone, and the complaints that the Gorilla Glass 5 sacrifices hardness and scratch resistance for toughness, this phone has held up great for me. Far better than any smart phone I've had.

Granted, I haven't been though a lot of smart phones, I tend to stick with the one I've got for the full 2 years of a contact. But all of the smart phones I've had developed scratches, cracks in the body, dents in the metallic body, or became flexible enough to bend and creak.

I preordered the S8+, so I've had it since the very beginning. I take care of it, but don't baby it. I've swiped the screen while my fingertips were dirty from working on cars, or covered in metal shavings from filing on this and that. I carry it in my front pocket, sometimes I've forgotten and put my keys in the pocket with it. I've managed never to drop it on the ground, though it has slid off the seat of my car and ended up under that seat.

Things I've done to take care of it:

• Never put face down
  • Washed occasionally with soap and water
  • Cleaned the screen with lens wipes

IGQRqQL.jpg

38XRbck.jpg

8hVMDpk.jpg

Yf8l4wA.jpg

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm hard on phones, very, only problem is glass screen protectors keep cracking I'm on number 6 or 7 already but it's a pretty tough phone.I wipe phone but never deliberately run under water since its only water resistant not water proof I had numerous customers come in with charging issues after getting theirs wet allegedly just rinsing it but idk.the AT&T active versions on older galaxy versions were usually more durable in that dept.but mine still looks like I took it out of the box when I remove screen protector and case.good luck and I hope all of ours continue to stay durable and looking/working good

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I don't use soap. A lightly damp microfiber cloth does the trick for me. I keep one at work and several at home. I never have scratches.

kpenland2014

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I just recently got the s8, it's reassuring to know that it will hold up. I'm not normally abusive to my phone. How has the software and battery held up so far? On my s7e after a year, I could tell the battery has degraded some and it became a little laggy. Got worse after another couple months. Had it since it release till I got the s8.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm hard on phones, very, only problem is glass screen protectors keep cracking I'm on number 6 or 7 already but it's a pretty tough phone.I wipe phone but never deliberately run under water since its only water resistant not water proof I had numerous customers come in with charging issues after getting theirs wet allegedly just rinsing it but idk.the AT&T active versions on older galaxy versions were usually more durable in that dept.but mine still looks like I took it out of the box when I remove screen protector and case.good luck and I hope all of ours continue to stay durable and looking/working good

6 or 7 screen protectors? Already?! What the heck are you doing with your phone, playing frisbee with it? That's ludacris...

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
No problem with my s7 edge ever but this frigging s8 plus they keep cracking starts of tiny next day it's huge.no phone don't need to be dropped, tried 4 different brands all same result.rather keep replacing tempered glass screen protectors then LCDs lol.its most likely they cases causing it even though they're supposed to be glass friendly.everyone cracked in middle so far.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
No problem with my s7 edge ever but this frigging s8 plus they keep cracking starts of tiny next day it's huge.no phone don't need to be dropped, tried 4 different brands all same result.rather keep replacing tempered glass screen protectors then LCDs lol.its most likely they cases causing it even though they're supposed to be glass friendly.everyone cracked in middle so far.

Stop wasting your money on glass screen protectors, they aren't needed. I can't remember the last time I used a screen protector. I haven't even used a case on this phone since I got it when it was first released, just a Slickwraps natural wood skin on the back. If you don't treat your expensive phone as if it were made by Fisher Price, nothing will break on it. If you're not even dropping your phone and the screen protectors are cracking on their own, one would think that should tell you something... In other words, it's not the fault of your "frigging s8 plus"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol