Using OK Google on earbuds

JasonJay187

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Hey Droids!

So I have the Galaxy S8, I have set up voice for Google (because Bixby is kind of meh) and it works great.
However, I want to know if there is a way to activate voice while the phone is locked on earbuds? Like on iPhone if you hold down the action button Siri pops up, can we do the same? I have the AKG earbuds that the phone is shipped with, but when I hold the action button down when the phone is locked nothing happens. When it is unlocked it pops up fine, but what is the point in that?

I want to be able to use voice while I am using earbuds, walking around and tell my phone to call my mum without needing to unlock my phone for goodness sake! There must be a way!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey Droids!

So I have the Galaxy S8, I have set up voice for Google (because Bixby is kind of meh) and it works great.
However, I want to know if there is a way to activate voice while the phone is locked on earbuds? Like on iPhone if you hold down the action button Siri pops up, can we do the same? I have the AKG earbuds that the phone is shipped with, but when I hold the action button down when the phone is locked nothing happens. When it is unlocked it pops up fine, but what is the point in that?

I want to be able to use voice while I am using earbuds, walking around and tell my phone to call my mum without needing to unlock my phone for goodness sake! There must be a way!
Welcome. :)

I'll move your post to the S8 forum.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You have to go into the Google Search app, then settings under search. From there it's Voice - Hands-free - For wired handsets. Set that to on and you'll get a warning prompt.