AT&T Galaxy S8 Received multiple group messages with pics that weren't sent to my number

Resilient17

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
This morning at approximately 9:13 am, my Galaxy S8 received multiple text messages (around 30-40) of them all at the same time. I had deleted some earlier message conversations, but nothing else was done with my phone (no updates, restart or backup). When I looked to see what all the messages were, I saw that about 15 that had appeared were group messages (the rest appeared to be ones that I had previously deleted over the past couple of months and restored randomly today at the exact time the group messages were delivered to my phone). I didn't recognize any of the numbers and when I opened the group messages, they all contained photos and bitmojis. I noticed that one number was common amongst the group messages. I contacted AT&T, who first told me it was probably Spam and then said it was a SIM card issue. I'm not sure I believe either of these theories. I noticed that the pictures containing people, had a common woman in them. I Googled the phone number, that was consistent in all the group messages, and was able to obtain her name (her number is an Indiana number and mine is a Texas number). I decided to text the number and ask if she had sent these to me accidwntly and sent a screenshot of one of the group messages that I received. She immediately asked who I was and I provided more details around what had happened. She called and we spoke regarding the photos and what had happened. She was shocked. Another strange thing was the group messages were all old. Some from July and throughout the month of September. My cellphone number is not 1 digit or 2 digits off from any of the numbers on the group message, it was 10 digits off, neither the area code, prefix or any sequence of numbers was similar. The only thing that I can think of was that there was a breach in the Cloud. I did confirm that we are both with AT&T and we both have androids. I have not been able to make it to the AT&T store yet and was hoping that this group could provide me some insight into what could have caused this before I go. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Her account was compromised and used to send spam. It happens. IMO giving information and contacting some one in this situation was a good way to expose PII.

Resilient17

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that I understand? Were my actions right or wrong to do and why? Sorry, I'm not that technical. Also, why did I also get a lot of messages that I had previously deleted reatored at the same time? Trying to wrap my head around thhis and how to prevent my account from being compromised.

Resilient17

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that I understand? Were my actions right or wrong to do and why? Sorry, I'm not that technical. Also, why did I also get a lot of messages that I had previously deleted reatored at the same time? Trying to wrap my head around thhis and how to prevent my account from being compromised.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
If it was just her account compromised that would not explain the old messages not related to her coming back. There's more to it than that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon