Long Press menu removed after Aug 20th TouchWiz Update to 6.1.50.2

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I hope I can get some great folks here to help me to gather some info regarding this by testing their device and doing some basic troubleshooting. Here is the story.

On August 30th, 2017 my TouchWiz updated to version 6.1.50.2
After it did so, I no longer have the ability to long press and receive the menu. ( As pictured in the first screen shot below.)
Instead I only receive a basic menu. (Shown in the second screen shot below.)

I determined through testing. That this only happens specifically when the "Animation Duration Scale" setting is set to OFF in developer options. Once it's on, even 0.5 the menu will pop up on Long Press on an icon. Off it will give the useless menu.
( See 3rd screen shot below )

I contacted Samsung chat as well as Samsung Phone support. Neither had a clue. The phone agent stated he tried to replicate the issue, but could not. I questioned if maybe even though they were Canadian support, if their variant of the S8 was the Exynos 8895 chipset instead of the Snapdragon 835. He confirmed it was indeed the Snapdragon 835, running the same version of TouchWiz, Exact Same version of the OS and the same model phone all around.

So long story short I. I was told;
"It's been escalated, it MAYBE will be fixed in a future TouchWiz update that they have no ETA on"

So since Samsung as we all know is useless when it comes to support. I am reaching out to you folks.
I would ask if you would help me out by troubleshooting with me to narrow down what device(s).

So my exact phone is as follows:

Samsung Galaxy S8 running the Snapdragon 835
Android Version 7.0
Model SM-G950W
Base Band G950WVLS1AQH1
TouchWiz version: 6.1.50.2

If any folks with the exact same device could check to see if they receive this issue when they turn off "Animation Duration Scale" I would be grateful. Also those running on the Exynos 8895 could check as well and post their results that would be great!

Thanks for you assistance! And please let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Screenshot_20170926-030528.jpg

Screenshot_20170926-031334.jpg

20170926_032827.png

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Appears my persistence with Samsung paid off, I am sure many others as well.
Either way, issue resolved. TouchWiz updated today. Just got the update to 6.1.58.5
And this corrected the issue above!
WOOT!

Last edited:

kpenland2014

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Appears my persistence with Samsung paid off, I am sure many others as well.
Either way, issue resolved. TouchWiz updated today. Just got the update to 6.1.58.5
And this corrected the issue above!
WOOT!
I haven't gotten that update, are you downloading it off of the Galaxy Store? The last update I got was 6.1.09.2, but I downloaded the 6.1.58.5 from APKMirror.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't gotten that update, are you downloading it off of the Galaxy Store? The last update I got was 6.1.09.2, but I downloaded the 6.1.58.5 from APKMirror.

Yup. Galaxy Apps. But I had to actually search TouchWiz, it didn't even come up when I checked for updates in Galaxy Apps. Not until I searched TouchWiz did it say UPDATE.
Did so, issue resolved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc