Anyone Jumping Ship from S8 or S8+ to a Newer Release?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of new phones on the horizon. Is the S8 series good enough to stay with, or are you looking to jump to the Note 8, Pixel XL2, V30 or the iPhone X?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
How are you liking it.... Was it a good choice?
I quite like the boxy feel than the curved feel. It certainly gives that extra grip. Loving the SPen so far. And, yes, the 6GB RAM is indeed making a huge difference in performance as well.

Camera and battery too early for me to talk about but I am confident it will be better than S8 as S8 has lesser battery.

Here is my first sketch attached :)

0ab85059139efffd3c7e9c8fab237cae.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I quite like the boxy feel than the curved feel. It certainly gives that extra grip. Loving the SPen so far. And, yes, the 6GB RAM is indeed making a huge difference in performance as well.

Camera and battery too early for me to talk about but I am confident it will be better than S8 as S8 has lesser battery.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/0ab85059139efffd3c7e9c8fab237cae.jpg

I wondered whether the 6gb would make a noticeable difference. I think all top phones should use that as a minimum.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am keeping my S8+ and I bought a Note 8 today. So far with the Note 8, I am very happy with it's performance and features. I expect the battery life to be at least equal or a bit better then the S8+ in the 9 hours that I've had it so far. I think both of these phones will keep my happy for the next year.

I would consider a Pixel phone but I absolutely hate the way Google sells those things every year. You end up waiting weeks just to see some in stock and then the delivery times is weeks in advance. By the time they have some in stock with no wait, I've lost interest and bought something else.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have an S8 that I've had for 5 months. I like the phone overall but I find Bixby so annoying that I'm looking for a new phone. Will look at the V30 when it comes out. Don't know what I'm going to get yet but after years of Samsung they've managed to lose me by forcing Bixby on me.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an S8 that I've had for 5 months. I like the phone overall but I find Bixby so annoying that I'm looking for a new phone. Will look at the V30 when it comes out. Don't know what I'm going to get yet but after years of Samsung they've managed to lose me by forcing Bixby on me.

Why don't you disable Bixby using Package Disabler Pro? It works great. I've disabled it on both my S8+ and my Note 8.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Why don't you disable Bixby using Package Disabler Pro? It works great. I've disabled it on both my S8+ and my Note 8.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If I use Disabler Pro do I lose the ability to do normal updates? How does DP affect other aspects of the phone?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If I use Disabler Pro do I lose the ability to do normal updates? How does DP affect other aspects of the phone?

You will still get normal updates.

I used Smart Switch to copy everything from my S8+ and it also copied the settings and everything that I had disabled in Package Disabler including Bixby. Once that was done, there was an OS update available and I was able to update my phone with no problems and Bixby is still disabled.

I've heard there is an app in the play store that will allow you to remap the Bixby button to some other function, I just haven't tried it yet.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/0ab85059139efffd3c7e9c8fab237cae.jpg
Really good drawing. I'd encourage you to post that for sharing, like to Zedge or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36