Camera comparison iPhone vs. Galaxy

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
9dd1a8533a11c3aac85538d4beec801f.jpg

So I recently purchased the iPhone 8+ and wanted to see the difference in camera quality on both. (To decide which to keep) I'm actually really surprised that the iPhone photo came out so...dark. The S8+ looks way more true to life than the iPhone does. I thought the iPhone was supposed to adjust depending on the surrounding light?...anywho I just figured I'd put this here for those interested in an indoor side by side photo. Most of the outdoor photos are equally as good.

My husband wants me to pick one phone and I'm having such a difficult time. 😔 anyone else come from multiple phones? How did you ultimately decide?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
In low light the Samsung camera is better but the pictures will be a bit grainy.
I actually think that the iPhone camera is more real life and Samsung pictures are a bit over saturated.
Good luck.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I"m going to agree with Technocratic. A few more pictures in varying scenarios may make a difference. I found that overall, the S8 works for me in more scenarios than other phones. Not saying it was the best everywhere mind you. It just performed better overall than a few other Android phones.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
most people here will say take the s8 including me, but it really depends if your invested heavily in ios/app store if so the iPhone may be the better choice for you.

I use a s8+ and iPhone 7, if I had to choose one it would be my s8+ everything

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I tried a few other shots and it's really tough when it comes to outdoor lighting. They both take really great photos when there is a ton of light. iPhone wins because of the portrait mode. Another thing is the shutter seems faster on the iPhone and having kids it's pretty to get the right shot at the right moment because they are constantly moving around.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
SDTRMG is correct. How invested are you in iOS vs Android? The camera is A deciding factor, just not THE ONLY deciding factor.

Having owned an iPhone in the past, I'd recommend the S8+ over the iPhone 8 Plus.

Some other things to consider: Samsung Pay, Chromecast/Miracast support, USB-C vs Lightening, etc.

tr1ad

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
I have both devices, and as of recent with iOS 10 and now 11 the compression ratio applied to iOS photos is horrible. Photos in great lighting or low lighting are grainy / watercolour effect.

Simple example of taking the same photo with both devices will show that the iOS photo is close to a MB in size, while the android/Samsung is closer to 4MB.

I have since moved away from iOS because I rather not walk around with my DSLR

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
SDTRMG is correct. How invested are you in iOS vs Android? The camera is A deciding factor, just not THE ONLY deciding factor.

Having owned an iPhone in the past, I'd recommend the S8+ over the iPhone 8 Plus.

Some other things to consider: Samsung Pay, Chromecast/Miracast support, USB-C vs Lightening, etc.
I'd say I am pretty invested in iOS. I have a MacBook, iPad, Apple watch, Apple TV, as well as an iPhone. Even though I have invested so much into that ecosystem I can't seem to pull myself from Android.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Well I'm glad I didn't buy a phone to use a camera because that would **** me off.

Dude those pictures taken are at to different angles, the camera getting the better picture could be advantaged by the position.
Not sure what different angles you are seeing but the phone were both facing forward side by side in the same lighting...not sure how I could have made a better comparison of the two. I honestly thought it was a good shot. Maybe looks different because the iPhone zooms in closer?

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
In one shot you see the opened door, the other you only see the door jamb. I don't know enough about photographic to know if that would make that much of a difference, but I do know that angle of the light matters in photographic.

You're in a controlled enviroment, can't see why your comparison couldn't have been exactly the same, I'd have nothing to point out then.
If you say so lol. Your perception is just that a perception of what you see. I can't argue with that.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
No offense taken at all, I was laughing because I still couldn't understand what you were seeing about the different angles so I saw it better to just realize that it is your perception of the two images. Oh & Thank you!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'd say I am pretty invested in iOS. I have a MacBook, iPad, Apple watch, Apple TV, as well as an iPhone. Even though I have invested so much into that ecosystem I can't seem to pull myself from Android.

For fiscal reasons, I would recommend staying with the iPhone; because of the money you have spent on the Apple ecosystem. I wasn't that invested that much in the Apple ecosystem.

Because the S8+ is such a good device, I say, "come on over to the dark side!" We have nougat and soon, Oreos!

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I use both devices because I'm also somewhat invested in the apple ecosystem with a iPhone 7, macbook and apple tv. but I can't not use the s8+ it's just to God and beautiful of a device so it's my first pick. I also have a Samsung tablet and android box. looking to get a Samsung computer but can't find any in Canada.