Samsung owners help me out - security updates

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I've used wireless charging for years and love it. Still use it daily on my Nexus 7 but haven't had a phone that has it for a number of years and have always missed it. Now Apple are going with wireless charging hopefully that will spur all other phone manufacturers to have it going forwards. Still, I want it now...

I have a Pixel XL as I value security updates amongst other things. I want a Pixel 2, but really want wireless charging and I doubt it will have it, so my question is this. How frequent are security updates? S6/S7/S8 owners - how quickly do you get updates? Do you get them at all? I'm seriously considering jumping to an S8 to get wireless charging but want to know what the security patch situation is like.

Thanks all.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll get a wide range of responses, I'm afraid.

My experience has been great. Monthly updates about a week behind my BlackBerry Priv. I'm on an unlocked S8+, carrier Rogers (Canada).

RiverCity.45

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on the carrier, since updates flow through them. This is different than your Pixel experience, where Google phones get updates directly from them.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used wireless charging for years and love it. Still use it daily on my Nexus 7 but haven't had a phone that has it for a number of years and have always missed it. Now Apple are going with wireless charging hopefully that will spur all other phone manufacturers to have it going forwards. Still, I want it now...

I have a Pixel XL as I value security updates amongst other things. I want a Pixel 2, but really want wireless charging and I doubt it will have it, so my question is this. How frequent are security updates? S6/S7/S8 owners - how quickly do you get updates? Do you get them at all? I'm seriously considering jumping to an S8 to get wireless charging but want to know what the security patch situation is like.

Thanks all.
Unlocked S8 on Verizon. Been getting the monthly patches about a month after release. Currently on the August patch.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'm just trying to gauge how many people are up to date, carrier involvement or not. Perhaps I put too much value on security updates, perhaps not. Hard to tell until something goes wrong I guess.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm just trying to gauge how many people are up to date, carrier involvement or not. Perhaps I put too much value on security updates, perhaps not. Hard to tell until something goes wrong I guess.
I don't think you're putting too much emphasis on security updates. I value them highly myself. I was a bit concerned about them myself when I got my S8 but so far Samsung has done ok as far as I'm concerned. I never got them until mid month on my Nexus 5X so Samsung is only about two weeks behind that.

cass_m

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I got the August patch a few days into August so I'm happy. Unlocked S8 in Canada. I agree security updates are important. Not as concerned about the OS version because I find it doesn't add features I use.

mehofmann

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a S8 active. I'm on att. still on July update. that is the update that is list on the att site. talked to Samsung rep via chat. updates come from Samsung then goes to carrier then carrier pushes them to devices.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm in UK on three network. Getting monthly security updates, on August just now. Tends to be near the end of the month, around 25th or so that I get that month's security updates.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
That's interesting. I've been looking at getting an S8 through them to get 4G Super Voice as they don't support the Pixel. Do you use it? Wondering if it works as well as they claim.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung lagging on updates is just par for the course. My S7 Edge was always way behind and I expected it on the S8+. You would think with the amount of employees they have that they could get updates out faster. At least there hardware is pretty sweet!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm have the Verizon S8+, a I've been getting fairly regular updates. I expect the September update within the next week (before the end of the month).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21