Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8plus CDMA want to get it unlocked to use Cricket the network will be GSM.....i know the phone u can switch to GSM getting it unlocked being a CDMA phone will it work on Cricket.
    09-20-2017 07:52 PM
    You would just have to go to settings > mobile networks > more networks > and change the network from CDMA to LTE/GSM and restart your phone. It should work on GSM when you do that.
    eek2002 likes this.
    09-21-2017 07:13 AM
    Actually, it's not that simple. Sprint (and AT&T) are SIM locked, meaning you can't pop in a SIM from another carrier (CDMA does not use SIMs).

You'll have to take it to Sprint and ask them to unlock it for you. Here is Sprint's unlocking policy.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html
    eek2002 likes this.
    09-21-2017 05:19 PM
    (CDMA does not use SIMs).
    Yes they do . You're thinking CDMA from years ago CDMA. They all have SIMs now. I have a SIM inside my Verizon S8+ right now.
    eek2002 likes this.
    09-21-2017 06:35 PM
    Yes they do . You're thinking CDMA from years ago CDMA. They all have SIMs now. I have a SIM inside my Verizon S8+ right now.
    The SIM is for GSM/LTE, not for the CDMA. Verizon phones are SIM unlocked meaning you can pop in an activated SIM from ANY GSM/LTE network and it will work, but not on ANY CDMA network. I have a Verizon S8+ and used it in Okinawa recently. Sprint and AT&T are SIM locked, they have to unlock the SIM for it to work on other GSM/LTE networks.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

For the record, within the next 4 years, Verizon will bring down it's CDMA network (2019 for 2G and 2021 for 3G). Except for "mission critical" customers.
    09-21-2017 06:47 PM
    The SIM is for GSM/LTE, not for the CDMA. Verizon phones are SIM unlocked meaning you can pop in an activated SIM from ANY GSM/LTE network and it will work, but not on ANY CDMA network. I have a Verizon S8+ and used it in Okinawa recently. Sprint and AT&T are SIM locked, they have to unlock the SIM for it to work on other GSM/LTE networks.

For the record, within the next 4 years, Verizon will bring down it's CDMA network (2019 for 2G and 2021 for 3G). Except for "mission critical" customers.
    I get that but saying they don't use them is misleading.

Yes I can slap in any GSM network SIM and it will work in my Verizon one. If you slap in a Sprint one it won't work but not because of the phone not taking SIM cards... But because Sprint won't allow it on their network.

I slap in my Verizon SIM or any other Verizon SIM and it will connect up to Verizon with the information/number on that SIM card.

Yes other networks like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint have to get their phones unlocked for GSM use outside the US (or even inside). Verizon is the only one SIM unlocked but that is due to an agreement for spectrum they did in the past -- not out of the kindness of their hearts.

All in all though -- I was simply saying yes CDMA phones do use SIM cards. They use it to connect to their network just as much as GSM carriers do. .
    09-21-2017 06:51 PM
    I get that but saying they don't use them is misleading.

Yes I can slap in any GSM network SIM and it will work in my Verizon one. If you slap in a Sprint one it won't work but not because of the phone not taking SIM cards... But because Sprint won't allow it on their network.

I slap in my Verizon SIM or any other Verizon SIM and it will connect up to Verizon with the information/number on that SIM card.

Yes other networks like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint have to get their phones unlocked for GSM use outside the US (or even inside). Verizon is the only one SIM unlocked but that is due to an agreement for spectrum they did in the past -- not out of the kindness of their hearts.

All in all though -- I was simply saying yes CDMA phones do use SIM cards. They use it to connect to their network just as much as GSM carriers do. .
    From the article I posted:

"Many Sprint and Verizon phones now have SIM cards, but that isn't because of CDMA. The SIM cards are there for Sprint's and Verizon's 4G LTE networks, because the LTE standard also uses SIM cards. The phones may also have SIM slots to support foreign GSM networks as "world phones."

Roughly, 92% of Verizon's traffic is LTE now. In fact, you can use the HTC U11 on Verizon's network; the U11 doesn't even have CDMA.

I thought T-Mobile phones were unlocked. Another reason while I'll be staying with Big Red for the foreseeable future.

At any rate, the OP will have to ask Sprint to unlock his phone for him.
    eek2002 likes this.
    09-21-2017 07:00 PM
    I have a SIM card in my Sprint S8plus so I just have to get it unlocked. I know a guy that will unlocked it for me, thank you!
    09-22-2017 11:29 AM
    Sprint not unlocking it, I have a store will do it for me.
    09-22-2017 11:30 AM
    Sprint not unlocking it, I have a store will do it for me.
    Good deal.
    eek2002 likes this.
    09-22-2017 04:33 PM