I've found a way to greatly improve the fingerprint performance. Scan the first fingerprint with the case off. Then put the case on and for the "second finger" scan the same finger again, which will scan a different area of the finger. I focused on the middle/base of the finger with case off and the tip of the finger with the case on. Now, the fingerprint works better in all situations.
    09-29-2017 02:21 PM
    I only scanned mine with the case on from the very start... I'll have to check that it works with it off! HA HA!
    09-29-2017 02:29 PM
    Case on is best approach
    10-01-2017 02:16 PM
    Thanks for the tip, OP. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me. The FPS on my 6P was much better, and I expect the Pixel XL 2 will be, too (low bar, though, it sucks on the S8 imo)
    10-01-2017 04:54 PM
    No difference for me either. The fps of the S8 is very disappointing, compared to my previous S7, which was already not as good as my iPads/iPhones.

To explain why I think it is bad, when I register my finger prints in settings, more than half the time it will fail. It keeps saying I need to cover the sensor entirely, when I'm already doing that!
    10-01-2017 05:00 PM
    No difference for me either. The fps of the S8 is very disappointing, compared to my previous S7, which was already not as good as my iPads/iPhones.

To explain why I think it is bad, when I register my finger prints in settings, more than half the time it will fail. It keeps saying I need to cover the sensor entirely, when I'm already doing that!
    This is what has been keeping me from getting an S8. I’ve had 4 Galaxys with fingerprint scanners and they were all unreliable. I tried multiple scans of the same finger. They always stopped working after a month and had to be deleted and re-entered to get them to work.

I’ve had no issues at all with my old 6P or the LG V20 and G5 I’ve owned...
    10-01-2017 05:21 PM
    Thank God for Iris Scanner. Between that and Smart Unlock (I have 2 parameters based on location and trusted Bluetooth device) I do not have to bother with FPS, although I wish the 2 methods I use were available options within apps for logging in.
    10-02-2017 04:48 AM
    I've not had any issues scanning with or without case. And different cases to boot.
    10-02-2017 10:35 AM