help me keep this phone

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Nice phone but, unbeknownst to me, as of 6.0 some clown at google decided to kill push email to save battery. Does nobody get important, timely email anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Nice phone but, unbeknownst to me, as of 6.0 some clown at google decided to kill push email to save battery. Does nobody get important, timely email anymore?

1: go into settings, search for "apps" and click into it.

2: once inside "apps," hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into "special access."

3: once inside special access, go to "optimize battery usage."

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says "apps not optimized" and switch to "all apps."

5: once all your phone's apps are shown, find the app you want to receive notifications as they come through in this case GMAIL, and tap on the switch to turn it off. Yes OFF

Last edited by a moderator:

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, samsung's mail app is there by default and can't be moved. That app absolutely will will not get push notifications until you open it. Not always, but often enough to indicate they made some changes, and not for the better. Gmail? Did they ever fix that app it so it just delivers email without the Apple-like need to arrange it as they see fit?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly, samsung's mail app is there by default and can't be moved. That app absolutely will will not get push notifications until you open it. Not always, but often enough to indicate they made some changes, and not for the better. Gmail? Did they ever fix that app it so it just delivers email without the Apple-like need to arrange it as they see fit?
1. Samsung's Email app will get push if AOD is on. At least as far as I can tell. But I gave Greenify handling Doze so it can be set to aggressive (20min trigger instead of 1hr), and have set Samsung email as exception there.

2. You can turn off categories for Gmail. I was given the option to turn that off the first time they rolled it out and it's been that way ever since for me.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I am using Gmail exclusively for 3 email accounts. My Gmail personal account work and 1 other ISP provided and it works flawless. Push works great as well. I can send myself an email from elsewhere and BOOM it;s there in seconds

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I disabled Samsung's mail app. I use Outlook (personal) and Gmail (company). I get push notifications no worries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463